[New England] Booze + Puritan Values

Pancho - Cool! Congrats on your guys event making the news. I tweeted a link to it on the @NE_SoulCalibur account, plus a link to the WMI thread. Hope it continues to grow.

Scha - If you're interested in holding a tournament at UMass, I'm sure people would go. We have held SCII tournaments at MIT and Brandeis College in the past. Usually a good mix of casual student players and hardcore tournament players. If you're just looking to play casually, perhaps traveling to Game Underground in Framingham(Tues/Fri nights) or TnT Pizza in Holyoke(Wed nights) to meet local players and stir up interest would be best.

Tito887 - So, is your tournament a definite go? I'd suggest posting an official thread for it in the Tournament Announcements area. That way, it's out there as a sure thing and you can start generating hype for it.

anybody play at umass boston? i go to grad school/teach there, and i've noticed that there's a tv in the game room that usually has people playing smash. but if there's interest, maybe we can kick them off?
Yeah man I'd be down to scoot down there sometime. Just for future reference, do you have a vehicle as well? There are a few venues I'm sure you'd be interested in if you wanna play Calibur in the Boston area - the closest of which are Dedham and Framingham.

I hope it continues to grow too, and one of the ways it can grow is if we had the pleasure of hosting some of the eastern MA players. We are looking forward to the day you guys come out.

I'll head down next Wednesday! Anyone wanna carpool, I'm 25 min. south of GU so anyone in that area really.

anybody play at umass boston? i go to grad school/teach there, and i've noticed that there's a tv in the game room that usually has people playing smash. but if there's interest, maybe we can kick them off?

Also down for this, basically any Wednesday, Thursday + Weekend nights. I have a few friends that go to UMass Boston, i just gotta get them hyped up!

Pancho/Kona/Ivan - I just realized your appearance on the local news broadcast presents you gentlemen with a very unique opportunity. Upon watching the clip, I realized they spun the whole "keep kids off the street and out of trouble" angle pretty hard. Now, you guys can use that positive press to your advantage.

Allow me to elaborate. Holyoke has a newly elected Mayor who is very young (like 24-25years old) if I'm not mistaken. Now, you guys could try and contact the Mayor by sending a letter or email to his office (it might be at Town Hall) to request an audience with him. Bring a laptop with you, and show him the clip from the News. Tell him you represent a non-profit community outreach program called "Impact". Tell him your mission statement is to help encourage local area kids to get involved in a positive community activity like weekly gaming sessions.Tell him how being a member of the FG community has been a positive influence to you over the years. You may be able to convince him to help sponsor a major event for you guys. Tell him you would like to hold a large tournament at a local area hotel. He may be enthused enough to help you guys get a free venue, because as long as you're spinning the whole "help kids/keep trouble out of the community" angle, he'll listen. Good PR is like gold to a politician. You could also ask if maybe he would solicit the Holyoke Chamber of Commerce to donate some prizes/gift cards/gift certificates to the prize pool.

This would require some effort, but if you guys pull it off, you could possibly be organizing a sponsored major. These unique oppurtunities don't come often, so maybe try and get something big going.

Just a thought.

So the bad news is, I won't be at GU tonight. Tim has plans and my car is still... fucked.

The good news is, as of next week my car is FIXED, and whats more I secured Saturdays off for the forseeable future, meaning in theory I can do sessions Tue/Fri and some Saturdays, as well as make it to BONE's on Sundays. Viciousssss!

I'm gonna try and make it down to Holyoke next week sometime too.

I think you may be on to something, Blackfox. I'll show this to Ivan and see what he thinks about it.

Edit to avoid double posting: I just sent this to him and he loves the idea! Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

Kona - You are very welcome. It's really not that daunting of an idea, either. Citizens all across the country regularly solicit the help of their town and local governments for help and funding for a myriad of community programs, activities, and special interest causes. There are more reasons for him to help you than not. For example, he would be helping to stimulate the local Holyoke economy by holding a major and attracting out-of-staters to come spend money in Holyoke. Also, he would be getting great PR! Not only would he be endearing himself to young voters in Holyoke, he would also be scoring points with the parents of kids attending the major, because their child would be doing something other than getting into trouble. You could even go as far to say that something like this gives kids an outlet to quell their boredom, and we all know that bored kids are more likely to cause trouble (idle hands do the devils work or something like that).

Make your requests clear and concise, and present them with confidence. If he believes that YOU believe that you are not only holding a FG tournament, but helping to make a positive impact on the youth in your community, I'm certain he'll oblige you guys. Also, dress sharp.

Oh, and Kona, everyone just calls me "DS" or "Fox" , don't feel like you have to call me "Blackfox". It feels oddly formal, and we are all friends here.

Kona - You are very welcome. It's really not that daunting of an idea, either. Citizens all across the country regularly solicit the help of their town and local governments for help and funding for a myriad of community programs, activities, and special interest causes. There are more reasons for him to help you than not. For example, he would be helping to stimulate the local Holyoke economy by holding a major and attracting out-of-staters to come spend money in Holyoke. Also, he would be getting great PR! Not only would he be endearing himself to young voters in Holyoke, he would also be scoring points with the parents of kids attending the major, because their child would be doing something other than getting into trouble. You could even go as far to say that something like this gives kids an outlet to quell their boredom, and we all know that bored kids are more likely to cause trouble (idle hands do the devils work or something like that).

Make your requests clear and concise, and present them with confidence. If he believes that YOU believe that you are not only holding a FG tournament, but helping to make a positive impact on the youth in your community, I'm certain he'll oblige you guys. Also, dress sharp.

Oh, and Kona, everyone just calls me "DS" or "Fox" , don't feel like you have to call me "Blackfox". It feels oddly formal, and we are all friends here.
Only referring to you as Blackfox makes you sound like a furry, so I vote for Blackfox. And my name was cool when I was 13 so I ain't gotta explain shit.

Haven't had the chance to get online Due to work.I'll be giving an update Sunday afternoon. I'm currently waiting for a response from a third party. The plan is still to use the Brattleboro venue for a tournamentin March.

yoooo i'm back! gg fri night guys...so whos sessioning up, i've been hard @ work in the lab with raph and alpha
Wassup mang! It's funny, one of the newer 2D players is playing Raph and Alpha as well (as well as NM). I almost thought you were him for a sec until I recognized the name. ;P

Haven't had the chance to get online Due to work.I'll be giving an update Sunday afternoon. I'm currently waiting for a response from a third party. The plan is still to use the Brattleboro venue for a tournamentin March.
Brattleboro, VT?

Back