New gameplay video from gamespot

I like it. It seems as if the 2 players were attempting to show of reversal edge things giving this vid the appearance of slow-motion madness.

Im thinking that when used proper, these slo-mo action shots wont be any worse than whats in Tekken. But I personally like the small cut scenes like that. Makes it interesting to watch.

Good vid though. Thanks for posting it. Show cases some good scenarios not yet seem.

It looks like it's slowing down the pace of the game because we're watching two players that don't know what they're doing spamming supers because they look powerful. And even then it's still two Bo5s in 6 minutes. Gotta wait and see what "good" gameplay looks like before we jump to conclusions. Overall animations look great, voice acting and OST sound great so far, and I'm personally a big fan of the simple UI.

Also here's the youtube link if you don't want to go to gamespot's terrible website:

The game looks gorgeous at 60FPS.

Mitsu
  • 1B looks like it’s back to its SC4 version. Definitely not i14 anymore. Sophitia 4B also looks to be i38–40ish, so not nearly as strong as Ω’s was. Mitsu’s RE doesn’t look all that unsafe on block, but it’s hard to tell.
  • BB looks like it’s i14. I might be counting wrong.
  • AA is i12–13.
  • Entrance to RLC from neutral is ~16 frames.
  • RLC B is ~20 frames. If it’s plus on block, doing RLC B at neutral might be a tricky mixup.
  • His other break attack is ~i35.
  • When he does his CE, there are 10 frames between the spending of meter and the first frame of his CE cutscene (which starts on the 11th frame). There are 16 frames from when the camera returns to normal and his CE hits. The opponent remains frozen for the first 14 of those, so it seems his CE is effectively i12. He also is invincible after the cutscene, apparently. (See 5:18 in the Gamespot footage.)
  • FC 1B can Lethal Hit.
Sophitia
  • CE has 14 frames of startup and lands 26 frames after the camera returns to normal. The opponent is frozen until the 24th frame. In other words, it looks like it’s i17.
  • Flip kicks (Pyrrha’s 44KK) launch backwards over her head now. Reverse ringout potential.
Other
  • Apparently you can RE out of a GI stun.
  • When Sophitia breaks a throw it says “Front Escape.” Weird. As opposed to what?
  • Slide kicks can still ring out.

Sophitia's AS B becomes TAS B during SC.

EDIT: So far it looks like it's just an animation change for 2B B. I'll keep looking to see what other moves SC unlocks.

Last edited:
First of all, this game looks gorgeous now that we can see 2 people actually playing and using the mechanics (nothing against the PSX Interview gameplay). One of my main worries was the Reversal Edge when I saw the PSX footage cos it looked spammable and can get a look out of it; but watching this new videos, I can see that there are more options than I first assumed e.g. Dodging, Ducking, Sidestepping, Backdashing, Blocking and even reacting to what the opponent does after the phase is over. which is great. Plus it seems like they're only vertical so they can easily side-stepped, blocked or GI'd; and it looks like they're put in a counter state if whiffed and punished fast enough. One of my wish is if REs required some meter for usage so player don't go crazy with it and adds an extra layer of risk-reward to the match

Last edited:
another gameplay video showing character select screen

I like that there's a special line when you finish an enemy with a critical edge. Was that in V? I don't remember. The critical edge itself could be sped up though. Don't need quite such a dramatic pause.

It seems that on one of the daliymotion.com SCVI vids, there are a lot of other things about Reversal Edges and Soul Charges that were difficult to grasp just by one playthrough.

I'm betting it's been mentioned here before or elsewhere on 8way--but I'm thinking that during Soul Charge that every hit inflicted against you, you would be penalized by having your Soul Charge time shortened.

One time during that match, I've seen Rugi perform a Reversal Edge while Sophitia was in her Soul Charge state. Her Soul Charge timer froze during the Reversal Edge showdown that Mitsurugi committed. When his Reversal Edge attempt was done, Sophie's Soul Charge timer resumed.

That was the first video that I've seen that had successful GIs being pulled off. I wonder if your Guard Meter is spent on successful GIs as well.

*Random 'ish* -- I would however would like to see Sophitia knock somebody with Reversal Edge 'Tekken's Bryan Fury's ff3' still.

Using GI (green shine) & the new "focus" attack or Reversal Edge (white shine) turns guardMeter to yellow & red, even on whiffs.

New gameplay video http://www.gameblog.fr/news/72709-soul-calibur-vi-on-y-a-joue-nos-impressions-legendaires-avec

Summary of what they said in their preview:

- They enjoyed the game so much it was hard or them to leave..
- Graphics wise they weren't too impressed, but they're aware that game is still Work on progress.
- Devs confirmed to them that (surprisingly) Soul Calibur doesn't have huge E-sport focus.
- From devs also, they're just thinking on making a great and fun fighting game that anyone Hardcore FG fan or Casuals would enjoy.

Last edited:
Back