New SOULCALIBUR Title at E3? *EDIT: Hah! Nope

• Admin
The rumor mills are spinning! With the Facebook Popularity Poll ending last week, people have been wondering if Namco was about to unveil a new SOULCALIBUR title this year at E3. After all, Lost Swords is over a year old now, and was single player only. A new mothership SOULCALIBUR title tends to come out every 3-4 years, so now would be the time to get this party started.

While E3 opens to the public on Tuesday, the event actually begins for the press on Sunday. With the Microsoft keynote airing on Monday morning, and Sony during the evening, we could know the details within the next few days. So be sure to stick to 8WAYRUN to hear the news; as we will try our best to keep you all updated with the relevant information.

In the meantime, lets talk. What do you want out of a new SOULCALIBUR game? What are your expectations? New characters? Guest Characters? A complete reboot to bring back the older characters?

Personally, with Talim winning the popularity poll; I expect her to be in the next title. Hell, the biggest reason I stopped playing SOULCALIBUR was because Talim wasn't in the recent game. Talim is the reason I play fighting games at all. muh talim @BrewtusBibulus and @NeoOutlaw used to come over to my place and play SOULCALIBUR on the Dreamcast; and I was just never into it. It wasn't until Talim in SOULCALIBUR II where I actually got into fighting games.

Jason Axelrod

Jason Axelrod

Owner and Operator of 8WAYRUN
When you (suppose) to promise (NamSHITco) something to your fans which is of great value to them and teasing them with polls and words "something huge" and then giving them NO INFO AT ALL - this is what happens, to me either. I think they love Tekken nowadays more, they don't give a fu ck about Soul series anymore. Thank you

Since my old reply was deleted, I'll just quickly sum it up in a short paragraph. Here goes:

People have played Street Fighter IV for damn near seven years. They didn't play it because of the offline content, they played it because of the competition online. Tekken players don't bitch and moan about story mode, they are invested in the meta of the game.

Soul, you're saying the only thing people are invested in on this website is the gameplay.

You'd be 90% correct.

A large majority of players talk about gameplay and strategy is because that's what drew us to the game in the first place. If Soul Calibur was all about the single player content, it would've died a long time ago.

Tl;Dr

FG players care about gameplay? Who knew.

Edit: This is not a short paragraph. I lied.

Just saying, to get the most sales and the most profit, games have to BE competitive. Whether it's pandering to certain people like implementing sterotypical characters, offering CAS and outfit DLC, balanced gameplay, story modes, unique and new mechanics, amazing netcode,the goal is to attract as many players as possible and make the most money. These days, making a barebone good fighting game isn't gonna cut it. Why do you think they keep using guest characters? $$$$$$$$$$

SC2 lured people in with Link I mean guest characters, modes and gameplay
SC3 lured people in with lots of bonus casual stuff. SC3 arcade tried to get competitive players back by fixing the glitchy mess
SC4 was a good blend of both and lured people in with Stars Wars, online (which kinda sucked and lagged), and skanky outfits like Ivy's strings.
SC5 lured people in with good and balanced gamplay, along with a really good netcode. (They also hoped that replacing vets with tweens would attract more people which was stupid). They tried story until their office got swept under by a tsunami and by F**** tekken.
SC:Lost Swords- they jumped off the wrong end so ignore.

SC6, we can all assume they're gonna try to sell themselves on a good netcode, good gameplay and more modes, since they were heavily criticized for the lack of casual stuff besides CaS. Edit: Again, they want money? They need to step it up. Everyone is being very competitive with each other and that is a fact.

I no peple aready said this but I do it agan... Guy their is NO SC6 atm! How culd sompeople believe that just because Namco did that survey and told there will be an "announcment" soon. If I learned nothing during my time with SoulCaliberV´s development, then that it has been a Poblem for bamco to find a way to bring SC to the next level/i.e. story wise to a new way ect. That´s why they did that Survey its not becase thy want 2 add SC-chars into Tekken who would think of something like that!!?!?? It´s because they don´t know WHAT TO DO WITH A FUTURE INSTALLMENT AND NEED TO KNOW AT LEAST WHICH CHARACTeRS THEY SHOULD FOCUS ON my best bet is that we wil c something towards Tgs or at the end of the year, but my hopes are not really high for that.

Oh and btw. I played and LOVED! SC(DC) at first beause of its story/charucturs and not becz of the fightin engine/gamelay. That came later in my ass.

IIf I learned anything during my time with SoulCaliburV´s development, then that it has been a Problem for Namco to find a way to bring SC to the next level/i.e. story wise to a new way ect.

Please share more.
As someone who doesnt' really follow tekken tho: Is the story in tekken really that "next level" ? Its always the same mishima family, and the characters all look the same with the same costumes and movesets that have minimal changes.

Please share more.
As someone who doesnt' really follow tekken tho: Is the story in tekken really that "next level" ? Its always the same mishima family, and the characters all look the same with the same costumes and movesets that have minimal changes.

They already did that generational leap/Character change in Tekken from Tekken 2 to Tekken 3 and you know what? People liked it way more than the leap and character changes from SCIV to SCV. Just look at the survey... New main character is HATED (Patro) and Jin was liked from the get go! And besides, Tekken is there first and most important fightin game, they like it no matter what and will care for it. SC always seems to be treated like a "stepchild" imo.

To me SCV was the best of the franchise in terms of gameplay mechanics and character balance and thats all i care about. The only thing they really needed to brush up on is a better netcode for online, but im sure they are going to come up with a new gameplay system like they do in every game. They should get rid of the BE's and change them into regular input moves and they should keep CE's but fix the known bugs and glitches they have in SCV.

I know some peeps here are disheartened due to no SCVI, but you're still breathing. What certain people can't do, is voice opinions frivolously and whine like he/she somebody special.That'd turn off anyone from Namco that could be reading. I'm optimistic that SCVI right around the corner irregardless on E3 results. I have faith on that.

As long as it's not that abomination Hentai Lost Swords, I'll be happy. As long as the CAS improves, I'm happy. As long as the gameplay is polished like how SCV is for tourneys, I'll definitely be happy. If they improve single player content, I'll be happy. Heck, it's best to remember that we got SCV when we spoiled brats didn't deserve it.

What MKX did in terms of generational gap, stepping up and going further is perfect! They went 25 years ( 17 was too much i presume for SC ;/ ) ahead and did a great job.
-They told us very great comprehensive story of what happened between those years in good story mode and of course all chars have their nice arcade endings
-They brought back veterans of the series like Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Sonya, Johnny, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Kano, Reptile, Kitana, Mileena and Raiden and made them different in all cool ways and even older
-Replacements are very nicely done cause we have ones with similar style: Kung Jin - Nightwolf, Erron Black - Sektor/Stryker, Kitana with Jade variation, Shang Tsung - Shinnok in one variation
-New characters exist with old in normal terms even if they look the same: Sonya-Cassie-Johnny, Jax-Jaqui,Ferra/Torr-Goro, Scorpion-Takeda
-They even listen to fans and make DLC of characters whose fans really wanted in forums - Tanya and Tremor

And look at this ad tell me what Namco did? NO FU CKIN SH IT. SC5 is barebone game with good mechanics, gameplay and pacing but that's it. It's 2010s years where are DLC characters Namco??? Why wouldn't you gave us Rock, Zasalamel, Talim, Yun Seong, Seong-Mina as DLC ones? Why? Are you fu ckin sell outs?

Uff I made it to the end. My last words are that Netherrealm made very good game with MKX, a new generation of MK game and must have for me! Peace

What MKX did in terms of generational gap, stepping up and going further is perfect! They went 25 years ( 17 was too much i presume for SC ;/ ) ahead and did a great job.
-They told us very great comprehensive story of what happened between those years in good story mode and of course all chars have their nice arcade endings
-They brought back veterans of the series like Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Sonya, Johnny, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Kano, Reptile, Kitana, Mileena and Raiden and made them different in all cool ways and even older
-Replacements are very nicely done cause we have ones with similar style: Kung Jin - Nightwolf, Erron Black - Sektor/Stryker, Kitana with Jade variation, Shang Tsung - Shinnok in one variation
-New characters exist with old in normal terms even if they look the same: Sonya-Cassie-Johnny, Jax-Jaqui,Ferra/Torr-Goro, Scorpion-Takeda
-They even listen to fans and make DLC of characters whose fans really wanted in forums - Tanya and Tremor

And look at this ad tell me what Namco did? NO FU CKIN SH IT. SC5 is barebone game with good mechanics, gameplay and pacing but that's it. It's 2010s years where are DLC characters Namco??? Why wouldn't you gave us Rock, Zasalamel, Talim, Yun Seong, Seong-Mina as DLC ones? Why? Are you fu ckin sell outs?

Uff I made it to the end. My last words are that Netherrealm made very good game with MKX, a new generation of MK game and must have for me! Peace
Namco only care about tekken.

Last edited:
Not trying to be rude but gameplay is the alpha and omega in this genre, as Not a Peacock said SF4 was active for so many years thanks to its gameplay. On the other hand, Soul Calibur franchise is an "anomaly", an expectation. The majority of the FGC is ignoring it and many casuals love it, coming to conclusion that balance is the key to success.
I never said they should completely forget about the gameplay.
Sure it's priority,but other aspects need supervision as well.
They should focus on gameplay AND other single player content for it to be successful and provide the fans with SC7 in the future.
Why do you think SCV flopped?

Live streams

2 Viewers
LuckyNaegi
LuckyNaegi
Soul Still Burns Tournament Run (+ Raid)
1 Viewers
theartfulcannon907
theartfulcannon907
#Demonic/Skullie/Goth Female Wolf GAME ON!#Watch me suck at every game SoulcaliburIV!come watch!

This week's events

SoulCalibur VI EVO Japan side event
Ariake GYM-EX, Tokyo (Tokyo Big Site)
3-chōme-11-1 Ariake, Koto City, Tokyo 135-0063, Japan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca9974
Back