Nightmare Help

TerminatorCortez

[10] Knight
I was wandering... sometimes when i play offline, i have noticed that sometime when my oppenent is down i want to press 33B quickly but it just does a 3B it breaks my game!!!!!!! HOW CAN I FIX THIS???????

Secondly how do u setup ps3 controller because i feel that my setup could be much better its currently the default one...:S

Sorry i might sound like a noob but i just started playing nightmare seriously, i'm a Zaz, Raph and Hilde player...:(.

TerminatorCortez(add me, I live in Windsor, Ontario) :D

Best way to get out any 8wayrun move is to double tap, so in this case double tap 3 for 33B. Might be weird if you are used to holding the direction but it will grow on you in time.

To change your controls just press start in the char select screen and go to options menu (I think that's what it's called) and if you are playing online mostly you can do it from the main menu in options.

As for your location there are some offline players scattered around Ontario (myself included) and we usually meet in toronto. If you are able to travel that'd be awesome (if you are interested) however it is kinda far for you. We have some players in London and Waterloo if you would want to make a shorter trip, and I may go to Windsor every now and then for streetfighter with people in London and some SC if you're available :P

Oh and you can probably post stuff like this in the general discussion thread for NM which is here http://www.8wayrun.com/threads/279-Strategy-Playstyle-Discussion-general-Q-amp-A

after seeing your message I was gonna reopen the old one but you have this one now it seems

For my controller setup I set R1 to B button and R2 to A button. This way I can press X+R1 for B grabs and O+R2 for A+K, since those are the commands that are difficult without binding buttons or playing claw.

Well, you asked me for help, so I guess this is the thread you wanted me to post it in.

Now, keep in mind that while I'm not a bad player, I'm not the greatest.

First, you should stop doing the slow lows online. Lows like 1A, A2A, and 3A+B are pretty bad offline at neutral, and would be punished harshly. Not that these lows never hit offline, but they are rather easy to block, but are made incredibly hard to block online. But do what you want, this is just a "morale code" for offline players to follow online.

Next, I wouldn't whore out 4KK as much as you do. The second K can be easily ducked, leaving you wide open for punishment. My dumbass contradicted this by getting hit with the second K nearly every time you did it. I was trying to TC it with Voldo's A+B. Using 4K by itself isn't entirely bad, as it can mess with your opponent's mind. You can also try 4[K]B:B, but don't expect that to fool your opponent all the time.

I also strongly consider learning Nightmare's frames. You were attacking even at -11, meaning you were doing i30 moves. That isn't good, as you saw. I started interrupting you with A+B and 3BB.

You need to mix it up a bit more. GS A is good, but if that's all you do, then you're going to have a hard time. If you know I'm going to duck, go into an empty GS and hit me with a WR B or try and space me with GS B. Against Voldo, his A+B shuts down 33B at close range. The only options you have against A+B are a DELAYED GS A or GS A+B.

Don't ignore 11K, its a beautiful move.

Also, you need to step. Stepping is beautiful. Overall, you need to learn when to roll, ukemi, and when to step. Get your momentum up by moving around, not just attacking.

In Engared's words, grab more. The more you grab, the more they'll duck, the more free 3B/33B's you get.

Finally, just read all the lovely guides our Nightmare mod Tiamat has posted. They're chopped full of material and information I didn't know. You'll find many tech traps, frame traps, combos, set ups, and all sorts of nifty uses for Nightmare's tools you can use to completely dominate and rape people with.

Oh, and one last piece of advice: agA. You seemed to have ag:A down, which is good because its +8. But you need to get A:G:A down, because its +1 AND its i14. Its yummy.

Overall, you've got a way to go, but you want to get better, and that's the first step to getting better. You'll get there, just stick to it.

1A is great at max range as a step killer. When used with spacing its a very deadly move. 3A+B is also very strong when stepping forward, i dont use it much but i can see it being effective when they are anticipating 33B.

1A as a step killer? I can't see that happening. Unless your opponent can't react to 1A, it'll just get blocked.

I really don't use 3A+B, so I can't argue with you on that.

tks alot Death :D ive noticed that too i was using 4KK to much and thanks i never took those frames stuff seriously :D Oh can i pull the Fast JF A:G:A or can ido it with A G+A too

1A as a step killer? I can't see that happening. Unless your opponent can't react to 1A, it'll just get blocked.

I really don't use 3A+B, so I can't argue with you on that.

When u have a working step game and a great mind game on your opponent, it does work. Especially when your opponent is afraid of your 33B.

Hm... well, I guess I've never really tried using it as a step killer. I'll give it a shot.

Its complicated though, you have to step into what seems like the max range of 1A so it baits your opponent to attack or anticipate the iaGa or 33B or start to step. Does not always work but its very damaging especially when the wall is behind them (110 damage wall combo).

Its also useful (keev does this alot) when you are on positive frames for example after 1[A], a:G:a, NH 11K etc. U can "box step", stepping forward then to the side to bait a whiff or to make him freeze. From there 1A is a very good punish or mind F.

I set one of the shoulder buttons on the right side to A (A+K would work too). Then I slide from the A to the G with my thumb, and then hit the mapped shoulder button immediately.

at 1:04, it shows how to do Setsuka's a:G:B, but it's the same motion.

Its also about the slide input, your fingers cannot be on the first a and g buttons for more than a micro second.

Hi, long time no post. =)

Anyway, I see there are a lot of iaga posts always. OK, Let's make things clear.
If you had paid attention on Lau's iaga post one year ago, you should know that there are 4 versions of agA.

ia:G:a (i14) (2 just-frames)
- Damage - 32
- Soul gauge damage - 75~90 in close range, 20 in max range
- Hit pushing range - not far.

agA (around i15~i17)(Fast input)
- Damage - 28
- Soul gauge damage - 75~90
- Hit pushing range - farther.

a~gA (around i18~i21)(Slow input)
- Damage - 28
- Soul gauge damage - 20
- Hit pushing range - farther.

a:GA or A:GA or A:G+A (whatever.... XD) (i22)
- Damage - 32
- Soul gauge damage - 20
- Hit pushing range - not far.

**To execute different version of agA, it all depends on the input timing between A to G (first-two inputs). For example: ia:g, ag, a~g and A:G.

For ia:G:a, the ia:g timing is exactly the same timing of NSS b:A. For the last g:a, there is only 1 frame window for you to input the A. So I set one shoulder button as A for me easier to execute ia:G:a.
Also, you have to have a different timing input for a buffer ia:G:a. Anyway, practise always make things better. Good luck.

Engared, good explanation of 1A and FC2Throw (from another post). I agree. 1A is a good whiff punisher against some slow recovery moves. Even it has no true mix-up, it is still the second best RO tool for Nightmare. If it is one hit to end the match, why not doing it?

1A is pretty good against Mitsu stance shenanigans, until they realize they can jump it, but that only happens if the other player is really ballsy or you play against them often.

Back