Nightmare- The true RO King

Promiethius

[09] Warrior

As we all know, or if you didn't.. Nightmare is extremely good at Ring Outs. in my opinion, he is the best at it in the game because he has multiple ways to RO from every side. Everyone should post hear there RO methods.

Lately I've been playing a very hardcore RO Nightmare and it has been extremely effective. What most people do when they try to RO with NM is the mixup with WS B and FC A+G/B+G. To a beginner this is effective, but if the person is very knowledgeable, it can be stopped rather easily with a 2a, or standing G and break A. I will post other very useful methods to RO instead...because NM has options other than just this.

1a- Do I need to even say anything? Check out the 1a guide, lol.

A+B- Dude, against real fast characters..this is awesome. 19 damage or less? Taki, Raph, Sets,Talim and all those fast lil whores get dealt with by this move. I'm not saying use it like mad, but its real good near the edge of you KNOW there going to try and fight you out of a RO, because there best option is usually a really fast move. This move sends them pretty far to the edge, even if they don't get RO theres great Oki..especially from SC.

B+K- This is great to use when you need to space fighting a char with poop range. Such ass Cass, it can be good vs Mitsu, Talim, Taki, Raph, and many more. Cause once they whiff, you can get a nice NSS A+B or K, which both RO, or set up for Good oki and or techtraps.

WS B- NMs best move. It ROs with GS kk from VERY far away. Its good to use this move just randomly sometimes because its so fast. I believe its the fastest WS B in the game. It also is good vs AGI moves because he uses his fist. For some reason, people don't 2a this move consistently if you do it randomly and go into GS immediately. They only seem to 2a GS if you do it too much...but every once in while is real good. And even if they do, so what? lol. Risk vs reward is in NM favor.

CH 6a- RO to Nightmares left. Dude, people never see this coming for some reason as a RO attempt. A;ga and 6a are great moves to use to kill step and get an easy RO because they are insanely fast. People always think of getting RO from NM from front or behind, not on their sides.

A;Ga- I use this move more than any more for ROs. This not only RO to Nightmare right side, but it does kinda RO infront of him..and if someones lazy on getting up, its an easy GS kk pick up. 15 frame move that has insane range. Even if it trades there flying off. This move RO from REALLY far away guys, and sets up for pressure towards getting RO's and good oki.Its the best step killer in the game if you ask me aswell. Yeah its high, but who gives a damn? Don't use it if they do a TC move, and if they start ducking, thats what you want.

CH- 6k This move is great. Because even if it trades they still get sent. It combos with Gs kk most of the time, and almost all the time when your close to them. its 14 frames....so its really fast. At the edge of the stage, this move is AMAZING because you can do 6k, 6k.... people seem to always try to attack after it again, and when they do you get a trade and a RO.

2[k] GS kk RO. However, the opponent can jump it. i've come to realize that alot of people don't jump this move though, so its kind of good to use every once in a while for RO.

GS kk-Beside that fact this move can connect from various other moves..its quite useful by itself. Yes, it is unsafe but honestly, think of the risk vs reward. NM TC when he GS, if you know they will do highs, or do a move that GS KK beats such as a AGI its really good. Its also good to use just because he glides across the screen very fast..and it RO's from kinda far. It is a mid, and its a NC. If you know your matchups and they can't reverse RO you as a punish attempt on GS kk, this move isn't so bad. If you know the grab break for the reverse RO your opponent will probably attempt you'll be fine. i think its kinda good from long distance. If you hit them, its a RO, if not..they try to do a RO reverse grab, you break it...and set them up for a CH 6k or other RO moves.

Reverse RO options- No, I don't mean B+G, or FC B+G. I mean if they are gonna duck and your back is to the RO, they will more than likely duck, and you can do a good mid for really good damage. And I don't care how you look at it, a 50-70 damage mid combo into Nightmares oki will change the match around regardless of health. Just like if your infront of them and there doing standing G and ready to break A. Go for the B grab and then go into Oki. Since NM oki is so good, you can use the threat of a RO as a weapon for damage and great oki to bring you back into the game.

NM Tech crouch RO game- If your highs are getting too predictable, or 1a isn't working, then what that means is your opponent is either doing a TC move, or ducking you. KNOW once your opponent starts ducking, the game is gonna end soon. You have WS B, which RO from really far away, aswell as 33b, 3b. Which all lead into Tech traps and deadly oki for great damage. IF they start to duck, you should utilize this and RO them or go for huge damage for easy win. Your opponent ducking is the worst thing they can do when fighting NM. If they are doing strong TC moves. Then you shouldn't be using highs at all really...you should be waiting for there TC move so you can either Step it ( cause most TC moves are linear as hell ) and punish with WS B combos. OR block it and go for mixup with grab or WS moves.

Wall game- If there is no way to RO your opponent. You should know, NM is the best wall character in Soul Calibur 4. 2[k] GS kk, and GS kk mixup after wall splat is the greatess thing ever. If your not sure what that is, its in one of the other threads. ( Probably Tiamats guide )

I've been using NM RO game as a tactical weapon for damage when RO's aren't working, and RO's in general. Keeping your opponent in fear with RO's is a great way to play NM because just about all his attacks send you near the edge, and if they are always in fear of RO, they aren't playing SC4. There playing " i need to not get RO, lol " and thats an easy win...

Granted, this strategy is best used when you KNOW your matchups. I say this because you know how to apply tactics when your not able to get easy RO's because of TC moves and other problems you might run into.

I love Nightmare too, but Hilde is a better RO artist if you can use her charge-ups well (in my opinion, for what that's worth)

He is the best wall character, though

I do like WR > GS KK a lot. Having good reaction to block lows and duck highs equals instant death most of the time.

CH GS A > 6K > GS KK covers a huge distance too, so it's good to make sure you know when you can use this combo instead of 4KK.

I'd hope that most Nightmare players know most of what you posted already.

Well I figure it helps to have this RO info easy to see for newer players.

if you GI them your RO mixup is:
bA6 GS KK (unblockable if done fast enough)
66B/4B (punish re-GI attempt) 4B actually RO really well so maybe worth using here

pretty much any move that does a knockdown can be a potential RO tool

i find it amusing to ring out someone with A+K or FC 3B or far hit 33B6 GSA+B or far hit NSS [A] NSS bA

Yeah Nighty's RO skills are 1337 =D, my favorite is when you GI them and if they don't Re-Gi you A+K close to the edge and it gets them it's like Nightmare is doing a power-slam-dunk with his claw >: D, but i truly believe he rings out best after GI and they try to Re-GI, since most of thems pros are doing it now a days =)

So this is a list on a setup I created based on people whom are trying to Re-GI, for instance... -Downed- 2A+B 3B, most people are going to get up and block and attempt to Re-GI so after the 3B you can literally use any of these setups below > for punishing.
-AGA (Delayed i21 slowest?)
-3AA RO's to the right
-1A GS KK The staple RO, RO Front and to the leftish side
-1Ak This one has to be right at the edge, RO right
-4A GSKK Guaranteed, catches all direction, RO front
-8A/9A RO right
-66A/66A GSKK, both RO front
-6B:B RO front (Note about this, i've just realize if you have A+B, or Downed 2A+B [Soul Charged] and get this JF it's turns into a GB =D [-5 on block, not so bad =)! for Nighty]
-3B/3B GSKK/3 GSA/3 GSKK/3 NSA+B (All guaranteed^-^) RO all front
-1 NS K RO front
-4B Massive front
-FC B GSKK front
-FC 3B front-right AT
-8B/9B front
-66B front
-22B/88B front
-44B GSKK techable and character specificish, RO front
-44B NS [A] NS K (Semi close to closest after NS [A] hit range) or NS [A] NS A+B (Farthest to mid after NS [A] hit range) can only work if they tech, catches all directions. RO front
-3[K] RO left
-8K/9K front
-66K massive front RO
-A+B front
-66A+B front
-66B+K front
-GS B6 GS KK front
-GS A+B front
-NS [A] K or A+B both is exactly range, front RO (Edit: A+B does not if Re-GI, but after the 2A+B > 3B -!Blocked- it would.)
-NS K front
-NS A+B GS KK front, or any tech traps that relaunches

My favorite one is NS [A] K or A+B, because you get a step back from GI, punishes Re-Gi'ers, and does RO :D.

-Note this can work for any GI situations and these don't need to be RO situations either and can just be used for mass damage at least...,other setups such as attacks like WS K, 4KK, 11K if -blocked- you 6G/3G right after the block, a guard impact that catches everything in !13-!19 (if they do retaliate back, but it's very likely), but you still need to determine the Highs and Lows. =D

The true RO King = Nighty <3 >:3

if you GI them your RO mixup is:
bA6 GS KK (unblockable if done fast enough)
66B/4B (punish re-GI attempt) 4B actually RO really well so maybe worth using here

Ahh bA6 GS KK = Sword slap to the face, then rush kick to the balls, then roundhouse to the chest, how mean can you be? xP...

CH GS A > 6K > GS KK covers a huge distance too, so it's good to make sure you know when you can use this combo instead of 4KK.

I'd hope that most Nightmare players know most of what you posted already.

Hmm CH GS A > 6K > GS KK isn't working for me the GS doesn't get close enough, only time this would actually work if they were close to a wall and that will = !W =P.

Hmm CH GS A > 6K > GS KK isn't working for me the GS doesn't get close enough, only time this would actually work if they were close to a wall and that will = !W =P.
When I said "to make sure you know when you can use it" I referred to when the distance they slide after CH 6K is shortened by a wall or a ring's edge (they get stuck in the sliding animation but stay in the same place by a stage obstacle and don't slide out). When this happens they stay within GS KK range-- you can also do :2::3::6: (delay) KK to extend the range a bit. Basically use 6K over 4KK when 4KK won't wall splat or RO but 6K > GS KK will

When I said "to make sure you know when you can use it" I referred to when the distance they slide after CH 6K is shortened by a wall or a ring's edge (they get stuck in the sliding animation but stay in the same place by a stage obstacle and don't slide out). When this happens they stay within GS KK range-- you can also do :2::3::6: (delay) KK to extend the range a bit. Basically use 6K over 4KK when 4KK won't wall splat or RO but 6K > GS KK will

Ahh that's right, kinda like 66A GS KK, but it works if they inclosed by a wall or edge, :P

66A GS KK is crazy in terms of the RO distance it can offer.

Don't forget step aB NSS K is quite useful as well, given that the NSS K is much easier to connect on side hit.

Also keep in mind that agA and iagA have different RO properties. agA can RO from a much greater distance than iagA, particularly to NM's right.

66A GS KK is crazy in terms of the RO distance it can offer.

Don't forget step aB NSS K is quite useful as well, given that the NSS K is much easier to connect on side hit.

Also keep in mind that agA and iagA have different RO properties. agA can RO from a much greater distance than iagA, particularly to NM's right.

But iaga is better in everyother situation T__T, Combos, wall splats, and better when doing an air combo with, also has better frames on block. =)

Trust me, I know that iagA is awesome, but don't forget that this is the RO thread. In that one area, agA is stronger than iagA. I think ideally, the aim is to know when to use iagA to take the damage and frames, and when to use agA to take the RO.

iagA -> GS KK is a combo if they don't tech... that by itself will make iagA RO better sometimes... so it kinda depends

-LAU

Back