Nightmare's JF agA

Okay, so I've been trying to get this buttfucker of a move down for the longest time. Just wasn't happening, and as helpful as most of you guys were, I hate all your methods. They require two fingers/hands. Fuck that.

Now, I realize I'm in a different situation than a lot of players because I only use eight button sticks, but it pays off in dividends here:

layoutnd.gif

Slide the index finger across the bottom three buttons. It's as simple as it should be like this. Like two hours of practice in online matches earlier and I'm getting iagA at least 80% of the time. I'd really surprise myself if I didn't have this completely down by the weekend.

The added benefit to this is that you don't have to lose your Edge macro if you like that sort of thing, nor do you have to compromise by putting it in an awkward spot since Nightmare doesn't have any BE moves off an A.

On top of that, since you're doing a proper slide rather than tapping ag~A, you won't get that stupid twitch before the sword swings on the regular input; you'll just throw it right out so even if you're failing iagA, you're still doing better than you were before. Just in the brief time I took this layout online I noticed a really big difference in the way people were dealing with me. It's a very different game when your opponent knows that you can just throw this out 'cause you feel like it.

Srsly, I was shitting on the faces of some players I could just never beat before. This is the ultimate move for anyone who gets off on being a dickhead online. I saw my first true rainbow of rage tonight.

If you want a guaranteed iagA every time on an 8 button stick, (using Nine-L's picture), bind A to LT, G to RT and A to RB. You can keep the rest of the layout as per standard SC5 default for stick. Drag your index finger from the left tip of LT to RB as quickly as you can.

You can then bind A+B+K to LB if you so choose.

Aga is NM's best move? Hardly; you could win several championships with very minimal use of that move. NM's best move is 3(B).

Yeah, but it's not like being able to throw out iagA when you want to is somehow to your detriment because it isn't 3B.

It's not his best move, but it's role in the toolbox is important enough that mastering it isn't even close to optional if you play Nightmare. It's not like it isn't a stepkiller that is + on block, does gauge damage and wall splats.

Yeah, but it's not like being able to throw out iagA when you want to is somehow to your detriment because it isn't 3B.

It's not his best move, but it's role in the toolbox is important enough that mastering it isn't even close to optional if you play Nightmare. It's not like it isn't a stepkiller that is + on block, does gauge damage and wall splats.

It's very easy to learn. Considering all the pad tricks, even on stick it's fairly easy. It's not an EWGF input, it's not umbrella. And outside of specific combos, depending on how you want to play NM its optional. In some match ups it's straight up detrimental.

It's a good move, but not that good.

It's very easy to learn. Considering all the pad tricks, even on stick it's fairly easy. It's not an EWGF input, it's not umbrella. And outside of specific combos, depending on how you want to play NM its optional. In some match ups it's straight up detrimental.

It's a good move, but not that good.
I disagree that it's detrimental in any match ups. If you get read then you get punished for it. No different than any other move in this game. This move has incredible range for 17 frames, great guard damage, opens up your options lots on block with the +frames, plus 60 damage on CH and allows you to really control space. Just be smart about it.

iagA and/or agA are used when your opponent is coming in to rush you down (6A is the easier option from here but is unsafe at some ranges). That is when it is very effective defensively. 3AA can also be used very well here in a similar fashion.

IagA's input is horseshit though so be careful.

iagA and/or agA are used when your opponent is coming in to rush you down (6A is the easier option from here but is unsafe at some ranges). That is when it is very effective defensively. 3AA can also be used very well here in a similar fashion.

IagA's input is horseshit though so be careful.

The input really isn't that bad. KingAce misinterpreted what I was saying. It's not that it's difficult to learn, it's all a matter of getting your buttons setup in a way that works for you. Once you do that, it's pretty crazy how easy it is to just throw out.

I use iaga for spacing, guard damage, frame traps, kill step, punishment and just about everything else you can think of lol. For me tip range iaga is where I play Nightmare from. Nightmare doesn't have any good punishment options when their at -16 thru -19 without using BE. His main options are 6a or iaga. iaga does twice the damage and great knock down/ring out/wall splat opportunity. Usually moves that leave them at -16 thru -19 are heavy hitters so you got to punish these hard otherwise there's no reason for them to not use them.

Is it actually possible to punish something at -16 with iaga? You have no extra frames for execution, and I don't think you can buffer JFs? I can punish stab with iaga, but that's pretty hard and stab is -18.

Siegfried and NM have different start-up frames on their agAs. NM's iagA is i16, while Sieg's is i17.
Oh yeah, fuck. I forgot this was the NM SA. I was just checking my alerts. I thought it was the Sieg SA for a second because they both have an iagA thread.

Finally got a chance to try it, and it does work. Actually wasn't as hard as I expected.

Pyrrha 3B is -16, but it pushes out far enough that 66K whiffs, and I felt bad punishing a 3B with 3K.

Back