One year in, how do you rank Soulcalibur VI relative to the rest of the series?

If pressed for a choice, where would you rank Soulcalibur VI as an entry in the franchise?

• The best there has been

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Tied for first

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Second best

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Tied for second

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Third best

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Tied for third

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Fourth best

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Fifth best

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Sixth best

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seventh best or below (yikes)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I will definitely agree with CE being mapped to one button is not good imo. I much more preferred them in SCV where you had to do two quarters first. It was still very easy to perform manually but thanks to those quarters you weren't able to do it willy nilly as a second thought or use it as a panic button

Last edited:
There are things I wish were different in SC6 (not a fan of RE, pacing gets slowed down by very long animations like CE, I wish CEs were less safe, visual effects are too distracting sometimes, I don't like any of the new characters, and some other SC games had better rosters), but when it comes to an SC game I would have the most fun playing right now (either if it's singleplayer or multiplayer), it's SC6. So that gets my vote.

If I were to rank the entire series, it would probably be something like this:
  1. SC6
  2. SC4 - Horrible netcode, but best roster in the series and I like the movesets in the game. Okay singleplayer content.
  3. SC3 - Great singleplayer content and roster, and did a great job evolving many movesets. Just too bad about the bugs.
  4. SC2 - Good singleplayer content. The game is still fun to play today, but it's hard to go back to since I prefer the roster and movesets of later games.
  5. SC5 - It's a fun game and they finally made a playable netcode, but roster and singleplayer content are both abysmal.
  6. SC1 and SE tied. Those are the two games I've played the least so I can't really judge them. I started the series with SC2.

Last edited:
SC3 was the last arcade Soul Calibur game.

The mixup still exists, your argument is one of preference rather than simplification. In the feedback you should ask for the option to have the original throw break command.

Then don't use the shoulder buttons if it bothers you that much. Apart from the throw break you can execute these commands with just four buttons.

I get it you get no satisfaction from playing characters with little to no execution. All I can say is pick characters that do require a level of execution. Even though Nightmare has a satisfying just frame :bA: from :3::(B):, Gules Obliteration ruins the character for you.

SC3 was the last arcade Soul Calibur game

My point exactly, the happy-triggered over simplification started with SCIV, and is at an all time high in SC VI.

Then don't use the shoulder buttons if it bothers you that much. Apart from the throw break you can execute these commands with just four buttons

Thanks for the advice, but it still remains an inferior design philosophy.

I get it you get no satisfaction from playing characters with little to no execution. All I can say is pick characters that do require a level of execution. Even though Nightmare has a satisfying just frame :bA: from :3::(B):, Gul

SC VI is still a good and fun game, the aforementioned design flaws + other elements discussed in this thread prevent it from being stellar.

What's promising is that Motohiro Okubo and the dev team have listened to overwhelming feedback and acknowledged the game can be improved when Season 2 launches.

I will definitely agree with CE being mapped to one button is not good imo. I much more preferred them in SCV where you had to do two quarters first. It was still very easy to perform manually but thanks to those quarters you weren't able to do it willy nilly as a second thought or use it as a panic button

Exactly, in SCV to execute this powerful move the command input required more time and a decent double motion.

Still easy to pull-off, but far from instant gratification.

Exactly, in SCV to execute this powerful move the command input required more time and a decent double motion.

Still easy to pull-off, but far from instant gratification.
Well, you're preaching to the choir as far as RE being too prone to abuse. It's an unbalanced panic button that breaks the pacing of the game, particularly online where stepping becomes more tedious and the lure of constant free meter is too much of a temptation for the newbies on their wifi who you can't avoid no matter what you enter into your settings. The consequence is that matches devolve into rinse and repeat battles where the veteran player can typically still punish enough to get around the RE/CE spamming, but not without such matches devolving into something that is needlessly frustrating and notably unlike traditional, enjoyable SC gameplay that proceeds at a clip and hinges on insightful reads and/or clever lures for the opposition, within the rock-paper-scissors dynamics. At the same time, it prevents the newbie from developing sound strategies for higher level play, through an exploration of the other mechanics / classic SC balance.

But y'know, I was no fan of the SCV CE inputs: it was a cumbersome method that also didn't mesh well with the SC formula and which, frankly, was just one Street Fighter influence too many for that game. I'd point out that there's certainly a happy medium between those two options, but personally, I have no problem with any move, (CEs, unblockables, throws, whatever) being mapped to a single button. That's been a mechanic in SC since forever, and I don't think it really reflects much on whether a particular game in the franchise has sound and balanced mechanics. Soulcalibur has always leaned more on the mental game than on a need tor convoluted inputs. Needless to say, advanced play requires quick reflexes and a nuanced understanding of inputs and timing, but the balance of the demands the game puts on you definitely leans more towards planning, intuitive understanding of mix-ups and more than a spot of mind games, more so than an ability to contort the hand to execute a convoluted sequence of inputs to nail a 52 hit combo.

And CE wouldn't be a problem in and of itself, whether it takes twenty buttons or one, without RE. Many CEs are fairly punishable, being either stepable, slow, or both (not all, of course, but strengths and weaknesses with the mechanic are a part of the balance between characters, so that's understandable). In and of themselves, no single CE is going to wreck an opponents chance to come back completely, except if well executed in a chain, and even then the damage scales. Given how long it would take on average in high level play (and even advanced intermediate play) to put together that amount of meter without RE, and also considering how much more damage one can do with a well planned Soul Charge, CE wouldn't really be abuseable, even if mapped to just the one button, if not for RE itself. It's the two working in concert that makes everything such a f---ing chore: every scrub that's on the ropes will spam the hell out of it, and while a good player can manage to punish more than not even in a laggy situation, the scrub will also follow it up with CE after CE using the free meter. So while the vet will still generally prevail, it will be nothing but an exercise in frustration (and sitting and watching cinematics more than you play) in getting there. Anyway, if there's anything I'd rather have a convoluted input, it's RE. But of course, that would run quite against it's express design purpose of being there to give the casuals a leg up.

There are things I wish were different in SC6 (not a fan of RE, pacing gets slowed down by very long animations like CE, I wish CEs were less safe, visual effects are too distracting sometimes, I don't like any of the new characters, and some other SC games had better rosters), but when it comes to an SC game I would have the most fun playing right now (either if it's singleplayer or multiplayer), it's SC6. So that gets my vote.

If I were to rank the entire series, it would probably be something like this:
  1. SC6
  2. SC4 - Horrible netcode, but best roster in the series and I like the movesets in the game. Okay singleplayer content.
  3. SC3 - Great singleplayer content and roster, and did a great job evolving many movesets. Just too bad about the bugs.
  4. SC2 - Good singleplayer content. The game is still fun to play today, but it's hard to go back to since I prefer the roster and movesets of later games.
  5. SC5 - It's a fun game and they finally made a playable netcode, but roster and singleplayer content are both abysmal.
  6. SC1 and SE tied. Those are the two games I've played the least so I can't really judge them. I started the series with SC2.
I knew there was a reason I liked you, FQ: you may be the only other person on this board rational and objective enough to recognize that SCIV is actually one of the strongest entries in the series and that the maligning it often faces is more about a constructed community fiction about its offerings than legitimate complaints. Not that it was a perfect game by any means--flaws, it certainly had. It's just that many of the complaints are inaccurate--sometimes so inaccurate I wonder whether the people making the claims even played very much of it.

Last edited:
The SoulCalibur games such as IV and V were not that bad objectively. It's just Namco did not adopt the style of letting a game grow until VI, so there was nothing in place to fix errors or issues as these games had no arcade releases to iron them out, and no developmental support to address fan complaints.

Those days are hopefully gone

The SoulCalibur games such as IV and V were not that bad objectively. It's just Namco did not adopt the style of letting a game grow until VI, so there was nothing in place to fix errors or issues as these games had no arcade releases to iron them out, and no developmental support to address fan complaints.

Those days are hopefully gone
Gameplay-wise SCV was actually pretty darn good. Balance was quite bad tho and introduction of ball wielding gipsy didn't helped that.

@Rusted Blade
I will still agree with @Byros on CE mapped to a single button being a bad idea. Supers' startup is really fast and that in of itself should require a little bit more than a single button especially considering spammy nature of this game and the fact that those moves deal like 1/3 of a health bar.

Since someone coincidentally bumped the thread immediately after the one-year mark, I've updated the title accordingly. I'm not sure we know that much more than we did three months ago, though--in terms of what the game will look like in the coming meta(s). Still, a year in is as good a place as any to take stock.

Last edited:
Back