NM vs Kami vs CaS and about low throws

Darzaire

[08] Mercenary
Keeping this to one topic. Before you read, realize that I AM A NUB!!! I started on Soul Calibur with this game, and I don't play overly often.

Firstly, what are the differences between Nightmare, Kamikirimusi, and NM's CaS? I don't mean just the basics like Kami is faster but NM has more range, I'm being nitpicky. Unless those are the only differences, then nevermind.

Secondly, I hear a lot of NM players say that his low throws are incredibly useful, especially the one throwing backward. I can't think of a good purpose for them other than mixup and mindgames. Is this all they're for? The only other thing I think of is for ROs, but he has a move for it in every direction.

There are no differences between the CAS characters, Kami, and Nighty except for range and hitbox issues. Also, there's nothing wrong with having more RO options, especially if they come from crouch.

Kami has a smaller hitbox and range, while CAS characters just have slightly glitchy hitboxes (I think they have the same range as Nighty, though). Bonus and CAS characters are banned in tourneys anyway (In case you don't know, its because of Shura and Scheherawhateverthefuckhernameis).

Shura I can understand, but what's wrong with Scherazade? That's stupid, I prefer Kami over NM. They should just ban those two and CaS. CaS, I can understand with the glitchy hitboxes...

Scherazade has longer range too. Regardless of whether you like Kami or not, she has weaker range, as well as a different hitbox. Bamco clearly rushed the bonus characters, so that's why most people don't care to have them in tourneys.

I thought we disproved the whole Shura thing? She doesn't have any longer range than Cervy, except on her offhand sword... and the offhand sword attacks are so minimal in range that the range increase is hardly game-breaking.

It IS confirmed that Scherezade has SIGNIFICANTLY more range than Amy, though. The tradeoff, of course, is that she has a bigger hitbox, but that's hardly a balance for the increased range that she gets.

The difference between NM and Kami is that while both of them generally count as 'mid-weights' (heavyweights being Asta, Rock and Vader; lightweights being Amy and Talim; superlightweights being Yoda), NM has a wider hitbox, making him easier to hit while retaining standard launch distance, making him ideally the easiest character to juggle. On the other hand (pun not intended), NM's fist attacks are longer range than Kami's.

Oh, and about the crouch throw? They're an excellent mixup option from Grim Stride, since all GS moves are high/mid, and GS puts you in a FC. If your opponent knows you like to 66K6~GS KK, mix it up with 66K6, Flapjack to start screwing with them =D

I thought we disproved the whole Shura thing? She doesn't have any longer range than Cervy, except on her offhand sword... and the offhand sword attacks are so minimal in range that the range increase is hardly game-breaking.

Disprove what? Shura gets combos that Cervy doesn't because of that extra range. Furthermore, it makes more than a small difference for some moves.

Hm, I guess I haven't seen anything like that beyond my own testing. I guess the 'extra combos' are ban-worthy if it doesn't mean Shura has some other compromise to make like hitbox issues or whatever.

Hm, I guess I haven't seen anything like that beyond my own testing. I guess the 'extra combos' are ban-worthy if it doesn't mean Shura has some other compromise to make like hitbox issues or whatever.

Exactly. She can do things the programmers never really intended, and gives you no practical reason to use Cervy over her. Its a shame Bamco made the bonus characters a waste of time, but that's how it is.

Edit: I know this post is effin' old.... but I must say that I've changed my mind on this, since the extra range won't break the game, afaik.

Nightmare gets combos that Kami doesn't. To my knowledge, Kami doesn't have any that Nightmare doesn't. By that logic, Nightmare should be banned and his players should be forced to play Kami.

That's what you're saying, anyway.

Also, I guess I was right; low throws are only good for mixup and mindgames. Oh well, mindgames are certainly useful AND fun.

the low throw is funny... with your BT you can B+K them while they're running up to you after they get tossed and they wont know what hit them. hehe.

FC B+G gives good okizeme because they are forced to block 66B. once they are standing up blocking to be ready for that you can start doing other things like 11B (or just do that in the first place) among other things

I was wondering if Kami has any serious whiffing issues compared to nightmare. I know her range is shorter, and was wondering if any of Nighty's staple combos whiff with her. I haven't played her enough to see for myself.

FC B+G gives good okizeme because they are forced to block 66B. once they are standing up blocking to be ready for that you can start doing other things like 11B (or just do that in the first place) among other things

You can evade 66B post FC B+G. Maybe char dependent (as always)

I was wondering if Kami has any serious whiffing issues compared to nightmare. I know her range is shorter, and was wondering if any of Nighty's staple combos whiff with her. I haven't played her enough to see for myself.

try doing CH GS A > 4KK combo with Kami against nightmare. it will never ever work

Greven: I haven't tested every character but I've never seen it evaded. but yeah, probably some characters can sideroll it

Thanks for replying. So I guess then that there is some combo whiff issues. I finally got to play on PSN though. I was happy to find that I could win around half the time. Except in rank where I counldn't win much. Only annoying thing was that finding matches was slighty difficult so I hosted my own. I fought a pretty good Amy and we ended up 2 to 2. We both got down to nearly any health and I won by accidenty inputting 44AB out of panic. I didn't have as much luck with Kami though.

Too be honest, if you're not too serious about things, the differences between Kami and Nightmare aren't going to be noticeable. You're better off playing NM, but if for w/e reason you like looking at a girl when stabbing people through, then it really won't matter. I personally think that the animations for NM's moves don't make sense when your character doesn't have a giant claw. It's nothing against Kami really; she'd probably be pretty cool if she had her own unique moveset.

ok I have a question about Kami vs Nightmare that I was hoping someone would be able to answer for me. I was playing a match with a friend of mine and I was using Kami instead of NM. He was using Amy and is familiar with the direction where to tech from Flapjack A. Anyway, if i was using NM the 33b would have whiffed, instead with Kami's 33b actually hit! We even tested this in practice mode where I would FC A+G him and he would tech left, right, and backwards. Using Kami, I was able to hit him out of each direction with 33b. I'm gonna do some testing, but if anyone has already done the work of testing this out then could you please explain if it works on other characters or not.

Ok doing the research on my own I found that it is yes Kami's 33b does catch the opponent if they tech to the right from FC A+G. However I also found that certain characters can evade by teching to the right but that window is pretty scattered since I can still catch them but not consistently. The characters that I used that were difficult to catch were Mitsu and Cervy (the current list of characters that I had tested this against were Mitsu, Cervy, Sophie, and Amy so far).

Back