On Winning

Losing is one of the most difficult things to deal with. A loss implies that you are wrong- your methods are wrong, your thinking is wrong. It suggests that- if I am wrong about this, what else am I wrong about? It can be a crippling, destabilizing event that damages your ego into disrepair.

But what about when you’re ready to change? What happens when you accept your loss for what it is, and you’re ready to begin to fight earnestly? You must throw away guilt and honor and social regard for others. As it turns out, the path to glory is only fit for the ruthless.

Do whatever it takes to win.

Spam your opponent mercilessly with the same move. Play dirty with ringouts, CE traps, and self-perpetuating okizeme situations. Disrespect your opponent to get him to lose his temper. Teabag, taunt, and overkill his corpse.

Anything goes. Honor does not have a meaning in this game.

Now listen carefully- I don’t mean you should log off now and start running naked in the streets.

Honor your opponent in real life, but not in the game.

Imagine being at a tournament. You sit down, plug your controller in. You look your opponent in the eye, you shake his hand. It’s good sportsmanship. Maybe you make some small talk before the match.

On that TV screen, you do the virtual equivalent of killing his parents, eating his children, and raping his wife. I’m talking total war, Genghis Khan, heads on stakes, streets run red. Guys with gas masks and flamethrowers. Burn everything. Flip open the glass cover and smack the big red button.

Scorched earth, nuclear winter, blackened sky, glass craters. Complete and utter annihilation.

In real life, you turn to him and say, “Good game”, and then shake his hand. Maybe go and eat dinner together or hang out and chat afterwards.

In a strange way, fighting in a no-holds-barred, “dishonorable” fashion in the game

is honor.

Holding back your cheap and dirty (read- your strongest) tactics implies that you think less of your opponent, that you do not show him your true strength, all that you have when you are pushed to your limit and nothing else exists besides your desire to win.

“Not fighting seriously would be disrespectful.”

(We do not cheat, or physically harm our opponents because we are civilized men; this is 2012. But were we barbarians, this would be fair game as well.)

The problem is focusing on the now.

If you are trying to win now, you are not trying to get stronger. If you do not get stronger, you will not win in the future.

The only way to get stronger is to do things differently than you are now. Doing new things means you won’t be as good as when you were doing old things (you mess up because you’re trying new things). While you’re messing up, your opponent is probably playing their best- so you’re getting hit.

Thus, you lose until you become better.

The only way to get stronger is to lose. You can lose in practice mode, you can lose in the field, but you must lose somewhere.

(For you FMA fans- that’s the real-world application of Equivalent Exchange.)

The best way to focus on winning is to not focus on winning.

When you are truly focused on winning, you are focused on losing. Or rather- you are focused on learning. Without loss, without taking the time to learn, every day, every chance you get, continuously, you may win now, but you cannot win later. As you learn more, you win more- but you mustn’t stop learning, not for anything or anyone.

After a while of following this… wins and losses become meaningless; there is no joy, no pain, no emotion tied to winning or losing, they are just outcomes and nothing more. You improve as you go, enjoying the process along the way. You are just playing the game and nothing else.

It is not about winning or losing. It is about fighting. It is about the thrill of battle. It is about the adrenaline. It is about knowing yourself, knowing your limits, and pushing past them, gritting your teeth and straining until blood begins to run from your eyes. This is the answer to the question “What is the meaning of life?” It is to struggle. It is the experience… of being human. Of conflict.

This is why you play.

Not to win, but to live.

Forget about winning and losing… then you can start to see-

Fighting as communication.

You never know a man until you fight him.

It’s easy when your mind is clear and you are not wrapped up in the chains of anger and desire to make fast friends with your opponents. Because- you have fought to the death with them… Through multiple lifetimes.

We are descended from barbarians, savages, animals, after all. Violence is what we are attracted to, violence is what we understand. Violence is the basest language that all humans speak.

And you have spoken volumes with your opponent in battle. French, German, Korean, Portuguese- it matters not. Because we are talking in the universal language- and everyone understands the meaning of a cold blade and a boot to the face.

You’ve peeked into their mind, you know their limits, their strengths, their tenacity. Their essence. You know them.

It is much deeper than a layman’s friendship.

It is respect.

This is the true brilliance of fighting games- the enlightenment from brutal violence, the purity of war- and nobody has to die or get hurt.

Splendid, isn’t it?

I totally disagree with "Do whatever it takes to win."
and your philosophy.

My point is that, even in this game, there are some martial virtues you can adhere to as you combat your opponent. There is nothing wrong in choosing a "gentler" and less brutal form of play to win your opponent.

I think you're taking the term "Do whatever it takes to win" to the extreme and it is unfair that you're painting drake out to be some dirty villain who has no morals.

For instance, he isn't advocating slapping the controller out of someone's hand mid-combo.

He doesn't support rubbing someone's upper thigh when you're rushing them down in an effort to distract them.

He doesn't recommend threatening to rub feces over your opponent's car door handle if he doesn't let you win.

I'm not sure u can preach that there is less than a tiny shred of martial virtue.

Fighting with your opponent is a form of communication. If you want to be brutal as can be, and "communicate" that brutality, by all means do so.

I am not interested in dictating what you should or shouldn't do.

Being 100% Ruthless is just one way of playing the game. If anyone does not understand the point of my post and an alternative view to winning..then so be it.

DrakeAldan: I have walked the same path as you did, way back in 2002 when Soul Calibur 2 was just released in the arcades. I know where you are coming from, so it was a delight to see someone putting effort to post their understanding of the game in a coherent and logical manner.

I am advocating something that goes beyond the game and can be reflected in your game. This is just food for thought.

Regards.

Keep in mind this is purely from the competitive point of view. If you're playing the game for other reasons, that's perfectly fine but you've no business trying to sell your preferences as a superior alternative. There's nothing wrong with playing a game casually but it's a two-way street: if you can play the game how you wish to everyone else can how they wish to as well. Our differences are quite in opposition to each other, so we should take extra care not to be offended by them. I don't take it as an offense when my foe chooses to not use throws, ring outs, lows, or choose not to taunt/teabag/overkill me; I hope people I play do not take offense at my choice of using those same abilities to win as we both risk gravely insulting one another with our opposing methods for enjoying the game.

Live and let live, man. Well, except once the timer starts.

Loved your article as always Drake <3

(though i cringed a little at the rape-thing, but that's just my thing.. ultimately it's in the nature of war...)

I would also roughly agree with what Wandrian said. Except that if i notice that my opponent does refrain from using ring-outs or throws in obvious situations (read: i made an error and i trust him to notice) i can get offended by that.
If my opponent does not use "dirty tricks" in every opportunity he gets, he stifles my growth as a player/fighter and i feel disrespected. Then when the real fight starts i will not be prepared for every situation...
I'm not 100% ruthless when fighting against beginners as not to hinder their initial motivation. But holding back against an equal opponent will cripple him and make him weak in the end.

Like in Kendo-Training. We respect each other. We fight and communicate through words and swords to both grow stronger in life and tournaments as well.

I also love that sentence:
"It’s a funny thing. If you have a man, a warrior, and he is not a sadist or psychopath, he will be… laid-back. Easy to get along with. A nice guy."
The more i train kendo, the more i realize how fast your life would be at an end would you fight with real swords. Thinking about that and comparing it to everday situations you grow to be more peaceful and relaxed towards the world around you.

@ dtarchon
I don't get what exactly you're advocating. Not using elemental things like ring-outs? Or not using psychological tricks like tea-bagging? Would like to read your thoughts on what i said...

Little example: I once lost a kendo-match at a tournament against an intermediate opponent who was bigger and heavier than me because he literally threw me out of the ring twice, giving him the point he needed to end the fight. I wasn't prepared for this.

To Wandrian.
Oh my goodness.
"It is about fighting. It is about the thrill of battle."
This is the definitive experience of Soul Calibur and why I have stayed with the title for so many years.
Respect to your opponent is giving your best in battle to WIN.
Honouring your opponent comes from understanding your opponent and his style of play.
The methods you employ is under your control. Do not let "WIN at all costs" SOLELY dictate your style of play but what you want to show in your gameplay.
Is that clear enough?

To Antaiseito.
There are words I left unsaid but since you asked.

Good play only comes when the opponent is on the same level as you.
When the opponent is significantly weaker on some aspects of the game, there are times you should go 100% on him and times when you should be guiding him and exposing him to other areas of your gameplay..
Battles need not be cut-throat all the time. How you battle depends on the person you are battling with, and of course the stakes in a competitive setting.
BUT if the opponent just doesn't get that there are some moves of yours that he has to respect or learn about, feel free to repeat 100x100 times to get your point across. There is no honour involved in such one-sided battles.

And finally there is nothing wrong with having honour in battle. What that means to the individual is of cos to the individual alone. Battling is about the engagement of mind and spirit, so let that be the key motivation to winning.

Ah, i think we're all roughly on the same page here, except words were directed more on competition, tournaments or training with friends.

If you realize you're opponent doesn't get that there are moves he has to respect you can either crush him repeatedly and destroy his spirit to ever fight you or anyone again.. OR explain to him what he should expect and how to react. That's what i meant by communication with words and swords to grow together.
By holding back and NOT telling him anything you disrespect his ability to improve and weaken him in the end.

About honour: I think you should never do or approve of anything that you will regret in the future. If you live with regret you poison yourself and thus your surroundings which will defeat yourself in the end, so the end didn't justify the means.
And as Drake already said: But be prepared that others do not have the same limitations...

Imo A great example that covers every aspect of this discussion is the final duel in "13 Assassins" if anyone watched that.

I see your point now and I do agree to some extent(I personally make it a point not to taunt/overkill & such online the impersonal nature of the experience can make it come across as genuine cruelty), but that's out of context. These articles are more about the purely competitive aspects of the game, especially offline. Usually it's easier to gauge the intent of someone you're sitting beside and not take it personally :P

I want to give Drake a big thanks for these very insightful articles that he has produced over the last few months. They have bee a pleasure to read and have helped me with my game (and not just in SCV too!).

I guess I'll reiterate for the hell of it that it's a shame that these articles' content are not featured anywhere in the game or in the instruction materials. These articles really are mandatory reading if you have any intention of stepping your game up or just want to see how SCV is played properly.

On the issue of "Winning at all costs", I'd more or less say that if I'm practising or messing around, I'm pretty much trying stuff out and playing for fun. I try to be respectful online because the opponent can't tell if I'm a douchebag in real life. As soon as it's a tournament situation, all bets are off and respect becomes an afterthought.

This quote said it all:
On that TV screen, you do the virtual equivalent of killing his parents, eating his children, and raping his wife. I’m talking total war, Genghis Khan, heads on stakes, streets run red. Guys with gas masks and flamethrowers. Burn everything. Flip open the glass cover and smack the big red button.

Scorched earth, nuclear winter, blackened sky, glass craters. Complete and utter annihilation.

There isn't respect or disrespect in this case, it's either win or lose. Do or die.

The worst unsatisfiable results I find are when you either lose because you made glaring errors or you won because your opponent let you get away with abusable bullshit.

The strongest opponents will only be offline. The limitations of online play create a skill cap that is very much reachable, and if you are continually striving to become stronger, you will only stagnate by staying at home.

I very much disagree with this part, but the rest of the article is well written, and i completely agree, play as dirty as possible!

...Can we just have it be an official rule that online versus offline and casual versus competitive 'discussions' aren't allowed yet? -.-

You never see players who play both online and offline defending online as an equal measure. It only comes from online only players.

It's not a debate, or a discussion. Look at NEC for enough examples, once you go offline, you just know the difference. You can't explain it (well, you can, but people dont accept it) until they experience it for themselves.

That's the point of why we shouldn't be having these 'discussions': they're not really discussions at all. All these 'discussions' do is derail threads and end up in arguments where the ignorant or trolls have to have their way until the mods march in. Which is a shame. Oh well.

Sometimes repeating is fine, as not everyone sees every thread. Especially important community lessons like this one.

I disagree, online is a fantastic tool to level up, and get ready for the offline world. You missing out on so much MU experience by playing strictly offline.

For the record (I feel like I need to clarify myself).

Battles need not be cut-throat all the time. How you battle depends on the person you are battling with, and of course the stakes in a competitive setting.
Everything depends on your intention.

What are you trying to do? What is your goal?

If you are practicing, then your goal isn't winning. If you are focusing on changing or improving parts of your game, then your goal isn't winning.

If you are teaching, then your goal isn't winning (unless you happen to be demonstrating how to apply force).

If you are playing casually... how you play is up to you. Some people prefer to "sandbag". I normally play without exerting too much effort (depending on whether I am playing to relax or "playing to play"), but still play "dirty". If there are legitimate opportunities, I take them. It's good training and reinforcement.

I only hold off on actively disrespecting my opponent because there's no sense angering the person I'm playing against when there's nothing to gain.

If your goal is winning (hence the article title), everything else goes out the window. You're not trying to be anyone's friend, you're not here to play pattycake. If you're here to win, brutally murder your opponent (in the game) and never look back.

Taking pity on "weaker players", in any circumstance, can be dangerous. Don't be surprised if you "accidentally" get thrown to death.

Crushing your opponents to the full extent of your capability is consistent and safe. There are no surprises and no regrets, and no one gets confused about their place or the game because you took it easy on them.

If you did your best and you lost, it's your fault.

If you held back and you lost, you lost because you held back. You didn't display your true skill, so your opponent isn't stronger from it, and you gain nothing from the loss. You weren't using everything you've learned, so the data is worthless.

Don't hold back, and you don't waste anyone's time.

I disagree, online is a fantastic tool to level up, and get ready for the offline world. You missing out on so much MU experience by playing strictly offline.
I agree.

Online is great as a training tool, there are no shortage of opponents, plenty of ways to get matchup experience. You can test experimental methods and alternate ways of thinking on live opponents to gauge their viability, or familiarize yourself with punishment while under pressure.

But staying online and never venturing out into reality means that you never see the true game.

Online is practice and casuals. This is due to the physical limitations of online play that follow the rules of physics as we know them. When we have the technology to cut latency out of the picture, offline tournaments will probably just be redundant- but otherwise, a victory online doesn't mean much. It is useful, but it's not representative of a person's true skill, as it's the actual medium that is holding people back.

Tell Altaire I said hi. :D

The word honour is very much a console disease. In arcade culture it is much more dog eat dog and rightly so. FGs are inherintley competitive, the very purpose of playing them is to win. Cheap and dirty tactics are a good thing and it happens offline and online. If I'm offline vs a p. omege player and they B throw me, sure as shit I'm gonna look at their pad until they find a way around it. Look at SF, this kind of stuff is the offline meta game. Punishing fireballs by hearing the motion rather than seeing it etc etc.
This is why I play Alpha, so I can counter your bullshit with EVEN MORE BULLSHIT.
The only bad player is one who knows how to play dirty and doesn't.

My 2c

Live streams

13 Viewers
Saint_Seraphina
Saint_Seraphina
[FR - Vtuber-🦊-(+18)] Une renarde qui va 1V1 son modo ( @lokiisha ) accompagnée d' @albusclara et @The_midnightfox ✨
2 Viewers
not_furuichi
not_furuichi
ソウルキャリバー6
2 Viewers
Uber_Wizard
Uber_Wizard
PS5 SoulCalibur VI 4.16

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member