Overwatch

HydroJames

Shining Sea Dragon
Now that the Beta has been played and the full release will be two weeks from now, I would like to hear from the Beta players on which characters are (in your opinion) among the best and among the worst.

For anyone who comes here for any other reason, then do as you please.

Last edited:
Best: Bastion/Trobjorn/Symmetra/Lucio/Tracer and maybe Mei

Worst: I am going to say Zenyatta only because he seems redundant given the fact that the other support characters are so good. The debuff is nice but I don't think it is much of a comeback mechanic against turrets and dumb stuff. Winston also seems like a relatively weak tank because of his shield dying quickly. I'm not sure about Zanya at all tier wise but she looks awful aesthetically.

I´d probably put Reinhardt and Bastion up there too.
Zenyatta seems like a pretty good support for attacking, he´s the most capable out of the 4 at actually killing people thanks to his debuff and decent projectiles, + his ultimate looks like it would be really good for capturing objectives/protecting the payload.

13102835_406311629539225_2581497352469391598_n.jpg

Long time beta tester here. All of the heroes are good, though one or two are probably on the overpowered side.

Widowmaker and McCree specifically.

Widowmaker deals 150 damage body shots at full charge. Full charge is super easy to get. McCree is 70 damage per shot, with his right click fan the hammer, that's 70 x6 damage. Combined with his stun, fan, roll, fan combo, he tends to eliminate most foes with ease.

Everyone else more or less sits below those two at the moment. Some believe Tracer could also use some slight tweaks. She's far too difficult to hit, let alone kill.

Bastion right now is underpowered. He gets a lot of complaints from newcomers, but experienced players know how to deal with him easily. A big issue with him is how many counters he has. Roadhog can hook him out of turret mode. Reinhardt can charge slam him out of turret mode. Genji's deflect, Tracer's pulse bomb, Pharah rockets, sniper shots, double teaming him works too. You name a character, I can tell you a counter.

Torbjorn had a similar rework like Bastion during beta and he came out better for it. Good Torbs don't lurk with their turrets but go out and skirmish too. Most players don't realize how damaging his right and left clicks are and don't realize his left click has no drop off. A Torb double teaming with his turret is pretty scary.

Again, most characters are in really good shape right now. Yeah, Symmetra probably isn't a real support. Yeah, Winston's shield doesn't last long, and yeah D.va might be a little too vulnerable. But most of those complaints are pretty minor.

I'm Yin on Battle.net. So if you see me, you'll know who you're up against. I usually play as Genji (right now, he's the only that fits me really well), but I do play other heroes like Winston, Lucio and Zarya a bunch.

If you're new to the game, Soldier 76 isn't a bad hero to start off with. Reaper's also really easy to pick up and play. For heroes that aren't offense, Reinhardt, D.va, Lucio and Mercy are also easy characters to play and do well with. Defensive heroes like Junkrat, Mei and Torbjorn are all easy enough to pick up and play.

A few tips:
When on Attack, play offensive heroes, tanks, and support. Defensive heroes just aren't capable of being effective in the long run on attack maps. Since most defensive heroes play mobility, and since all attack maps require physical presences on points or on payloads, it's better to a more mobile support, tank or offense. That means that playing heroes like Widowmaker, Hanzo, Bastion, Mei, Torbjorn, and Junkrat are far less effective than a typical offensive hero, while on attack.

On defense, the inverse is true. Defensive heroes have better sustainability and are more capable of holding a position. So playing snipers, turrets, disruption (Mei) and suppressive fire (Junkrat) works really well. That said, it doesn't hurt to have a flanking type offensive hero (Tracer, Genji, Pharah, Reaper) to round out the defensive team.

Don't be afraid to switch heroes if you're current one isn't working out. It's encouraged and there's no restrictions. It's especially helpful if you're being beaten back by certain team compositions. In one example, an entire team tried to play all Roadhogs to beat our defensive team. Once we all switched over to Reaper, they simply could not get the payload moving and ultimately lost.

Many of the heroes have a lot of certain functions and abilities that make them work better using certain strategies. For example, McCree and Soldier work well paired with Reinhardt in pushing the payload and they're strong team players. Genji, and Tracer tend to be more hit and run types and don't work too well as team players. Reapers really effective against tanky, bulky, high HP heroes like tanks, and defensive heroes, and less effective on offensive heroes. Winston and D.va are highly effective against snipers and can leap or fly straight up to them and dispatch them pretty quickly. Reinhardt works best when shielding other players and providing cover for most effective offensive types.

Ultimately, teamwork is essential. If you're Genji or Tracer and your team is having trouble keeping the point defended, go in and help them control it; even if its not what you're best at. Likewise, don't be the sole defensive sniper on an attacking team. You're not helping nearly as much as you think you are. Kills don't matter as much as getting the objective cleared and no sniper is going to be effective at that. Only when you get really skilled and really understand the maps and compositions can playing a different-from-the-norm hero work, though, these types of cases are really rare.

Lastly, don't be afraid to double up on certain types. It's totally okay to have two tanks. One Reinhardt and one Winston can work out really well. A Mercy or Zenyatta and Lucio can be really effective. And having three offensive types doesn't hurt on the attack. Try not to go past three, however, because you do lose effectiveness after a certain point and some heroes can counter certain typings really well.

I heard Mei is troublesome, even more than Bastion.

I have also heard D.Va wasn't much of a threat.

got this game today will be playing it later of today, not sure what to expect

Edit:

Why do ppl say Overwatch is not free to play? Sry, but I don't get it. I mean for some MMORPGS like WoW you have to pay a monthly fee, but there is no actual monthly fee or extra $ you must for Overwatch after you bought this game right? I bought this game for 75$ and can play it online, so I don't rly get why this game is not free to play. I mean it has pay to play DLC content, but this is sth every nowadays games has.
Also these lootboxes, all they give to you are new skins, colours etc? Or can you get new weapons, characters, stages and stuff?

Can someone explain?

Last edited:
You have to pay an initial 40 or 60 dollars to get the game. Free to play means it was free to download and use, but micro-transactions are in place. Tekken Revolution for example is free to play.

Additional Content (DLC) will be added in free of charge. This game does have microtransactions, but they are lenient compared to what I have seen before.

Back