Picking a Playstyle

twinsbrown

[09] Warrior
To establish things, I'm in no way creating this to put down how others play with Talim. There's a fair ammount of Talim Players out there who probably won't need this thread, but there's others who may really need it. When you completely evaluate how you play you may realize that it may not be working for you, and that you may have to change it up. This, I've done several times.

You're pretty much challenging yourself and going into a bad loss against any character when you pick Talim. Instead of putting pressure on the person you're playing, you're putting the pressure on yourself because you have to be 100 times as defensive and 100 times more cautious when you play with her. If you're going into a match to win, you're going to have to completely scrap some of her moves off of her movelist. Alot of her moves are completely useless. There's a select few of crucial moves you'll need to use with her.

BB
AA/AA6B <---- I delay the 6B.
6B
1A+B
WC,WR Mixups
WS K<--- Good Poke
WS A <---- Creates Space on hit
BT stance mixups
11K,A
236B - air combo
11B
22B - air combo
Those are the moves I use most, and her must efficient ones in my eyes.

Moves you should never use unless you know they're going to hit/punish/whatever.

FC3BB
IWC
WL Mixups
etc etc etc. punishable moves.

If I missed anything that should be included, let me know.

To start out some matches, I open up with 22A. The reach on this move is unbelievable, and while it can be ducked, most people won't see it coming at the beginning of a match.

The main reason I'm creating this thread is to delineate the playstyles of some Talim's I've played online in the past (none of them are from here as far as I know, but some may play similarly), and to be up front about the fact that some of the stuff that they do just wouldn't work as easily offline as well as it would online. Alot of Talims straight up abuse AA6BA ~ stances (granted I used to but, I know that's not how she should be played if you really want to win. I never complete AA6BA anymore.). When it comes down to it, you're going to find yourself more reliant on pokes and baiting for your opponent to whiff or misjudge what you're going to do. Some Talim's I've played stay in her WC stance the whole match AA'ing to a win (which is in my opinion the biggest bullshit ever). What about AAB? Nobody ever sees that coming. If you want to win with her, you can't let your playstyle go stale and roll out the same tactics every round of a match. People will see through you like glass if you don't mix it up.

R.O Tactics
(Not just what I use. Feel free to contribute.)
JI 66A
Launcher - 6A+B

Pokes

BB
AA
AA6B
WS K

Combos
BT B 3B[A], IWC
BT B 3B[A] WC B:B, AAB
236B 6A+B
236B WR B+K
There's more, but I usually don't go farther than this in a match.

Again, I'm looking for contributions to this. This is mainly how I find myself playing with her, and alot of the time it works. That goes without saying I win, but it atleast helps damage the opponets health bar and doesn't make matches a complete loss.

Feel free to critique how I play, cause I may need it. I'm always looking for help, and hopefully this thread is helpful to everyone else, though it might useless to everyone, lol. But I felt I needed to address things since Talim does such a suckass job compared to all the other characters in the game.

Here's to hoping this is responded well to.

Hey twins. I read this thread, and while you make a lot of good points, I'm not sure what you want to accomplish with this exactly. If you're trying to put together a list of different strategies to play Talim, then okay. Or is it more for putting together a selection of her most useful/least useful moves?

Anyway, I'd like to contribute by addressing a few things with the list you put up so far.

- As you mentioned, the complete AA6BA string is unsafe to use, and especially if it's used often. But the last two hits are NC and delayable so if you get people to flinch after AA, you get the last 2 hits free w/ transition. It just becomes a mixup game depending on your opponent's tendency to try and punish/interrupt her.

- WS A is a move that for a long time has been underestimated in my opinion. Doing the fastest input version, or iWS A, gives you Talim's only relatively safe mid step-killer in her moveset. Even then certain characters can punish it at -12, but at least it's kinda fast and knocks down on any hit.

- Talim's pokes, in my opinion, are mostly garbage. Her BB is decent, as is her 6B, 2A, and 1K, but they don't provide enough damage or frame advantage to make up for the lack of range or evasiveness of most characters pokes.

- Lastly, FC3BB is likely one of the best moves Talim has. Sure it's unsafe without transition, but the fact that it's delayable and hit confirmable to a certain extent, makes mixing this up with FC3B a viable option. It's also one of her best RO tools.

Other than that here's generally what I like to use

For pokes:
AA/AA6B
2A
BB
6B
3B

Interrupts:
AA/AA6B
2A
BB
6B
4B
1B
3B
iFC3B(B)
K
1A+B

For Range/closing in/anti-Backstep:
4B
6A+B
22A
22B
66B
11B
66A+B (Only sometimes. +1 on block, TCs throughout, and cancellable if opponent tries to GI)

Ringouts: (one of her strong points)
66A (my favorite)
any launcher -> 6A+B
236B -> AS A+B
A throw/44K mixup (yes they can block and mash A. train them to break B)
WS A (safe version of 33A)
33A (TC version of WS A)

Critical Finish:
66B/WL B
11B
6A+B
BB
6B
44A
44B(G) (completely safe w/o transition, forces crouch)
8B
WC B~B or WC B:B
2A+B (grounded only)

In general, playing Talim requires studying and applying a lot of little intricacies to flesh out your strategy. It's really the main reason I like playing her. Sure you could apply the same reasoning to other characters, but why bother if the abuseable tools they have are already so good?

There's lots more to how I play Talim, but those are the basics. And the usefulness of some of her moves varies depending on your opponent's character, or playstyle.

Back