Picking up Setsuka (ie: I've officially gone mad)

Sora

[11] Champion
Hey guys, so as I apparently have a knack of picking up characters with insanely difficult movelists, I've decided to pick up Setsuka as a 2nd main/secondary. Probably will not even get her up to par in time for Evo; this is just moreso for the fun of it (and taking a break from the full-time job that is maining Ivy).

So, aside from the obvious mastery of execution, especially of her JF's, is there anything else I should know while trying to pick up this sexy sultry swordswoman that could make the job -even slightly- easier?

Thanks in advance.

- Sora

PS. Shenrei, I do this for you. :props:

Picking up Setsuka (ie: I've officially gone m

Besides her execution, most good advice can be found around the SA in the Q&A, tech trap and frame data topics. Off the top of my head, the only real tip for learning her that I can give, is that 236 is a shortcut to 8wayrun moves. IE: 216~1A will come out as 11A. And 214 is a shortcut to WS moves. IE: 214B is an instant WS B.

Not a lot of her stuff can be punished by most of the cast, but learn who can punish and after what.

Also, learn her staple combos off of every move, you'll be using them a whole lot. Along with that, keep in mind, in many combos that end with A+K B JF umbrella, that finisher can be switched out with 22A+BA to put them in a better position for her wakeup shenanigans.

Oh dang Sora you surprised me. I seriously read the title, and thought this has Ivyfanboy written all over it.

Hey guys, so as I apparently have a knack of picking up characters with insanely difficult movelists, I've decided to pick up Setsuka as a 2nd main/secondary. Probably will not even get her up to par in time for Evo; this is just moreso for the fun of it (and taking a break from the full-time job that is maining Ivy).

So, aside from the obvious mastery of execution, especially of her JF's, is there anything else I should know while trying to pick up this sexy sultry swordswoman that could make the job -even slightly- easier?

Thanks in advance.

- Sora

PS. Shenrei, I do this for you. :props:

IMO, it's all about the execution in her combos.

It must be perfected to truly make Setsuka shine. Setsuka without good execution on her combos ain't as good as other characters as she ain't as mixup heavy as others.

And memorize the low moves frame data on opponents so you know when to throw the Umbrella without much consequence.

My advice to learning Setsuka, is to get good at the JF's so that they are always at your command whenever you need them. After you get that down, do what Destinizish said and learn her staple combo's and her 214/236 commands. 214 allows you to dick under highs and it lets you step a bit out of the range of some verticle attacks, most specifically Mitsurugi's BB. Develope your own style and practice her complicated match ups, like Segfried or Ivy.

hm...What else? Oh! She rapes Soul Guages. 66A+B, Ab, AgB, 44B+K, and umbrella can produce some quick damage to the Soul Guage. I've literally had my opponent blinking within 10 seconds given the right situation. It can seem a little cheap, but its easiest to win against people when you have them stressing out over a Critical Finish, they start screwing up with trying to Guard impact and trying to up their own pressure game so they can fight you off. But, fight safe, and be smart, and they'll crack under that much stress and you're almost garunteed a win....ALMOST. This won't work on the majority of people from 8WR and other high level players, they'll just work your guage in return. Two blinking guages is never a fun fight, trust me.

Sora, you play with stick or pad? Setsuka is easy on pad, but on stick... good luck.

Sora, you play with stick or pad? Setsuka is easy on pad, but on stick... good luck.

I can play both. I use Ivy on stick for obvious reasons, but I've been playing PS pad long enough to be able to use it still despite playing on stick recently.

Although, I'll probably try using Sets on stick first. I can see the reason for the worry though... XD

Everyone else: Thanks for the tips. I didn't know Sets had a decent SG game. o.o;

And yeah, execution will definitely be key. One of the reasons why I wanted to learn Sets was to use that very sexy umbrella punish. XD

Russian player (OyM) plays Setsu and Yoshi on PS2 Stick (via adapter) his exectution is nearly flawless, you can check out his vids (only yoshi though, but JF unmbrella is same JF as Manji) clicking the link in my sig. Whoever came up with this stick/pad is inferiour to pad/stick has no idea. I think people get this impression b/c they can slide/mash out some JF's in practice mode and think they've got a feel of it, but this is not true, if you ever go for a consistant JF required for tournament play, for combos, punishment etc it is a lot of work and practice no matter if its slide input or not.

Back