Pinning down her just frames.

Cytryz

[08] Mercenary
I want to write this little entry for those that are new to Setsuka. For those who cannot do her just frames consistently or at all, and for those that might wanna try out Setsuka.
When I asked about the timing I never got a really straight forward easy to understand at a noobs level explanation. So I want to make this as easy to read regardless if you just started playing Soul Calibur or you a veteran.

I hope this can help anybody and everybody that wants to play Setsuka for what ever reason.

The moves listed are in order of what you might want to learn first.
I also am assuming your Square = :A:, Triangle = :B:, Circle = :K:, and X = :G:b

JF = Just Frame (precise input)
FC = Full Crouch
BT = Back Towards (opponent)
: before any letter represents thats a Just Frame input

Shade Buster FC :3::aB:
Don't worry about doing it out of her Dawn Haze (:2::1::4:) just yet
Lets focus on just getting the JF ;)
this one is pretty simple
Just keep getting in the crouching position while holding :3: this way your ready for the :aB:. The easiest to do this is to
have your thumb either barely on the :A: or just behind it. You will want to make one clean flick down and towards :B:.
You dont want to push down really hard on the buttons because odds are you will not make it fast enough. I must be a light
and clean flick across the two buttons.
(find a position that your thumb is comfortable with to do the flicking) once you got that down for you doing just frames at least 60% to 70% of the time then you will want to try doing the Shade Buster out of the Dawn Haze

:2::1::4: :3: :aB: (:2::1::4::2: :3::6::aB: is not the required input to activate the just frame.)
A little note when starting out. emphasize the motions of your directions and definitely make sure to hit the :3: before the :aB:

Next the most fun one to practice.

Sakura Air Combo :1::A:::A:::A:
this ones pretty simple

for your first ::A: the timing on this is just before she hits the person with her sword

the next ::A: is just a little bit faster. so get consistant at the first just frame. then once you get the first hit the ::A:
little sooner than you would have for the first JF.

Reverse Blade :1::B:::B:
from what I can tell. This move here has the saming as the Sakura Air Combos first Just Frame. :1::A:[::A:]::A:
follows the same concept. Hit the :B: just a little bit before the blade hits.
Only difference I spotted was its just a different button (correct me if I am wrong.)

Next two also have the same timing as each other.

Shade Thrust. FC :3::B:::B:

like the shade buster practice from crouching before trying to do it out of the Dawn Haze stance.
Timing on this is one is hit the :B: at almost the exact time the umbrella hits the opponent or a just barely before it does.

Exact same rule for the next move

Rainy Moon. (Back Towards) BT :B::+::K:::B:

Finally the Launcher

Rising Moon :aG:::B:
This is real easy to practice if you have any :B:'s assigned to your L1 or R1 buttons. This just makes it easy to hit the :B: in time.

What you want do here is make a nice quick motion from :A: to :G: if done right Setsuka should go to draw her blade
but then cancels. Thats the easy part. The ::B: is located at the very end of your window of opportunity so its not going to
be a super fast motion.

After the :aG: you will want to test how late can you put the :B: in. So this one is pretty much narrowing down the timing.
Trying to get the latest time you can input possible. Make sure your :aG: is a rather consistant speed to make things easier to get the timing. Should be a nice smooth motion for the first button to the last button.

in practice or anywhere if you launch some one you can get them again with the same move. so you dont have to wait til they hit the ground to try for that JF again ;)

Done. now all thats left is to learn her fancy smancy combos. Shade Buster is super important so make sure you learn it ;)
these are not just frames but make sure you learn these(if ya land em you can get massive damage even if you cannot get a combo off it)

Silver Moon Combo :B::+::K: :6::1::B::4::4::B::+::K: (ends with with a slash that moves the opponent out of reach for a follow up)
Sakura Fury Combo :B::+::K: :6::1::B::1::1::A::+::B: (ends with a umbrella that knocks opponents off the ground) *more useful*

having :A::+::B: and :B::+::K: on your L1 and R1 really makes this easier.

I learned something new today. I could never get her Ag:B to work for me. I thought it was a fast input. Good stuff!!

HRD
sc2maxi1.gif

good guide seeing as the reason I never bothered to advance past scrub level setsu us no one had a good list of JF timings

+1000

Hey I'm new to playing Setsuka but I love her style online so much. Being fast is important to me in fighting games. Now, I can pull off most of her just frames offline with ease, but when I play online matches the lag screws me up so bad. I can barely pull off 1b:b, and don't even get me started on pinning down 1a:A:a. I was hoping to get a better understanding of her online just frame timings. The option to play offline for me is not good seeing as I don't live close to a lot of Soul Calibur 4 players.

ok for
Silver Moon Combo :B::+::K: :6::1::B::4::4::B::+::K: (ends with with a slash that moves the opponent out of reach for a follow up)
Sakura Fury Combo :B::+::K: :6::1::B::1::1::A::+::B: (ends with a umbrella that knocks opponents off the ground) *more useful*

is the :4::4::B::+::K: and :1::1::A::+::B: relative to her starting position or her position after 6 1 b ?

Yes. You do it as if you were still on the left side of your opponent, or vice versa.

i dont care if its on the boards or not i just wanna be as good as i can be with as many charecters as possible btw i just started learnin tira man shes crazy

i dont care if its on the boards or not i just wanna be as good as i can be with as many charecters as possible btw i just started learnin tira man shes crazy
Try to stick with one character first. Learning multiple characters is hard. Especially when Setsuka is included in the list.

i did im pretty good with nightmare im learning others to help teach my bro how to play siggy properly he abuses siggys 3b and just starts mixing it up from there but setsukas a+b counters his 3b so he will have to learn another move also how do u setsuka players input that last part i just cant get the last strike

yeah nvm i can do em man their tough i cant do em both from the same side though yet so far i can do b+k from p2 and a+b on p1 but they r so cool also her 1a:A:a is comin along its timing is similar to cervys 3a:b

yeah nvm i can do em man their tough i cant do em both from the same side though yet so far i can do b+k from p2 and a+b on p1 but they r so cool also her 1a:A:a is comin along its timing is similar to cervys 3a:b
I have a little trick... Do B+K then :6::1::1::1:A+B A+B A+B. Tap A+B instead of doing :6::1:B then :1::1:A+B

So I've looked for this elsewhere and couldn't find anything about it, this is also a pretty silly question so I apologize for that.
With Setsuka's 3aB, does the JF depend on the time between the aB or does it depend on the timing with the previous attack?
For the record, I'm completely new to competitive soul calibur (if you couldn't guess lol) but I'm coming from a background with a lot of 2d fighter experience.

So I've looked for this elsewhere and couldn't find anything about it, this is also a pretty silly question so I apologize for that.
With Setsuka's 3aB, does the JF depend on the time between the aB or does it depend on the timing with the previous attack?
For the record, I'm completely new to competitive soul calibur (if you couldn't guess lol) but I'm coming from a background with a lot of 2d fighter experience.

You can do the JF umbrella in two different ways, the first one is from neutral position, you can do the JF umbrella in neutral position just sliding your finger as fast as possible betwen A and B, the 2143 doesn´t matters, just focus in the aB slide.

The other way is buffer the umbrella, you know, doing a move, and when the animation of this move is not finish yet you have to do the umbrella, then the aB slide doesn´t matters, but each move have a different buffering timming for the umbrella to comes out in JF, wich is very annoying, I use to buffer the umbrella when Setsuka is drawing her sword, it use to be the correct time to do it and make it JF.

PS: Sorry for the horrible english xD

lol no that was very helpful :] thank you.
I'm still having a lot of trouble with the neutral JF umbrella, but doing it from 214B+G and 33B is getting easier.

Back