Pirate Killing: Anti-Cervantes

A_Bad_Idea

[09] Warrior
I don't know what it is about this rotten old pirate, but I can't ever beat him no matter what (in the hands of a player, anyway). He always seems to succeed in being able to knock me on my feet helplessly while he relentlessly keeps up the pressure without pause with painful tech traps, and if he ever DOES lose advantage, it's not hard for him to get it back. Not to mention he's got more than one tricky-looking low, all his attacks seem to deal massive damage, and he's never outranged.

Just how are you supposed to bust this ghost?

Pirate Killing: Anti-Certantes

Stop playing online.

Cervantes doesnt have any real threats that come in the form of knockdowns. All his "big" lows are blockable on reaction offline.

A+B is a n00bs saving grace, but as long as you know they are just mashing, wait for the WR A+B shortly afterwards and then dig into them.

Everything else is pretty laughable like the dread charge attacks, 4B+K. . etc etc. Cervantes is an excellent character, but what youre dealing with sound more like scrub tactics as opposed to real pressure.

Also, Cervantes is very much out of range. Let one geet TOO aggressive, you can step around a lot of his tricks and many more leave him at serious disadvantage such as BBB and 1AB. Get familiar with his moves in practice mode.

I'm not talking about online, I play two people who have irritating Cervies. One of them uses a basic mixup that I just can't seem to get out of, and the other likes to showboat with stuff like CH 3B bullet juggles and throwing out Dark Geo de Ray for no reason, and I still lose horribly.

I don't know if I'm just having a bad day or if I'm really this terrible, but losing this many times to a Cervy that I SHOULD be able to read is getting on my nerves.

uhh... ...what? THROWING OUT DARK gdr? that move is HORRIBLE except against bad players...in HORRIBLE lag...or as a way of anticipated counter of an attack (and even then most of the time it should and will be blocked or sidestepped in time). Seriously if he is really just throwing out dark gdr just step a little to the side..then run towards where his spin stops and get a free grapple on him. But its probably just you getting into your own head. Sometimes losing to someone you feel you should have beaten can really f with your psyche if your not disciplined. My GUESS is that they are using A+B like ART said to start the "basic combo" which is very much shakeable. If they are a good player they will mix in icommand throw right after the move for about 90 damage..but from what I'm understanding these guys really are not that great and are probably just going 2A+B right after every time (since ur prob not shaking it). So once u start to shake that first hit..it will mess up their "basic" game. And bullet juggles isn't really showboating... CH 3B:B 11B for 70+ damage is showboating...lol. And the CH bullet stuff really isn't that much damage. I mean.. heck.. to they ever even do iGDR or iTLP? Those are semi-staples in a good (although somewhat flashy) cervy's game. Also...who do u use against them the most? Tira does okay against him..but set is kinda a hard character if you are not hitting your justs consistenly. Either way.. I assume A+B is your problem..so just learn to shake it and they will lose thier edge on you (hopefully).

Well for starters, Cervy has no safe lows. Every low he has is punishable, so learn what you can use to punish them and try not to miss that free damage.

Secondly, he doesn't give you too much reason to duck, especially if you have a character with a fast 2a. You can most likely trade or beat his 1k, 6k frame trap.

Third, only the stun on a+b is shakeable, those other long combos from CH 2a+b and WS A are all guaranteed for the most part. However WS A is heavily punishable, and 2a+b is only Sophie punishable, but that's more than enough to give everyone else a solid mixup from crouching position (just because it forces crouch, doesn't mean he has the advantage.) A majority of his safe moves are heavily disadvantaged on block, if not outright punishable. Also a lot of his normal hits don't give him great advantage to work with, so against faster characters he becomes a character that looks for single hits for big damage, and whiff punishing with iGDR. It doesn't sound like you're even dealing with much of the latter.

A lot of less experienced Cervys leave themselves open to people sidestepping around them as well, even though Cervy in general is pretty decent against sidesteps and 8wr.

Here are some of the best punishments I find against his mirror opponent.

-1A can be punished by iGDR
-66B can be punished by 6A depending on range
-11K can be punished by 6K
-1K by WS K
-WS B B is iGDR punishable
-1B is aB oddly enough AA can't punish it
-8B+K while in front can be punished by WS K
-WS A can be punished by aB and aK which gives you good mix-ups
*more to come*

Secondly, he doesn't give you too much reason to duck, especially if you have a character with a fast 2a. You can most likely trade or beat his 1k, 6k frame trap.
2a is agood answer to 1k but shouldn't be your only answer.

Once someone get used to stop 1k and command throw mixup with 2a, Cervy can always use 8[B+K] to Tech jump over their head to their backs.
After 8[A+K] hits them Cervy has a free back throw too for heavy damage.
If they blocked low, back throw is not guaranteed but, if 2a is their answer to your 1k they get heavily punished.

Watch this video at 0:11 (I miss the back throw cause we play with lag).

What I am trying to say is that after 1k on hit, it's Cervy's mixup either way.

1K is the only reason Cervantes gives you to duck, but its a good reason.

2a is agood answer to 1k but shouldn't be your only answer.

Once someone get used to stop 1k and command throw mixup with 2a, Cervy can always use 8[A+K] to Tech jump over their head to their backs.
After 8[A+K] hits them Cervy has a free back throw too for heavy damage.
If they blocked low, back throw is not guaranteed but, if 2a is their answer to your 1k they get heavily punished.

Watch this video at 0:11 (I miss the back throw cause we play with lag).

What I am trying to say is that after 1k on hit, it's Cervy's mixup either way.

1K is the only reason Cervantes gives you to duck, but its a good reason.

U mean :8::B:+:K:

also if u use that to jump over and get the back stab its only +15 ( ask docvizzo about this) u can't grab after it. Sorry correction grab is not guaranteed after it cause Cervantes grab are i16, if they where they u should be able to get guaranteed after WS A

If u did BT B+K then you can get a guaranteed grab if your close enough, but if u do :7:_:8:_:9::B:+:K:, or :8::A:+:B:::B:+:K: or :3::K:::B:+:K: ( or any of the other variation, you opponent can duck it)

U mean 8B+K
Yeah sorry thanks for the correction.

lso if u use that to jump over and get the back stab its only +15 ( ask docvizzo about this) u can't grab after it. Sorry correction grab is not guaranteed after it cause Cervantes grab are i16, if they where they u should be able to get guaranteed after WS A
Not 100% sure what you mean but I was possitive that I had a guaranteed throw after 8B+K if you tech jump 2A.
I know that they can duck it if they just hold low guard (not try to hit you with 2A and get hit by CH 8B+K).
I'll test it again today to be 100% sure, thanks for the correction again...

Someone, please fill me in on what Cervantes strength is.

He's very unsafe and has no real good lows. He has good damage, but what do you do against someone that's good at punishing like Sophitia or Amy?

Tested it, yeah Zasalamel79 you're right, but its again Cervy's mixup, when he get's behind you and you try to duck a possible backthrow, he can easily do a mid follow up 15 frames or less witch is also a good damage on the long run.
Throw wins agains anything else I believe.

Edit: If they try to stop you with 2a after 1k, 8[B+K] (jump Behind them) and then aB is combo for good damage (better choice than backthrow).

Anyway thanks for the corrections once more.

You can also iTP over the 2a if they try that after eating 1k. So yeah it's still not a bad low. I'll try the 8B+K, sometimes the iTP:b+k is blocked in time, either people are doing their 2a slow or just different recovery times for different 2a's.

I no it may seem noobish but i don't really ever have much problems with cery until they start pulling out the 4B+K on me. I can use bubbles but sumtimes they hit and sumtimes they don't. Using Algol I have incredibly bad sidestep and i also often just end up crouching. I can do summing like 3b,b or 6b,b,b which moves me away but since they usually don't hit them it doesn't help much.

Someone, please fill me in on what Cervantes strength is.

He's very unsafe and has no real good lows. He has good damage, but what do you do against someone that's good at punishing like Sophitia or Amy?

His throw game is strong, and 1k is not a terrible low. You can also get mileage from moves like 3a,b if the opponent is unfamiliar with them. He can work a pretty solid mid range game, has one of the safer backstep 44b's in the game, can contain step well, and yeah he can do damage.

Theoretically he has one of the best punishers in the game in iGDR. Whiff punisher, absolutely. I've yet to see anyone punish blocked moves with it consistently, all I've heard is a bunch of people saying "so and so does it" but I haven't seen it yet.

Punishing with iGDR is a challenge. Especially since you cant really punish i15 Moves, and for i16 Moves youre timing gotta be strict, you have to know the end of the blockstuns etc etc. And from FC you have WS A which is i17. So iGDR is big risk and just covers a small amount of Frames. I dont think iGDR as a punisher will be a big part in High Level PLay, since they will punish you hard for failing.

Wouldnt be such a big Problem if you wouldnt get 100 Damage for a blocked iGDR. Right now im fine with punishing Moves with aB, WS A from FC and 3B dependend on Frame Data.

But constant iGDR punishing of course would step up your Game pretty hard.

Back