Poll : Your opinion about RE mechanic

You would say that the current RE mechanic (Beta version) is...

• a fine addition and should remain unchanged ;

• interesting but requires adjustments (cost, limitation,...) ;

• a bad or useless addition ;

• NA

Results are only viewable after voting.

ThalionPIR

[05] Battler
Opinions seem very divided about the new RE mechanic. The beta has allowed many to test it, and others to get a more accurate opinion through the videos and streams.
I am curious to know the prevailing opinion in the 8wayrun community.

Hey, new here. Mainly because I was so annoyed at this mechanic and wanted to see what people were saying to avoid spammers. As of right now, I'm in the "bad/useless" camp, but I realize it's super early to really have a final opinion. I've learned ways to avoid this sometimes, but it's still extremely annoying. That said, it won't deter me from getting the full game and really figuring everything out (although I had my moments, lol).

The main issue I have is it seems Groh has a very strong spamming game with RE. I went up against a groh in f4, who literally spammed BBB, RE, Repeat. the last hit staggered, so i wouldn't really have enough chance to step out, and it felt too risky to dodge during the lag between the second and third hit. The groh somehow how predicted every singel input i put in, be it retreating, K,A,B or sidestep. It was painful.
It needs to have a cooldown in-between uses, like 5 seconds? It was painful to find a nice sidestep punish was just being blocked by the RE. It feels to safe IMO. I was in the camp it was fine, but it was really frustrating to play against.

RE is fine. It's a high risk / high reward mechanic. People just need to learn how to play around it.
Except it's not. And if it was or actually required resources, then these types of topics wouldn't even exist. Interesting idea, horrible execution.

This is copied from when i was talking about RE after playing SC6 for two days at a con in Sweden in July.

I don't like it. I had two whole days to play it and every game, when someone used RE it felt like a partypooper ruining the flow of battle. I get the risk reward thing with RE but i saw it more as a "get me out of this mess" button. I think i used RE less than five times these two days and i mostly backed off instead of taking a random chance to take even more damage when i was hit with it. I talked to my friends and they all agreed that they simply weren't fond of RE. Some think it slowed everything down. Others didn't like this rock, paper, scissor thing that's going on.

Don't really know how they should fix or if they even need to fix it at all. But i think i wouldn't protest if they implemented some sort of cooldown or meter usage for RE.

RE is fine. It's a high risk / high reward mechanic. People just need to learn how to play around it.

RE gives tons of meter to the person using it, almost no meter to the person who gets RE'd, it's consistently cinematic, it has no limitation, and requires you to literally stop what you're doing to specifically address RE's.

All leading into glorified rock paper scissors.

It would be much, much better if it had a limited number of usages, and didn't give so much meter. It gives so much better meter than other options that it's insane.

If soul calibur 6 meter system was up to me:

Reversal edge would simply cost you 50% (deflect 1 hit) or a full bar of meter (deflect multiple hits). It WOULD NEVER give you meter AT ALL.

Guard break attacks cost 25% meter. You want to have frame advantage or disrupt a Reversal Edge, well its gonna cost you.

You will ONLY GAIN meter by attacking and SUCCESSFULLY GI'ing.

And YOU WILL LOSE METER by playing overly defensively over a period of time (just like in guilty gear).

This imo, is how SC6 meter system should work. 😎👌💯

Last edited:
My opinion on RE as someone who isn't good at all and is looking more forward to CaS than the actual game play aspect is this:
Re seems super cool, some of the best moments I had in the beta were because of RE deciding a match, i personally like the RPS aspect in games as it's more about seeing your opponents habits and trying to not be predictable yourself. This is also why I think it shouldn't cost meter or have a cd as the more it's used the deeper the mind game goes.
If anything is changed I just hope they get rid of the high risk to using it, wouldn't mind eating a bit of dmg for it but losing like 35% hp when someone counters it with lethal hit or steps it into a launcher is rough.

What my problem with current RE is are the Soul Gauge cost if you miss the RE and the amount of meter you get from a succesful RE.
You get the Soul Gauge back if you parry with RE, that means there is a way to neutralize the "cost" (which isn't a real cost).
And you get around a half bar for a successful RE ? That's just ridicuouls the CS and SC use is stupidly high.

I think, RE should cost Soul Gauge for activating and not replenish it at all - just an example, with a non touched soul gauge, using RE 10 times will bring it down to red glow.
The new JG could replenish abit Soul Gauge (if it isn't already)
And about the Meter, 1/4 of a bar would be enough.

Only thing i think needs changing is balancing the meter gain between RE and everything else. If you don't use RE and you're not yoshimitsu, it's unlikely you'll even gain a bar at the end of the round - which i'm actually fine with. But RE gives so much meter in comparison from standard play that it becomes worth it just purely for building meter alone

I would love RE as a mechanic unlocking only under 15% Health or under 15s timer. It would fit better the climax of the minigame. It would give back space for GI. Gaining a lot of meter would make sense in order to finish the round with a CE.

It’s not the best mechanic in the series but far from the worst. I prefer this over Critical Finish and Just Guard from SCIV and SCV.

Back