PS4 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Free to Play doesn't require PS+. Don't know about other companies, but it's been said that S.O.E. are not using PS+ for their free to play games. that means

DC universe Online, Planetside 2, and their third game don't require PS+ to play.

And its still a bad idea. You dont just get an idea to charge money for your service. They just saw that MS got away with it, so now they do the same crap too.

Thats also the reason why no one should buy an X1, because it would encourage all companies to do the same DRM shit.
well actually i have a theory behind this.

because the consoles have such powerful hardware in them, and because they are being sold at such a loss, i think sony got this idea to use online fees so that they can have lower launch prices for consoles, and still make up their losses. those fees will stack up over time, and eventually the manufacturing of the console will pay for itself. at least thats the reason why I personally think they went down this route.

while i personally dont like it, i'd rather pay for my online, than have to deal with DRM.

besides once the console is all payed for it will go towards improving the service

well actually i have a theory behind this.

Stopped reading right there.

Fact: Premium servers cost money to maintain. If PSN wants to provide the best gaming experience, they can't maintain multi-million dollar data centers without having to charge money anymore. The demand goes up with games expanding requiring more memory processing power.

So there is your answer right there Slayer, in black and white, no speculation or "theory" required.

Stopped reading right there.

At least read before going all condescending on people.

Anyway, if there is a price to play them fine at least Xbox fanboys will shut up of how much PSN sucks, anyway them again fanboys will fanboy about anything...even if is some pathetic "you buy only we win" way of doing business, such low way of getting money.

At least read before going all condescending on people.

Anyway, if there is a price to play them fine at least Xbox fanboys will shut up of how much PSN sucks, anyway them again fanboys will fanboy about anything...even if is some pathetic "you buy only we win" way of doing business, such low way of getting money.

Uhh... Xbox players never talked trash about PSN, it's the haughty PSN players that kept bringing up "You MS players actually PAY to play online?! Hahaha!" Now that PSN players have to pay, they lost their ability to keep criticizing Xbox in that regard.

It'll be the same when Sony fully switches over to the download only game market. They're already half way there now, already allowing publishers the option to restrict renters and used game buyers from playing certain games.

Uhh... Xbox players never talked trash about PSN, it's the haughty PSN players that kept bringing up "You MS players actually PAY to play online?! Hahaha!" Now that PSN players have to pay, they lost their ability to keep criticizing Xbox in that regard.

Let's not forget how PSN got hacked and nobody could play PSN online for over 6 weeks. Not to mention the countless amounts of people's names and billing addresses that were compromised, now that's an epic fail.
I didn't want to bring this up in earlier posts but its a big reason I'm so skeptical about the ps4. Xbox 1 has layed out all their plans for Live but I haven't seen anything from Sony. They need to address this as its their weakest link. Plus I ask about this earlier but everyone just looks past it cause their pissed about DRM.

It'll be the same when Sony fully switches over to the download only game market. They're already half way there now, already allowing publishers the option to restrict renters and used game buyers from playing certain games.

Hmm nope I am pretty much is the other way around at least with my friends.

Yah Sony is a really dumb company that will use the same stupid choice that Microsoft done and gave Sony the edge on the new consoles...I can't understand your point of enjoying this kind of game control is abusive and utterly unnecessary and a loathsome.

I didn't want to bring this up in earlier posts but its a big reason I'm so skeptical about the ps4. Xbox 1 has layed out all their plans for Live but I haven't seen anything from Sony. They need to address this as its their weakest link. Plus I ask about this earlier but everyone just looks past it cause their pissed about DRM.

Yes yes exactly!!!

It seems like Sony is very hesitant to release very much info about the future of PS4's used game market. In essence, download only games like on the XBL marketplace, PSN is replicating that, and they even replicated Microsoft's policies regarding used game buyers. Instead of themselves coming out and saying it, they'll just give publishers an "option" to do exactly what Microsoft's policies are.

In essence, Sony is no better or worse than Microsoft, just people are complaining about XB1 because they had the balls to come out and actually say what they'll be restricting. PS4 is just going to blame it on 'greedy' publishers.

Yah Sony is a really dumb company that will use the same stupid choice that Microsoft done and gave Sony the edge on the new consoles...I can't understand your point of enjoying this kind of game control is abusive and utterly unnecessary and a loathsome.

Nobody is calling Sony dumb or incompetent. Sony's only "edge" that you speak of is a fictitious edge, you think they gained an advantage by catering to gamers who don't want to buy games new? I think publishers have already taken Sony's "edge" away by making their multi-million dollar budget games (like Sunset Overdrive, Titan Fall, Ryse, etc..) and made them Xbox Exclusives. Because they know Xbox will generate more revenue for them, because they don't have to worry about 400,000 used game buyers who won't pay them a cent.'

Honestly I think the only thing Sony has over Xbox is it's $100 cheaper, that's really the only big significance. No household with internet access is going to give a crap about DRM. DRM has been in my PC games for over a decade.

You really don't have a single bloody idea how market works, now do you?
I am going a little further and say that you don't have idea how economy wise goes in video game industries, any game will coast money but not guarantees of return, is not the best interest to them simply block used games because one time players won't buy something and hate it, games are basically gamble if you don't play your cards right it is for no use.
Just use your head now, if you were a seller would you like it more a client that bought a new thing but bad mouth and make other clients less willing to buy your product or a client that didn't directly gave you money but give you free market, hmm?
You really does sound like a overly sensitive person about this matter is someone is your family connect with business of this kind?

You really don't have a single bloody idea how market works, now do you?
I am going a little further and say that you don't have idea how economy wise goes in video game industries, any game will coast money but not guarantees of return, is not the best interest to them simply block used games because one time players won't buy something and hate it, games are basically gamble if you don't play your cards right it is for no use.
Just use your head now, if you were a seller would you like it more a client that bought a new thing but bad mouth and make other clients less willing to buy your product or a client that didn't directly gave you money but give you free market, hmm?
You really does sound like a overly sensitive person about this matter is someone is your family connect with business of this kind?
WTF Lol.

Onto real discussion:

-Since it has been stated over and again that the PS4 will require PS+ for online multiplayer*. What happens to the PS3 and the Vita? Do these devices require the use of PS+ to play online multiplayer.

-Also, if anyone here actually went to E3, if so, how different does the PS3 controller feel from the PS4 controller? The PS4 controller looks like slightly elongated (from footage in videos), reminiscent of the infamous "boomerang controller prototype" of the early PS3.

Idk, maybe it may be just me.

Here's the pics:

pre-PS3:
ps3boomerang.jpg

ps4:

controller004.jpg

current PS3:

scph-98067_small_1.jpg

EDIT: I apparently got a fake image of the controller lol.

Onto real discussion:

-Since it has been stated over and again that the PS4 will require PS+ for online multiplayer*. What happens to the PS3 and the Vita? Do these devices require the use of PS+ to play online multiplayer.
They will remain as is. The pay online is only for PS4.

Though if you have a Vita and a PS3, PS+ is an excellent deal just for the instant game collection alone. It paid for itself within a month given the games I got for freeish that I otherwise would've purchased.

Also, if anyone here actually went to E3, if so, how different does the PS3 controller feel from the PS4 controller? The PS4 controller looks like slightly elongated (from footage in videos), reminiscent of the infamous "boomerang controller prototype" of the early PS3.
I'm not at e3, but the grips are longer. The L2 and R2 buttons are now more trigger shaped too.

economy wise goes in video game industries, any game will coast money but not guarantees of return, is not the best interest to them simply block used games because one time players won't buy something and hate it, games are basically gamble if you don't play your cards right it is for no use.

1: Used game buyers don't give developers any revenue, hence they bought it used, not NEW. Assuming they buy DLC or season passes, which most people just complain about anyways.

2: One time buyers buy the game day 1, beat it, then resell it a week later. So now there isn't much point to buy the game new for $60 when you can buy a used one for only $50. The developer just got screwed.

3: Games are not completely gambles. A game's success is almost always dependent on how competent their marketing department is. TV commercials, Youtube ads, gamefaqs ads, etc.

4: Developers don't have a Hell Gate from which they can pull infinite supplies of money! They need profits.

Games are definitely gambles if they don't have an established fan base. CoD is going to sell because its CoD. You can market the game all you want to but at the end of the day the game has to be good, and if a game sucks why do i have to pay full price for it?

Games are definitely gambles if they don't have an established fan base. CoD is going to sell because its CoD. You can market the game all you want to but at the end of the day the game has to be good, and if a game sucks why do i have to pay full price for it?

Yea your exactly right about new IPs being a big gamble. Either the new fans will love it, or hate it. But usually it's how hyped you can get them, like "BOOM! This new game! Footage of monsters in cutscenes! Multiplayer! Epic story line! Coming March 2014! Pre-order and get the Mind Exploder Rail Gun!"

Then it will be successful, but if you make something new like Fuse / Overstrike, and don't advertise it, it sells like crap, like it did. As sad as that is, I see good 3rd party games and JP games get bashed on all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back