Raphael General Discussion / Q&A

You can get much more off SE B than just 1B!!! If you have enough meter, do 3B Prep BB BE after SE B for good damage. If not, just do 3B Prep BBB and quickly do a 66A+B after the crumple stun on Prep BBB. After a 3A wall splat, the most damaging combo is A+BA followed by a 66A+B.

Yeah. That's what I started doing after some experimentation. Trying to make it out reflex more often. A habit I need to break is using SE K when they are in the middle of an attack in TC'ed because I'm throwing away damage potential when I do that. I just need to be more conscientious with its use. I still need my initiative down after a wall splat because I freeze-up sometimes after splat.

After 1K stun, do A+BA for more damage.

Thanks! I'll keep it in mind.

Very good. You are right. However, don't forget that Raph's horizontals have their purposes. 22A gives you a juicy +10 on counter and 2A with +8 on hit is one of the best moves in the game. Use them!!

22A does allow me preparation. It's just hard for me to figure out when to use it. It gets punished too quickly for me to find a use for it that's viable. Same with 66A+B cancel(notation for cancels?). I do use 2A when the time is right, but I don't really know what I can follow it up with aside from 6BB~AB~BB~SE K.

EDIT: I have another question. Can anyone tell what I can do after the 22B stun? Aside from Critical Edge. I don't really like CE with Raphael personally because his BE's are just so useful for me.

The reason I use ~AB is mainly for mind games and to test my opponent. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to build meter quickly...

they punish your 22 A ._. consistently? its almost safe, if well ranged they shouldn t be able.

66A+B cancel is not even a move....it's always been th worst soulcalibur move and you shouldn t even consider using it unless against nightmare's CE (i did a couple of times for the lulz).

After 22B you can:
3K (if opponent is near)
2A
2B

or depending on how opponent falls AND on his hitbox size:
A+B,A
66A+B

They could become tech traps instead of combos

they punish your 22 A ._. consistently? its almost safe, if well ranged they shouldn t be able.

66A+B cancel is not even a move....it's always been th worst soulcalibur move and you shouldn t even consider using it unless against nightmare's CE (i did a couple of times for the lulz).

After 22B you can:
3K (if opponent is near)
2A
2B

or depending on how opponent falls AND on his hitbox size:
A+B,A
66A+B

They could become tech traps instead of combos

Ah. Alright.

Well what I was getting at is that the 22A's start-up is slow for me. I don't know how to fit it in.

best 22a use is abusing his ghost range...t hits very far even where visually the rapier goes too short.

It discourage opponent from stepping at mid range, short range you have 3A and 2A, but also 44AB

I find the worse range is between 2A and 22A, when the opponent is in close-ish but Raph's decent up close moves can't connect.

I find the worse range is between 2A and 22A, when the opponent is in close-ish but Raph's decent up close moves can't connect.
Yea i find that range to be the most annoying. ive been trying to find a way to take control at that range

Hey guys, I've got a couple of questions.

I've been trying to put AA and AB into my game. I'm wondering what advantages one has over the other, and when I should use each. The only two things I can think of that AA has over AB is the extra frames on block and hit, and better tracking. Otherwise, I'm thinking it's safer to use AB, since you can't duck it without it getting blocked and negative frames are better than a whiff.

Also, what do you guys do when you have a small frame disadvantage? I love using 11K, but when I get it on hit I don't know what to do. I tend to use either 2A or 2K right after, and I'm tired of getting burned by the -4. I'm thinking I should either train myself to use a aGI move (like B+K or 8A+B), or step.

Keep in mind that both moves are NC now so once you land the first swing, you're good. Both AA and AB track well to your left. What's annoying is that the first swing doesn't have a very fat angle to catch right steppers. AA gives advantage but AB plays mind games since it has sneaky low that people don't react easily to once in a while. AB is not as good as it was in the last game since it lost B tracking and its +2 on hit and is now 2 frames more unsafe. Just use them when it feels right but sparingly. (Btw for future Raph, Im thinking of making AA high mid and giving back his A2A from SC2 but I shouldn't be discussing this in this thread lol).

Huh??? 11K is not -4 on hit. It's a nice 0 on hit. 2A and 2K are great after an 11K. (In case I misunderstood you: 2K is -2 on hit). aGI move or step are good options as well. For me, any safe, relatively fast move is okay after 11K.

Hmm... I could have sworn that 11K was -4 on hit. Never mind that then. I'll try to use 2A after 11K more, since I keep getting hit while trying 2K.

So, I shouldn't be using AA much at all, and AB even less?

Okay. I've been usually using them only if I notice my opponent step my moves a bunch. I'll try to use them more sparingly. I'll stick to AA mostly too.

Okay. I've been usually using them only if I notice my opponent step my moves a bunch. I'll try to use them more sparingly. I'll stick to AA mostly too.

Trying to find a good way to consistently kill step is difficult for me. I tend to try to out step them at range and get into my prep or poke games. Though I would mention I am no Raph expert by far. I am improving though!

Yeah, it's not an easy task with Raph. He's not that great at step killing at a distance, but you've got 22A, 66A, and possibly 44AB. It's a lot easier to step kill at a closer range, since we also have 4K, AA, AB, 3A, 2A, etc. You really don't need to step kill much at a far distance, as at that point it's best to poke and provoke your enemy (at least, I think).

PS: I could try to come with some ideas for more step killing options in the future from a far distance. I'll think about it.
I still think his CE should have been a step killing laser cannon. I think it goes with the overall theme of the character. That theme being "SCREW STEP LASER BEAMS!"

You guys ever try using 2B+K or 8B+K? I'm thinking about trying to use it once or twice a game to see how it fares against other step killers. It's the most potential damage he has from catching step.

Playing a leixia who did two sets of 66AA (safe) into a wrB on block. I figured I would be smart and 2B+K her in response after the 3rd attempt, but sadly she just held guard and I whiffed.

i actually dont mind the xiba MU. A+BA takes care of most options from 3b and he dosnt really have a move that gives prep a hard time either.

How do you guys feel about Raph vs Xiba MU??? Another Kilik lol??? I just find Xiba's personality and high damage annoying, but gameplay wise, I just feel he's fighting like a monkey haha.

Post patch its less of a problem (or at least not more than many other matchups)....and the lack of asura makes him way different from kilik.

@fendante prep4 is too slow...the animation make it seems raph could attack fast but actually he is stuck for long into advancing animation before being able to do anything...
That is the reason most people don t punish every single prep4 attempt...but if you look its very difficult to get damage after a whiff baited with prep4

I've found not having any realignment on the BBB series is really annoying. I guess this is the trend of strings in this game, but it's pretty ugly to watch this thing whiff. Not very easy to CH-confirm either. BB damage by itself is pretty bad-- whole series' damage isn't that great, and with no tracking it doesn't seem useful as a zoning tool and doesn't combo off of anything.

Any use for this string? I just avoid it for the most part...

hmm, from what I see its for counter hitting (does more damgae than 3B, except if u know 3(B)~prepAB is in range) at the i16 range.

Otherwise, yes BB and BBB have very narrow scopes.

no really i have to be stupid to not notice that because its obvious and probably you already know but

2K into CE is sick @_@ the backstep of the CE avoid anything,the i10 invulnerability does the rest.

Back