Retreating during G

Mandritti

[09] Warrior
Hold G (notation -> G] )

input a jump. Interrupt the jump with a quarter circle.

G]874

Churn the back-upper quarter circle for a rapid retreat.
If you want more distance, do
G]74

But it's tougher to churn rapidly on my pad. If someone can test with stick / programmed controls for demonstration, forum would be grateful.

I second the vids thing. I've been trying this and have gotten no success. I get a back jump or a just a twitch (using Pyrrah O)

I cannot produce a vid. However I've given very clear directions and confirmed them through displayed inputs in training mode.
I am doing it on Xbox 360. Gods help us if it's console specific (not really, it's the one that doesn't matter :\ ).

EDIT: Do it with Raph. I just did it with one character and didn't even think it would be char specific. It could be since their jumps are different.
And btw, a twitch is what you're looking for. A twitch that moves backwards.

Here's the thing.

First, as you said, this is character specific most likely. With Pat, he moves back and to the left, but not far enough that I would consider this a legitimate defensive technique.

Second, due to the patch to fuzzy jump earlier in the game's lifespan, repeated up inputs of any kind while holding G will lock you out of the twitch animation and you'll sit there doing nothing. Were this to even be possible or viable, the lockout would make the speed of retreating while guarding completely useless. Forward motion in step, running, and forward movement in certain attacks are much faster than regular backdash, much less this.

That's very likely true. I never said it was a viable technique.
I did find it is very character specific. Nothing happens for:
Alpha Pat, Aeon, Astaroth, or Elysium. I checked other chars but don't remember whom.

Ezio can move as can Raphael.
Also Viola moves around the opponent clockwise.

Mandritti of 8wayrun discoverd you can move backward in guard by cancelling a jump with back. Specifically, if you hold up for less than six frames then you will not jump. The other inputs appear superfluous. Note, it seems that if you do too many reps too quickly, then it will revert to just guarding. The magic number appears to be 17F between holding up, at this rate the game won't go to guarding only.

Doesn't look particularly useful other than for inching backwards while guarding, but as shown, and you are considered guarding the whole time.

Back