RIP DLC

xD

It's a very big stereotype that fighting games have either horrible stories or no stories whatsoever, and it's shocking to discover how many people actually say "It's a fighting game, nobody cares about the story."
Don't all games have some type of story for the player to follow? If they're weren't a story, then it would be meaningless for anyone to play and not know if they were playing as the hero or the villain.

You'd think, right? Some people insistently claim that the story is irrelevant, though.

In a fighting game it's less relevant than in any other kind of game.

I mean, the dedicated fighting game fans will probably be able to tell you what the story is, but their focus is on perfecting their skill with the game. Nobody plays a fighting game to see the story. The story is really just there to set the stage.

In other games it's different. The story comes to a close at the end of the central conflict and you play through the levels as the story unfolds. And since most big name video games are all about physical conflict then the end of the story comes after the last boss. Action games, RPG's, etc. They're all like that.

But the conflict doesn't really get to end in a fighting game, per se. How many fighting games have multiple endings? Up until MK9 every character had an ending. There will probably be individual character endings in TTT2. So on and so forth. The ending, or for the sake of thoroughness, the individual stories of the characters, are there as kind of a treat for the fans. They're not really why you're playing. You can't create a single story if you're giving different endings out to each character. And if you try you're wasting work on all these cutscenes and then you have to come back later and say well these cutscenes are the ones that really happened. Why bother with that?

In an RPG you're playing to see the story. That's a given. But are you playing to see a story in Global Colloseo? No. At a tournament? Hell no.

In a fighting game the development effort doesn't go to story writing. It goes into the game. That's why most people here talk about the game, not the story. It's not that the pro players don't enjoy well-written stories. Who doesn't enjoy a good story? It's the fact that the story is an afterthought. It's usually really bad. And it's not why anyone's here.

In a fighting game it's less relevant than in any other kind of game.

I mean, the dedicated fighting game fans will probably be able to tell you what the story is, but their focus is on perfecting their skill with the game. Nobody plays a fighting game to see the story. The story is really just there to set the stage.

In other games it's different. The story comes to a close at the end of the central conflict and you play through the levels as the story unfolds. And since most big name video games are all about physical conflict then the end of the story comes after the last boss. Action games, RPG's, etc. They're all like that.

But the conflict doesn't really get to end in a fighting game, per se. How many fighting games have multiple endings? Up until MK9 every character had an ending. There will probably be individual character endings in TTT2. So on and so forth. The ending, or for the sake of thoroughness, the individual stories of the characters, are there as kind of a treat for the fans. They're not really why you're playing. You can't create a single story if you're giving different endings out to each character. And if you try you're wasting work on all these cutscenes and then you have to come back later and say well these cutscenes are the ones that really happened. Why bother with that?

In an RPG you're playing to see the story. That's a given. But are you playing to see a story in Global Colloseo? No. At a tournament? Hell no.

In a fighting game the development effort doesn't go to story writing. It goes into the game. That's why most people here talk about the game, not the story. It's not that the pro players don't enjoy well-written stories. Who doesn't enjoy a good story? It's the fact that the story is an afterthought. It's usually really bad. And it's not why anyone's here.

I disagree somewhat. I can't say that I'm completely innocent of playing a fighting game purely for the story since gameplay is a very important feature, but the story is just as or an even more important factor for me to enjoy and return to a game's franchise. With many videogames, especially ones such as Street Fighter, Tekken, King Of Fighters, etc., the basis of a fighting game being the main reason to play is very strong; but that's practically because there literally was no information about or for the characters to begin with when they were first created.

In the original Soul Blade game, every single character had their own story created and displayed in a mode that was made specifically to explore and create connections to them. The story gave speculation; it gave people motivation to think more about it. It gave people a reason to return and think about the events that unfolded. At the time, that was what made Soul Blade different to all of the other games and separated it from being practically an exact copy of Tekken.

People play RPG games for the story and the gameplay is what helps to make the story fun; I don't see why the same can't be said of fighting games. Not many people say they enjoy playing a popular game like Final Fantasy just for the sake of level grinding; and fair enough, some people just like to unlock and achieve everything in a game. But just because it's a fighting game, that doesn't automatically mean that the story behind it becomes less relevant than the gameplay.

Everyone has their own tastes. Some people play the game for the story, some people play the game for the gamelay alone. Realistically, neither is any less or any more relevant than the other.

I disagree somewhat. I can't say that I'm completely innocent of playing a fighting game purely for the story since gameplay is a very important feature, but the story is just as or an even more important factor for me to enjoy and return to a game's franchise. With many videogames, especially ones such as Street Fighter, Tekken, King Of Fighters, etc., the basis of a fighting game being the main reason to play is very strong; but that's practically because there literally was no information about or for the characters to begin with when they were first created.

In the original Soul Blade game, every single character had their own story created and displayed in a mode that was made specifically to explore and create connections to them. The story gave speculation; it gave people motivation to think more about it. It gave people a reason to return and think about the events that unfolded. At the time, that was what made Soul Blade different to all of the other games and separated it from being practically an exact copy of Tekken.

People play RPG games for the story and the gameplay is what helps to make the story fun; I don't see why the same can't be said of fighting games. Not many people say they enjoy playing a popular game like Final Fantasy just for the sake of level grinding; and fair enough, some people just like to unlock and achieve everything in a game. But just because it's a fighting game, that doesn't automatically mean that the story behind it becomes less relevant than the gameplay.

Everyone has their own tastes. Some people play the game for the story, some people play the game for the gamelay alone. Realistically, neither is any less or any more relevant than the other.
I think the perfect example of a true fighting game with a great story is Blazblue Continuum Shift. The story is the main mode (Versus mode actually feels really weak), there's joke endings, joke tutorials, true endings, epic scenes, and everything that makes the story easily the most memorable mode.

In the original Soul Blade game, every single character had their own story created and displayed in a mode that was made specifically to explore and create connections to them. At the time, that was what made Soul Blade different to all of the other games and separated it from being practically an exact copy of Tekken.

If you ask me, what keeps people interested in fighting games isn't the story writing, it's the character design. The look of the character, the attitude, the moves. The total package. That's how you get people interested.

You see, in order for a story to be interesting, the principal characters have to undergo a meaningful change by the time the story is over. But to keep a FG franchise going, too much change is the enemy. Characters in FG's stick around because they acquire their own fandom. The unpopular ones stop showing up. These are development concerns, not story concerns. People don't neccesarily care what the characters have been up to in their spare time. They just want to play them. They don't want to lose that investment of time they gave learning all those moves.

People play RPG games for the story and the gameplay is what helps to make the story fun; I don't see why the same can't be said of fighting games. Not many people say they enjoy playing a popular game like Final Fantasy just for the sake of level grinding; and fair enough, some people just like to unlock and achieve everything in a game. But just because it's a fighting game, that doesn't automatically mean that the story behind it becomes less relevant than the gameplay. Everyone has their own tastes. Some people play the game for the story, some people play the game for the gamelay alone. Neither is any less or any more relevant than the other.

If there was a fighting game out there with a story worth remembering I'd agree with you. And I wish there were. There's no real reason it has to be like that. I could write a better story than these people. And I'd do it for dirt cheap. :P

I think the perfect example of a true fighting game with a great story is Blazblue Continuum Shift. The story is the main mode (Versus mode actually feels really weak), there's joke endings, joke tutorials, true endings, epic scenes, and everything that makes the story easily the most memorable mode.

I grudgingly agree. They did a good job. Too bad it's all wacked out anime shit. *grumble*

How come we all just can't agree that story doesn't matter in a FG and get along? Anyways, most players play because they like the character design of their character. Character designs are what appeal people, not stories.

If you ask me, what keeps people interested in fighting games isn't the story writing, it's the character design. The look of the character, the attitude, the moves. The total package. That's how you get people interested.

You see, in order for a story to be interesting, the principal characters have to undergo a meaningful change by the time the story is over. But to keep a FG franchise going, too much change is the enemy. Characters in FG's stick around because they acquire their own fandom. The unpopular ones stop showing up. These are development concerns, not story concerns. People don't neccesarily care what the characters have been up to in their spare time. They just want to play them. They don't want to lose that investment of time they gave learning all those moves.

If there was a fighting game out there with a story worth remembering I'd agree with you. And I wish there were. There's no real reason it has to be like that. I could write a better story than these people. And I'd do it for dirt cheap. :P

Well... I'm afraid that I don't really know how to respond to that. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that I feel rather drastically differently to you, especially if you don't seem to think that the Soul series has a deep and interesting storyline.

The character designs are all apart of the story though, my friend! The character's actual designs are supposed to reflect and represent their background and their personality; which should in turn attribute to the story altogether. For example, even if you don't get direct information on a character's background, you can still make judgements and leave it open to interpretation, you know?

Personally, I feel that the characters in certain fighting games do make slow and gradual (yet noticeable) changes. Sophitia, for example. She was once a young, shy woman but gradually began to mature and become an honourable warrior, who by the end of five games, ended up turning against all of her own beliefs and everything she fought against in order to protect her own flesh and blood. That was a wonderful inspiration for me. And it actually appears realistic and natural to me; she's fighting for a reason, not just because she can!

How come we all just can't agree that story doesn't matter in a FG and get along? Anyways, most players play because they like the character design of their character. Character designs are what appeal people, not stories.
Im trying to find a character who appeals to me other than Sieg for a secondary I lost Taki and Sophie... and all the others I liked the personality of damn. So yes having good characters is important if I had lost Sieg too I probably wouldn't even play much lol.

I grudgingly agree. They did a good job. Too bad it's all wacked out anime shit. *grumble*
Yeah. I mean, I did like Guilty Gear but that was more of a rare commodity since I discovered it when I was in high school and at the time, I liked anime a lot but I grew out of it. Now, I hardly go anywhere near crazy anime type games since I don't care for the style anymore. That's why I haven't gotten BlazBlue because the over the top designs kill it for me somewhat. But going with your story comment. I feel that the only fighting game I personally felt had an enjoyable story mode was Mortal Kombat 9. It wasn't the best and some of the bosses were hard as hell but the story was surprisingly fairley decent.

Bah. Crossovers. SC vs Tekken would be a horrible one. These games have little to nothing in common with each other.

I'd like to see something totally new. Something in the vein of SC, a weapons-based FG. Maybe with a Sci-Fi flavor.

Star Gladiator 2, anyone? Heh.
I can't see Soul Calibur crossing over with Tekken as well. They are both good games but eh, can't see that woking. The only games I can see crossing over with SC is Samurai Warriors, Dynasty Warriors, & Sengoku Basara.

Im trying to find a character who appeals to me other than Sieg for a secondary I lost Taki and Sophie... and all the others I liked the personality of damn. So yes having good characters is important if I had lost Sieg too I probably wouldn't even play much lol.
You can try Natsu, recolor her hair black, recolor spandex deeper red/pink, then enjoy dat ass. :P (just messin' with ya, Lol)
Also, to me Pyrrha is better than Sophitia has ever been. From a casual standpoint I love Pyrrha (not Ω, she's a whΩre). I like her timid personality and to me she just looks better than Sophitia too.

I know the feeling. If I lost Tira, it would be harder for me too lol. I mean, I do main Viola and am trying to main Zwei and I guess Natsu since I like fast characters but in SCIV, I mained Taki, Cassandra, Yun-Seong, & Sophitia. lol

You can try Natsu, recolor her hair black, recolor spandex deeper red/pink, then enjoy dat ass. :P (just messin' with ya, Lol)
Also, to me Pyrrha is better than Sophitia has ever been. From a casual standpoint I love Pyrrha (not Ω, she's a whΩre). I like her timid personality and to me she just looks better than Sophitia too.

I don't mean to sound rude, but why do you compare the two when they are entirely different characters? I like various characters for different reasons, so why should one be better than another?

You forgot to mention she kills your ears with screams in combat Sophie didn't do that.

Back