Rock Videos

Hey guys,

I got some recent vids of my Rock from Cannes World Tourney. Comments are welcome.

Me vs SantanaXXX
Me vs Jotaro

I didn't post my match against Belgium because i totally suck in that vid and u won't learn anything because i was trying a turtle strategy which didn't turn out so good. If u wanna look at it, it's @ the cannes video thread. Sad to say this was the only few that got recorded. I did fairly well against Docvicco (did i spell it right? lol) with my Rock as well and even managed to beat RTD's Hilde 1 set (no time to play more dang) to get his cowboy hat. But do take note that most of them have little knowledge about what Rock can do apart from the French players cuz i think Malek plays Rock too.

Enjoy!

By a Rock Lover, For the Rock lovers.
Shen Chan

Wow What an active thread, lol. Anyway, here's a few vids of random online matches I captured while testing my new device. More will probably be coming soon. Comments and criticisms are welcome.

Hi Jonny. I really like how you give the opponent a mix up as they're trying to get up. Guard crushes are an awesome tool and continue to use them but also mix in some grabs. And if they break grabs a lot, then use guard crushes.

Edit: Hello Jonny. I actually started using guard crushes more often after I've watched those videos. Both grabs and crushes are super important on wake up.

Good vids. I would watch out for steppers. You're using a lot of linear, and your opponents are playing you like street fighter and not stepping.

True :). I say use 6AA, 44A, regular grabs, slow-mo-lows (2A+K) and 4A+B (awesome but punishable) to catch side-steppers.

Hi Jonny. I really like how you give the opponent a mix up as they're trying to get up. Guard crushes are an awesome tool and continue to use them but also mix in some grabs. And if they break grabs a lot, then use guard crushes.

Hey thanks. Yeah Rock doesn't have much guaranteed damage; mixups and tech traps are his most reliable ways to get damage. I do grab to punish super unsafe moves or to get breathing room when I'm being rushed down, but i can usually net more damage/set up a mixup if I can bait a counterhit and do a stun combo. I usually only attempt guard crushes on wakeup when my opponents start breaking my ground throws. For example, if I land 6K and my opponent starts mashing A or B because they expect a ground throw, they will accidentally do a while rising move or stand into guard and eat a 2B+K or 11B in the process.

Good vids. I would watch out for steppers. You're using a lot of linear, and your opponents are playing you like street fighter and not stepping.

True, unfortunately some of Rock's best tools are pretty linear. Hell, even his 3A and 66A, B are steppable. Still my playstyle is tailored around fishing for counterhits so most of the time my opponent was either mid attack or stepping forward into my attacks. I'll admit that sometimes I get a little greedy with the 66B's but I have so many options when i connect with that move that it's sort of worth it.

Hey thanks. Yeah Rock doesn't have much guaranteed damage; mixups and tech traps are his most reliable ways to get damage. I do grab to punish super unsafe moves or to get breathing room when I'm being rushed down, but i can usually net more damage/set up a mixup if I can bait a counterhit and do a stun combo. I usually only attempt guard crushes on wakeup when my opponents start breaking my ground throws. For example, if I land 6K and my opponent starts mashing A or B because they expect a ground throw, they will accidentally do a while rising move or stand into guard and eat a 2B+K or 11B in the process.

Hi Jonny. I think you know a lot more about Rock than I do. But I'm going to add that we can use 6[A+B], against those who rush us down and attack a lot. We can get ground-stun on counter hit and possible guard crush on block. Oh and we can use 6AA for the opponents who get in close and decide to sidestep.​

And I agree that counter hitting can be more awesome than grabs against aggressive opponents. Like page said, if the opponent breaks a lot, it's going to be hard winning with grabs. And ducked/interrupted grabs suck.​

Great Rock, it give me inspiration for my Rock ! Great ! ^^
Thanks, glad to hear it. I'll probably upload more vids when I get some free time.

Hi Jonny. I think you know a lot more about Rock than I do. But I'm going to add that we can use 6[A+B], against those who rush us down and attack a lot. We can get ground-stun on counter hit and possible guard crush on block. Oh and we can use 6AA for the opponents who get in close and decide to sidestep.

And I agree that counter hitting can be more awesome than grabs against aggressive opponents. Like page said, if the opponent breaks a lot, it's going to be hard winning with grabs. And ducked/interrupted grabs suck.
I like CH 6[A+B] as a combo starter but it's pretty tricky to use since it can't be hit confirmed. You pretty much have to commit to holding it or not as soon as you do the move. The standard 6A+B can be punished hard by most characters, but tends to catch people who try to interrupt the second hit. The guard crush version leaves you at advantage on block but is easily interruptable if the opponent blocks the first hit. Either way it comes down to reading your opponent but I tend to steer clear of this move unless I have frame advantage. Basically, if you don't land this on counter expect to be punished.

I don't generally find much use for 6AA which is a shame because it's one of the few safe pokes Rock has. It can reliably punish Siegfried's 3B stance mixups, but as you said, the opponent really has to be right in your face. The range on this move is horrible and the second hit can be ducked. I tend to rely on 1K, 3A, 4A+B and 44A to catch steppers. (Be careful using 3A; it can be stepped to the right)

As far as interrupters go 4B 4KA and 6K are your best friends. 4B into tech trap/ground throw is responsible for the majority my damage in any given fight. 4KA starts a bit slower than 6AA but has much better range and I find it more reliable. But like 6AA the second hit of this combo can be ducked. If you happen to run across an opponent that likes to duck the second hit remember that 6A and 4K can be cancelled into low grabs and will catch many opponents off guard. 6K ducks highs in its startup frames and is hard to punish.

One last thing I'd like to point out is that when an opponent breaks a ground grab attempt, Rock still has advantage. The opponent has to rise before they can do anything so use that situation to apply pressure. 66B will beat out most characters' rising moves and sets up combos. If your opponent stays grounded or rolls you can just ground grab them again. If they rise immediately, do a 2A+K or low grab them. At the very least land a 2K. Don't just let them of scott-free, keep pressure on them.

Rock vs Mina is not fair ^_^
O RLY?
olcadan_soul_calibur_3_-_o_rly_owl.jpg

Hello, HeeeeresJonny86. I like how you mix in long range moves along with your short ranged ones.

Back