Rock Videos

This was my first game of the day, so I was still warming up.

Basically, besides all the obvious input mistakes, I fail at Rock vs Taki, and hard.

Other than not stepping properly, and not doing enough to prevent step, what are my biggest problems right now?

Two things with Taki: First, learn how to properly defend and GI against her, and study what transitions your opponent uses. Secondly, be very careful not to get hit with PO K, since the stun she gets from hitting with that is idiotic (Albeit shakeable, though she still gets great mixups). You can duck it, but her other options are mid, so that's not safe. You might be able to knee her out of some transitions, but if the player's smart they'll start sidestepping. I'm not sure how grabs will work against her in PO.

Also when coming out of a guard, don't 6K all the time, its really predictable and punishable.

That's true, and I've seen a lot of players abuse 6K for Rock and Asty (It's an especially bad idea in Asty's case). Remember, since you're one of the slowest characters in the game, you won't be getting a lot of guaranteed damage. Therefore, you need to use mixups when your opponent uses an unsafe (But hard to punish) move. If they love to use AA or 2A after those moves, GI them.

It's very true. I abuse the hell out of 6K, it's a habit from playing too many scrubs online. I just have this idea in my head that the TC will save me, though it never does.

I don't think I'll play Rock vs Taki, I'll use Mina instead; far easier to keep her away than to try and beat her up close.

Personally, I think you should stick with Rock and get more practice against Taki. If you want, I'll try to help you (Though I'm not really good with Taki), just send me a message on Live tonight.

Try playing Rock vs Talim O.o" I tried it with my friend and he beat the crap outta me.

I've played against OOF's. It's not pretty. Though I'll admit I know a lot more about Taki than I do about Talim.

I have some more Rock vids at Singapore Video thread. You guys can check it out..

Against Taki, GI is your best weapon actually. She's too fast for Rock. But because she's fast, it's easier for u to GI.

First of all, you need to get BEHIND Taki when she does her split stance. Bullrush, run forward, ANYTHING to move you forward. Next, you need to learn more followups to the B crouch throw other than A+B. You should be winning most games you land that throw. Finally, many of these players were playing a sloppy defense. You need to mix up your offense. 3A+G was always followed up with 22_88B. No B+K. No Unblockables. 6K was always the attack used on advantage, when throws should be used more often.

That being said, you held up well against the Ralph with good spacing. Good job there.

Well, what else after 2B+G besides maybe 6B+K? Haven't found anything else that really gets me anywhere.

3A+B, 22B is just free easy damage. I get so little of that as it is, I don't see the point in risking a move that can be easily teched or another ground throw. I suppose I can start screwing around with it, though.

Well, what else after 2B+G besides maybe 6B+K? Haven't found anything else that really gets me anywhere.

3A+B, 22B is just free easy damage. I get so little of that as it is, I don't see the point in risking a move that can be easily teched or another ground throw. I suppose I can start screwing around with it, though.

B+K is guaranteed after 3A+G. If they tech, it will catch their tech and reset the combo and damage scaling. If they tech anything but back, you get a free ground throw. If they tech back, you get a mix-up of tech trap or run up ground throw. I only use 22_88B as often as you did when I'm playing Astaroth due to his speed.

If the opponent doesn't tech after 3A+G, the 236B+K unblockable is guaranteed.

B+K also is not guaranteed after 1B+G except on Amy.

2B+G (MY BEAUTIFUL CF.COM 2B+G THREAD IS GONE... so sad...)- I don't want to repost all my research AGAIN. You'll have to hope it comes back to cf.com to transfer it to 8way. Jump B disables tech crouch and can only be JF teched when hitting an aired opponent. You can also use B+K on over half the cast, which would give you a free ground throw.

Talim is my back-up right after Rock. I completely disagree on this match-up. The longer the match goes, the more in favor it is for Rock. Talim lacks the big damage needed to punish Rock, which means he can mix-up on her all day. Taki, however, can REALLY hit hard if you mess up. Remember her A punishes pretty much everything in the game. WSK and 66B rounds up her game.

I think Rock can take Talim. But most can.

Jumb B after 2B+G, well it doesn't work the same in 1.03. I'll have to give B+G a shot, though, since I know A+B is just for ROs.

1B+G, B+K, mixup is the only reason I bother using Rock against Amy, let me tell you.

I don't even know if anyone techs my 1A+G, since I alway go for the 22B. I guess I should work on that, see if I can trick someone into eating a 236B+K for shits and giggles.

Going to another small gathering tomorrow and bringing my camera. Should be another Taki player, so I'll see how I do against his.

That's why 3A+G, B+K is nice. It's free damage, with good followups (4A+B tech trap or run up ground throw if they don't tech), and you can read how the opponent techs.

On Taki's jump stance thing, I usually just 6K under and go for the back throw.

Well, here's where I'm at now:

2B+G. I still don't see what I'm supposed to be doing here. B+G is not guaranteed against any character I've tried it on. It's 2_8A+B, 9B, or maybe 6B+K, those are the only options I can see for guaranteed damage. Fun fact: this move is worthless against Hilde. Everything whiffs.

Taki. As you may have seen, I tried for 6K when she does the PO jump, but I was still getting hit (the low, and even the mid, track like a motherfucker sometimes). I found success just standing an blocking (all her options are mid/high), and waiting for the UB, then going for the low throw. Only problem with this is that I have to pay a lot of attention, and I always have to be reacting. I'll keep at this matchup, but beating Taki with Mina is cake.

Setsuka. I finally ran into a good Sets player a few days ago. I really can't see what to do in this matchup right now. She beats me at every distance, I can't punish for shit. I'm left just poking with 2K and hoping for an opening. This has been the toughest matchup for Rock I've played so far.

Yun. Also played a great Yun. This is doable, but still a real pain. 6K > Crane Stance, at least, and that helps.

Well, here's where I'm at now:

2B+G. I still don't see what I'm supposed to be doing here. B+G is not guaranteed against any character I've tried it on. It's 2_8A+B, 9B, or maybe 6B+K, those are the only options I can see for guaranteed damage. Fun fact: this move is worthless against Hilde. Everything whiffs.

Taki. As you may have seen, I tried for 6K when she does the PO jump, but I was still getting hit (the low, and even the mid, track like a motherfucker sometimes). I found success just standing an blocking (all her options are mid/high), and waiting for the UB, then going for the low throw. Only problem with this is that I have to pay a lot of attention, and I always have to be reacting. I'll keep at this matchup, but beating Taki with Mina is cake.

Setsuka. I finally ran into a good Sets player a few days ago. I really can't see what to do in this matchup right now. She beats me at every distance, I can't punish for shit. I'm left just poking with 2K and hoping for an opening. This has been the toughest matchup for Rock I've played so far.

Yun. Also played a great Yun. This is doable, but still a real pain. 6K > Crane Stance, at least, and that helps.

2B+G -> B+K is combo vs everyone
2B+G -> 9B -> 6B+K is combo if they don't just ukemi. If they do just ukemi, another crouch throw is tech trap in all directions

2B+G is the best crouch throw in the game

Use 4B vs Taki's PO jump if you anticipate it and do wakes.

Sets is a hard matchup, but crouch throw and regular throw are your friends. She has many TC moves. Look out for 11A and 1A:A:A and you're fine. Pick and choose your spots. Punish umbrella with 4A+B or 3B.

Rock vs Yun is pretty even.

Well clearly I'm doing it wrong, because I just cannot get 2B+G, B+G to hit, ever. It gets teched non-stop, even if I just start mashing B+G as soon as the 2B+G hits. I'll work in the 9B combos again, though; I'd thought they were fixed after 1.03.

There are a dozen moves that will beat Taki's PO jump. That's not the problem. It's everything else she does from PO that is.

Sets, I don't know. Can't punish shit, even with throws. Lot's of her moves leave her outside throw range on block, so I guess I'll have to start buffering in dashes or something. And I'm blocking all the lows, but I can't punish them, so that's not really helping me at all. But I'll admit my Setsuka experience is rather limited, especially against good Sets.

Well clearly I'm doing it wrong, because I just cannot get 2B+G, B+G to hit, ever. It gets teched non-stop, even if I just start mashing B+G as soon as the 2B+G hits. I'll work in the 9B combos again, though; I'd thought they were fixed after 1.03.

There are a dozen moves that will beat Taki's PO jump. That's not the problem. It's everything else she does from PO that is.

Sets, I don't know. Can't punish shit, even with throws. Lot's of her moves leave her outside throw range on block, so I guess I'll have to start buffering in dashes or something. And I'm blocking all the lows, but I can't punish them, so that's not really helping me at all. But I'll admit my Setsuka experience is rather limited, especially against good Sets.

The combo is 2G+B -> B+K not B+G. I'm not sure if you're making a mistake, you're repeating the combo as B+G too many times. There's no special timing for it, i'm not sure as to why you're having a problem. GO into practice mode and run through it a few times.

2G+B -> 9B doesn't need 'fixing' i'm not sure why you assumed it was in this patch :confused:

You asked about PO jump, so i gave a reply to PO jump. If you want a general guide on beating PO, then i have some tips for you. Depending on the transition, and depending on if she hits or block, you can interrupt her. eg, if you block a string, she'll do most likely 3 options, PO AA, PO K (both of which are high) or PO step. Of course u can duck and punish the highs with 6K (sometimes they'll interrupt u, hence u duck and then do 6K). vs PO step, duck and do bullrush. Easier said than done, but taki is not that threatening as her lows are not all that.

vs Sets, you just have to play more vs her. Yes, dashing in on her is very useful if you're out of range. You still retain advantage to try throws, crouch throws, 6K etc. The only low you cannot punish for her is 11A, all the others are very punishable on block.

Back