Sc5 Cervy Wishlist

I miss back in SC2 when Cervy's dread pressure (BT B+K in SC4) was chargeable into UB. I realise he already has quite enough tools at close range already, but even so I would love that option to be available.

I really dislike Cervy's 22_88BB ground pick-up move; the only thing that's good about it is during combo situations and that's only it.

I'm wondering if his regular 3AB should be a back RO.

I really dislike Cervy's 22_88BB ground pick-up move; the only thing that's good about it is during combo situations and that's only it.

I'm wondering if his regular 3AB should be a back RO.
I think it'd be better if b2 air grab automatically tossed them towards the ring edge or wall if applicable. I think the just frame should still be possible on block should be like -8 with a guard break on the 2nd hit and no shot.

Well, having an improved step as many others suggested would definitely be a plus, I do like me my mobility. I'm not too terribly competitive so I'm not sure how to improve frame data so I'll trust you guys and say whatever you guys are saying about x move having y frame data as opposed to z frame data.
I'll tell you what I would like, though . . .
* Remember B B 2A from SC2? I loved that mixup despite it's simplicity and possible tourney uselessness. Also, remember how 2A+B would bounce opponents and set them up for a perfect WC A+B? I wouldn't mind having that back. (I know his existing WR BB does this on the downswing, but just have his first swing flip people over his head into a BT RO as consolation.)
* Someone earlier mentioned the fact that Cervy had TWO swords and only ONE pistol . . . what if his bigger sword had a blunderbuss lining the back? That'd be freakin' epic. I have no idea how that'd be put into the game and made balanced but my god, the look on people's faces when they swallow that sweet sweet vengeful buckshot . . . also, more aesthetic than anything, but having two swords of identical size and similar design would satiate my strange obsession with symmetry. (Which would mean Cervy would be packin' TWO blunderbusses! BWAHAHAHAHA!!)
* The auto-counter A+K/B+K NEED to come back, they were too slick to lose. Also, 421K needs to be the new DC K as stated earlier by a different post.
* I miss the days of the unblockable 1aB, or just having the option of 1aB charged or not. And for that matter, what about 1A B, the one that spun him around into his WR B?
* Someone said it before, but more instant options out of DC would be pretty cool.
* In SC3 he had this wicked throw (forgot the name of it), 236236 B+G. I know they gave him WC 323 B+G as consolation, but they're different inputs, so let's have 'em both! (After all, Ivy gets Summoning Suffering AND Calamity Symphony.)
* Instead of the existing 4A+B, he instead iTP backwards and reappears in DC, allowing for all kinds of nasty setups and instant this-n-thats.

Cervantes is fine the way he is. The only few changes I would make is to make his move set a little more safer. For example 6B+K, is just punished brutally. The full iGDR will only whiff if they have a miracle and sidestep it just right, causing a whiff for 28B because they're not lined up. Or there is a wall right behind your opponent causing you to turn around ofc. A good way to stop them from getting a rising low if they can is to A+K while they rise, since iTP and (Facing Backwards) A+K avoids all lows.

Just learned how to 421 kB,B correctly a week ago. So yeah I'm still a "crew-mate". :S

The Mage is not sure if he can already do this but he wishes for Cervantes to be able to cancel his 4A+K as it would make a good feint move to use against foes.

i want his crouch CG to be a A+G grab and i want them to make his B+G grab much easier to cancel than in this game. Also brave edge iTP should go behind the opponent no matter were they are :P and brave edge iGDR should be a GB that leaves cervy at +5 on block and in a BT position.

Noface is basically right. All he REALLY needs is to be able to move slightly faster than a medicated fucking tortoise. That said, I'd be really pleased if the damage payoff for iGDR scaled up a bit to reflect the execution barrier for its combo--SC3 iGDR gave a braindead 90-100 or so.

Ultimately, however, my biggest wish as of right now is just to see Cervantes in the game. Everything else is sauce.

Noface is basically right. All he REALLY needs is to be able to move slightly faster than a medicated fucking tortoise. That said, I'd be really pleased if the damage payoff for iGDR scaled up a bit to reflect the execution barrier for its combo--SC3 iGDR gave a braindead 90-100 or so.

Ultimately, however, my biggest wish as of right now is just to see Cervantes in the game. Everything else is sauce.

I don't agree with giving somebody completely overpowered tools if they put in the time and effort to practice the execution. That's not my idea of game depth or balance.

In fact, I would instead argue to make iGDR easier to execute. It is already an excellent move that serves its purpose well.

I don't agree with giving somebody completely overpowered tools if they put in the time and effort to practice the execution. That's not my idea of game depth or balance.

In fact, I would instead argue to make iGDR easier to execute. It is already an excellent move that serves its purpose well.

Note that I didn't say "completely overpowered." For me, a damage bump would be justifiable because of the risks inherent in using iGDR in combos: self-RO, getting punished, etcetera. Most of the cast doesn't incur that degree of risk when executing 65 damage combos.

Note that I didn't say "completely overpowered." For me, a damage bump would be justifiable because of the risks inherent in using iGDR in combos: self-RO, getting punished, etcetera. Most of the cast doesn't incur that degree of risk when executing 65 damage combos.

It's overpowered in the context that iGDR can be used as a whiff punisher, block punisher, AND in combos.

You can't quantify the risk of using iGDR because it's entirely dependent on the individual's execution skill level.
That's why I think it should simply be easier to execute, instead of creating a Cervantes metagame of haves and have nots where the haves get 90-100 damage iGDRs as a reward for grinding in training mode, or being Korean. Not to mention a move that serves these purposes and rewards you with such amounts of damage appears to be a little too good on its own, at least in my opinion.

Edit: I realize that there already haves and have-nots as it is, and I'm not advocating that GIs should have 20 frame windows in the interest of being consistent with my argument. This is specifically a problem I have with just frames.

The JF issue is a thorny one, and certainly one with which I've wrestled for quite some time. Fundamentally, I'm of the opinion that arbitrary execution barriers contribute very little to the robustness of a game. Irrespective of that, however, we must live in the real world, wherein there is in fact a relationship between execution barriers and damage output. Some of that is hard-coded, but you also need to consider that execution difficulty can arise as an emergent property, too. If you do things X, Y, and Z at times A, B, and C they're guaranteed, but it's tricky. That sort of thing.

Returning to the initial point, just compare the relative risks and rewards of iGDR to, say, Sophie's TAS B. That, too, is a block punisher, whiff punisher, and combo ender. Plus it's perfectly safe and does decent work on the meter, with almost zero consequences if you fuck up. At the same time, I don't see TAS B as game-breaking, or even really overpowered. It's just a staple of Sophie's game, much like iGDR is a staple of Cervantes'.

How easy do you want iGDR to be executed just out of curiosity? My only experience playing Cervy is from SC3 and it seems that executing iGDR in that version is easier than on SC4.

I gotta admit I was a greedy bastard when I want SC3 damage to be applied back to iGDR. Although I don't mind if Cervy gets some damage buffs from iGDR more importantly I wonder if the properties such as tech jump & crouch would return.

honestly i think if cervy returns he will not need any buffs from his sc4 version as he will already be receiveing BE's and a CE.

i think his iGDR needs more range and if u fin the whole thing it would be safe on block his GB needs to easyer to do or something because bashing a buttom over and over is a dumb to do a Jf he needs faster lows and 2a should be a low. over all better frames

iGDR in SC4 is not good at all imo.

First of all Reward/Risk ratio is a joke. There isnt ANY move in the game which fucks you up SO badly if it gets blocked. You better dont get blocked. On Block iGDR is literally the worst move in the game. Cant remember which is worse right now...

80-90 Damage up to 200 DMG for a blocked move against most of the better chars? Astas 236B+K if you do 28B? Yoshi Unblockable for 140? Tas B Tas B? For a move that does 55 Damage with multiple JFs?

2nd, if you step something, why wouldnt u use 3B? Its ten times better, more damage, safer. If you step something from really far away..ok. Thats the only really good use.

3rd...it lost his good properties from SC3. SC3 iGDR CRUSHED through moves like there is no tomorrow. SC4 iGDR has ZERO priority, it has almost no TJ anymore and no usefull TC that i know.

As a block punisher, there are certain moves where it makes sense, most of the time it does not. I've posted multiple times why aB, WSA are better. One frame late with iGDR punishment? You are dead. And of course you cant punish ANY -15 moves with it.

But im 100% sure it gets a BE edition in SC5 if he is in the game...maybe thats the answer.

In General he was ok balanced in SC4. He needs to be a bit safer to avoid horrible matchups (Sophitia and Setsuka)....then some move tweaking. I would like to see some changes since he is always the same. 22B of SC2 was nice, 1aB+K....a working iTP.

Back