WP WhiP
CL CoiLed
SE Serpent's Embrace

SS Summon Suffering
CS Calamity Symphony

A+K Hide Thyself
B+K Reveal Thyself

PART B: Stance FAQ

Q1: How does Ivy's stance transition works?

Q2: How to bypass stance shift animation?

Q3: How to stay in stance with moves that involve A+K or B+K?

Q4: How come I can't shift stances after I perform a move with SE?

A1: You start off in CL. Stance shift occurs as illustrated. A+K move left on the chart. B+K move right. Each input triggers a color spark. Red for A+K. Blue for B+K. Each stance shift require 2 sec cool down before its next shiff. There are some exceptions which are explained in response to Q4.

WP<<<<A+K<<<<CL>>>>B+K>>>>SW>>>>B+K>>>>SE

WP>>>>B+K>>>>CL<<<<A+K<<<<SW

Transitions that change move properties:

CL A+B> A+K> WP
CL A,A+K> WP
WP 6A, B+K> CL

Transitions in and out of SE :

WP 3> SE

CL 214> SE

SE A> WP

SE B series> CL

SE A+K> WP

SE B+K series> CL

SE A+B> CL

SE 66K> SW

Cancel with G from SE are respectively from how it was entered:

WP 3> SE>G> WP

CL 214> SE>G> CL

SWB+K> SE>G> SW

SE B+K series (on CH) are respective to what stance is entered.

A2: Methods to skip stance shift animation.
a) - Input during move animations.
b) - Hold onto shifts as notation [A+K] or [B+K] for shifts to occur immediately after cooldown.
c) - Hold G then hold onto either shifts. Release only G. Train to slide release, so you release ]A+K[ or ]B+K[ after releasing G to attack straight after the shift.

A3: To stay in WP while performing moves with B+K: Hold [A] during the input.
To stay in SW while performing moves with A+K: Hold during the input.
To stay in CL while while performing moves with B+K: Hold [A] during the input.

Holding [A] or applies during SE B+K on CH.

A4: There is a buffer lock which prevents stance transitions during recovery after u exit any SE move. Inputing the stance still give cool down so its not recommended.

PART C: Command Throws

Q1) How come my SS/CS buffer fails?
Q2) How to execute JF CS?
Q3) When I get SS/CS by Ivy how come I cannot break it?
Q4: What are CS and iCS differences?

A1: The buffer window is less than 30 frames which is more restrictive in the new SCIV buffer system. Inputting the buffer during movesets have become restrictive in the new system meaning the game reads ur buffer at the end of the move recovery. Hence from the two factors, it becomes harder to execute. Recently, players have found out there are some movesets that read buffer more leniently. SCIV Ivy's buffer timing during movesets are varied in difficulty and needs further study.

A2: Buffer very fast and ensure the direction "1' and "A+G" are together in the final input.

A3: The break window is rumoured to be 5 frames, making it incredibly difficult to break unless anticipated. Any new evidence please post up.

A4: CS does 80dmg pts where as iCS does 100 dmg. iCS have more range and flashes white.

PART D:Other FAQ

Q1) How come I see Ivy's UB don't give charge, sound or Screen blackout?
Q2) What are Ivy's Auto-GIs?
Q3) What are her shakeable stuns that players should take note of?
Q4) About SW 6B Hold property.
Q5) How come Ivy's rocketlauncher combos spike downwards in between?

A1) Ivy's SW UBs can be silenced while charging: SW [A+B] and SW 3[B+K].
It is performed by tap ~ hold. E.g: Tap SW A+B and instantly hold [A+B].
Hence the notation is: SW A+B~[A+B]. (credit to Di and Ring)

A2) WP 4A+B, WP A+B and WS A+B (For CL, WP and SW).
- WP 4A+B against all horizontals.
- WP A+B against all horizontals. (size vary btn 4-6 frame window)
- WS A+B against all mids. Correct me on this one.

A3) On natural hit: SW 3A, SW 1A, SE A
On counter hit: SW 6, CL 33_99A, CL 6A>K, WP 6A>B+K.

A4) SW 6 GC on natural hit. Therefore does not incur stun on punish hence not a recommended punisher. However against crouch state opponent it incurs stun.

A5) This trivial with regards to hitboxes. Each rocket launch have too hitboxes. The launch and the spike. If the opponent's hitbox are detected during the second hitbox, it spikes them. This occurs more often to bigger chars like Algol, Astaroth and Zasalamel which spoils the RO attempt. Experiment with launch timings as it produces different results with regards to when it spikes or not.

Well by now we all know it's garbage, and hopefully it will soon be a thing of the past, but for now...

please don't do this people.

The use of this directory is to help you navigate through the Ivy Soul Arena.
In an effort to keep this Soul Arena tidy - both in contents and visuals - you
are kindly requested, to make your posts in their respective threads.

Main Contents:
(These folders contain basic information about Ivy)

Ivy BD Changes
List of all SC4->BD changes.
General Discussion & FAQ
Main Lounge. Any random Ivy-related info/discussion is welcome.
Also, this is the place to post any questions you may have.
Frame Data
Details about impact, frame advantages/disadvantages, safety/unsafety etc.
Soul Damage Data
List of all moves' Soul damage potential.
Combos
Compilation of guaranteed combos. Wall combos added in here as well.
SS & CS/iCS
Everything you need to know about two of the most daunting
moves, in the whole Soul Calibur Fighting Games history.
Media
Soul Arena's Theater. The place to post your videos.

Other Contents:
(These folders contain various information about Ivy)

Coiled State
In-depth discussion about Ivy's Coiled State.
Sword State
In-depth discussion about Ivy's Sword State.
Whip State
In-depth discussion about Ivy's Whip State.
Serpent's Embrace
Everything you need to know about Ivy's special stance: the Serpent's Embrace.
Punishment
Information about how to improve your punishing game.
Unblockables
List of all Ivy's Unblockable moves and how to use them for your advantage.
Auto-GI Moves
List and description of all Ivy's auto-GI moves.

PS: Note that, atm, you don't have to post only at the options shown above.
More options will be added here, as the SA is being tidied.
This means that this thread will be edited/updated very soon.
Enjoy your stay!

Ivy General Discussion (Post Random Stuff Here)

oh so wrong!!! sc3 ivy>sc2>sc4....buffer madness!!!

didn't really play the first sc...

Yup, SC2 Ivy was a total beast, especially in the PAL version. Her best SC game for sure.

With any luck they'll sell us the old versions of the characters as DLC and this won't be an issue any more. Ill take SC1 Ivy over SC4 any day of the week.

I must agree with SC2 being Ivy at her peak.
In SC3, Ivy lost ALOT of the damage from most of her attacks, not to mention her 2a range being CUT in Arcade.
I'm sadly unable to play her in SC4, I try, but I just can't seem to make her work. She feels like a "Great on paper" theory character, but the delay between transitions,a nd the lack of buffering.... it just makes her feel to constricted to actually respond to any situation.

I'm sadly unable to play her in SC4, I try, but I just can't seem to make her work. She feels like a "Great on paper" theory character, but the delay between transitions,a nd the lack of buffering.... it just makes her feel to constricted to actually respond to any situation.

What do you mean with transition delay? You can transition during moves. It just takes relearning Ivy completely, as usual. I know how you feel, I loved SC2 Ivy too; but hey, there is nothing we can do. Don't give up on Ivy, she has a lot of potential.

If you take notice while toying around: I can't go from Whip to Sword without passing over Coil first, now in order to do that, I need to hit B+K. If I instantly hit B+K Again, Ivy will not transition. This delay between each transition makes her feel a little constricted. She instead attacks without changing her Whips state if you hit the input too fast.
I think the time is around 2 seconds, but I'll check right now to be sure.

I will never give up on her, as she has been my main for roughly 4 years now, but I can't use her well enough to justify ranked matches, or tournaments. (YET)

True, there is a 2 second delay, and you can't instantly transition from SW into WP. Nevertheless, Ivy still has a lot of options open to her, you just gotta learn a totally new style of Ivy playing, with I completely different mindset.

That is largely my problem. It's tough for me to literally lose a mindset I was playing for 4 years. Pressure, and mixups with CS/SS/Ringouts/Mids.

I'm working on her, it's just hard when my gut reaction is to 1a in Sword State for a low, and it comes out as a High... and I knew it would be a High, but reflexes told me it would be low.
I'm sure anyone who has had changes like that can sympathize. Every 1A I press needs to be 1A+B instead. Just takes time to break the habits I have formed. Then the property change on moves such as her Shoulder Tackle. It no longer Rings out, and it works against pressure games by leaving Serpents Embrace. The large number of options I lose from Serpents Embrace. (No more grabs, slower executed attacks, ect. It is exactly like you said though. New character, New mindset. I need to purge myself of anything I knew before playing SC4.

(Less on topic)
I'm also tired of 2A completely missing... >< I want my range back! (Coil and Sword)

Has anybody noticed how SW 214K tends to whiff sometimes, but the animation continues, causing you to be wide open on CH.

Totally Random find here, I'm doing some Safe Unsafe testing with Ivy ATM, and I found that her WP B can be Canceled. Thought I might list this in case anyone can get use out of an instantly cancel-able attack, Going to try some buffering with this to see what can be done.

-It seems that you can buffer for the whole 5 frames of this cancel animation with SS. At best I see this as somewhat of a shuffle stopper in Whip State.

i got addicted to ivy dominance in sc2. i didn't like sc3 ivy much so ididn't play it much. my soul calibur buddies and i ended up sticking with playing sc2 through most of the life span of sc3.

sc4 looks like it has potential, but i'm completely lost when i try to play ivy nowadays. practically everything has changed.

i tried playing vs someone at work with ivy and he beat me with his astaroth. he's not even that great, i'm just completely terrible at ivy now. he switched to ivy and i switched to astaroth and i kicked his butt with a character that i've played 3 times now since sc4 came out.

/sigh. i'm just frustrated. =(

Like TVS has said, don't get frustrated. Just try to cope with the fact that she is in fact a brand new character with the same looking moves as the one we know as Ivy.

That being said, I have been discovering some very useful tools with Ivy, and I'm beginning to see her as FAR more viable than I did as previously.

I ran through her full Move list, and sadly, I found a total of 12 different low attacks.
Her weakness tends to be in the fact that she only has 2 accessible fro Coil State. Sword State has more tools for Low attacks, and thankfully, (Bar the Unsafe factor of 2A+B) they work well. Whip State has the most varying Low attacks, but they are not all as good as what she previously had in SC3, or SC2. I found that this was my problem entirely while trying to get the hang of the character. I would instinctively go for 1A, or 1B, but get a HORRIBLY SLOW CH ONLY LOW DAMAGE setup move. or a Mid that is Unsafe. 2K, and 1A are her Low options in Coil. 2K is as we should all know usable in all stances (Bar Embrace). Now that I hafe come to terms with this, I am more free to change to Sword State and use 22K, 214K, 2A+B, 1B.. and toss in a mix up game instead of looking for defense tools in Coil. (Special Low attacks are NOT acceptable as Lows, so don't tell me she has more.)

How much are you guys using SW?
I'm using it very rarely, sticking with CL for most close range stuff, I don't like being 2 stance changes away from WP when I'm in SW.

I am stuck in Sword since Coil has NO LOWS. You can tell me 2k and 1a all day, but I will argue that they are both HORRIBLE. WP state requires too much spacing in a game that completely seems to spit the Long Range game, and thus... is typically too Unsafe, or HIGH happy.

Yo

In terms of dmg, SC2 is greatest. In terms of versatility, SC4 is better. I like the new tools they gave her in SW and CL and the damage she is capable of doing off combos. Her RO game is strong everysince she got BT A+B and CL 236BB. And they also do wonders in combos. Command throws being nerfed is only a superficial layer.

I miss her old SC2 4A+B cancel, SC3 WP FC 3B's eary recovery and SE.

CL and WP are great for spacing. If u can make rushers fear ur SW game and space more u get the upper hand in CL and WP.

CL doesnt have good lows bcos it isnt ideal for close in poking, rather its for keepout.

The thing I wished would happen was if her stance transition is a wheel rather than a line. Where WP and SW can also interlink. Tho that would make CL pointless.

It's just hard to say that that Spacing is her strength when her attacks come out so slowly, a Rusher can lock you down, and drain your Gauge very easily. I know CL AA and CL BB are typically good at keeping your Gauge even, but the amount of Times CL BB wifs on HIT (the 2nd completly missing at point Blank) gets me punished by Bullshit stuff, and it doesn't look like that is about to change any time soon. Giving her no Lows makes her predictable, and VERY susceptible to 6_4G. The number of Unsafe moves, and her lack of Advantage after MOST of her attacks just gives me next to no reason to Stay in Coil Unless I know that My opponent won't guard CL A+B, A+K...
I will say that (With the exception of 1A, WHAT THE HELL IS A QUICK HIGH DOING IN 1A!?!?!?!) Sword State is VERY well done, It has options from Recovery, and Options for High/Mid/Low, to make her less predictable and plenty of Punishment. I don't have to worry about being Unsafe with my wake up game like I do in Whip or Coil. I just wish that Coil served a purpose, because it feels like it was added in last minute. The A+B, AK glitch alone shows that, and then the fact that State switching is UNSAFE just makes her more of a rush down target.
Maybe I'm just WAY too bad at this game to have an opinion.... but I just don't see how she is Viable against other Characters like Cass, Sophy, Apprentice.... Ect, If they get in before you get to Sword, your taking damage. And they WILL Tech Crouch your Wake up.

Back