SCV Interview With Daishi Odashima At NEC XII

After the conclusion of Saturday’s events at NEC XII, Soulcalibur V director Daishi Odashima and Yoshi Utoh we able to take some time out of their day for a sit down interview conducted by BrewtusBibulus to answer various questions from the Soulcalibur community.

You can check out the interview along with keyframes after the break, or you can view the video by clicking on the icon to the right of this post if you are reading this from the front page.

Keyframes from Sp1d3r:

0:50 What do Mitsurugi players have to look forward to with the removal of the knockdown of 2KB? (A 1:38)​
3:30 People are wondering if there is any way to regenerate your guard guage? (A 4:15)​
8:46 People are concerned that the flash of the Brave Edge moves will be too predictable. How does this factor into your design? (A 10:09 )​
12:32 What is a clean hit? 13:25 Why is it random? (A 15:31)​
16:56 Why can’t you be more manly?​
18:45 Why are so many characters getting their stances removed? (A 19:35)​
21:05 What do players have to look forward to that enjoyed mechanic-heavy characters like Setsuka or stance-heavy characters like Ivy? (A1 22:30 | A2 23:30)​
24:47 So you made the Street Fighter IV of Soul Calibur? (A1 25:13 | A2 25:38)​
26:33 Can you explain Just-Guard?​
27:30 What is the unsafe part of Just-Guard? (A1 28:00 | A2 28:46 )​
31:00 What would it take for you to patch the game and how often do you plan on patching it? (A1 32:55 | A2 35:25 | A3 36:50 )​
37:50 Are there infinites in the game? (A 38:18)​
38:50 Regarding character balance, would you buff the weaker side or nerf the stronger side? (A 39:40)​

Last edited by a moderator:
well that was long, but good news i heard their showing yoshimitsu,aeon,xiba,cervantes gameplay at the end of december in a live stream from their office,i sure hope yun seong gets revealed soon i kick so much ass with him in sc4, cant wait for aeon gameplay, im most exited about him, that fire breathing double axe weilding angel dragon if hes really good ill main him of course if yun seong is not in there, also, i think setsuka just got confirmed here, they said "maybe there will be a high execution character in sc5" in the interview but of course thats not 100% sure anyway aeon ftw!!! ill be using him in sc5 along with dampierre! and one last thing you guys should put a countdown clock for SC5 showing how many days left for sc5 release in 8wayrun, gotta do my preorder soon,less than two months to go!

Good on Bibulus for asking tough questions and not just lobbing softballs like so many other interviewers. I like their take on character balancing. It's good to know that they see improving weaker characters, and not necessarily nerfing stronger ones, as the key principle.

You need to have some more fun with life. If it's all professional I'm gonna put people to sleep. I just wished he answered some of my other fluff questions like "How do you deal with your mass twitter messages?"

There's plenty of ways to have fun but I think it was kinda rude and uncalled for to question him on his style.
This interview was very comprehensive and interesting, don't get me wrong and a funny question is more than welcome but that one, I dunno.

Great interview. Daishi looks like he wants to dropkick Bibulus right out of his top hat during the clean hit segment.
Yeah, I was waitn' on him to just stand up, mug him, and all of a sudden say, "da FUCK you laughin' at!!!" in english....

all in all though, great interview, Bibulus.

That was a nice interview, probably the most candid so far, even though Daishi looked bored as heck (he was probably intimidated by the sparkly top hat). Speaking of top hat guy, did he have a specific reason why he started laughing during the "clean hit" answer? That was a bit random. And speaking of random, that definitely sounds like an idiotic mechanic. I don't buy their logic of making something random just to keep things interesting.

I wonder what path they'll take with patching. Daishi seems to think there should only be a tiny amount of patches and there should only be a patch if there's something seriously wrong. He's actually directly contradiciting what other people have said in other interviews where they said they'll definitely keep the game completely balanced with patches. It sounds like Daishi would actually prefer a tier list which is all over the place and for it to stay that way.

16:56 Lol So the guy in the middle is Daishi? Very girly man indeed. but that man has style, lovin that coat he has on. generic hair-do though.

18:45 Stances removed for ALL characters? News to me.

It's really hard to read Daishi's emotions; 99% of the time he looks pissed.

In regards to Clean Hit; I at least never noticed the effect. I also think that if you want to encourage the use of certain moves for beginners, it's sufficient enough to put the moves under a "Signature Moves" category of the Command List. With the Clean Hit system, you still have to tell beginners to use those certain Clean Hit moves for them to take advantage of it. I doubt beginners will be in the middle of a match and think, "oh hey, I got a Clean Hit, I'm gonna use that move more."

not liking on the clean hit part, they are introducing this randomness in the game which is.. just weird.. there's really no reason for doing it. is it a just frame?

Live streams

17 Viewers
izayagenesis
izayagenesis
237 They would call us heroes
1 Viewers
xomegathedeityx
xomegathedeityx
relaxing with games while on break from the lab

Forum statistics

Threads
Members