SCVI Character Select Screen - 3D Models or 2D Art?

Which style do you prefer?

• 3D models

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • 2D artwork

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Hybrid: show artwork until model loads

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Hybrid: show artwork until character is selected

Votes: 29 49.2%

• Total voters

Norik

[14] Master
We've all seen the character select screen in the SCVI gameplay demos:

select.png

As you move your cursor around the screen, the game loads the corresponding character model. This is reminiscent of Soul Calibur 2, 3, and 4. While this looks alright, it has two main disadvantages: it takes some time to load the models (so the screen is empty for some time), and some of the poses look awkward (like Groh and Sohitia). SC1 and 5 took at different approach, having the characters' 2D artwork show up instead of their 3D models.

This is obviously a matter of aesthetic preference but I much prefer this second style of select screen—partly because I don't like the empty screens or the awkward breathing idle animations, but also because the 2D artwork is amazing and I loved how it was implemented in SCV. So I decided to make a quick mock-up of what that would look like in SCVI, and I quite like the result:

color.jpg

I asked about this preference on the Discord and a number of people said, to my surprise, that they prefer the 3D models. I'm curious to see what the general opinion is on this subject. Which style of select screen do you prefer? 3D or 2D?

One compromise I came up with was to show a decolored version of the artwork until the models load. This way the screen is never empty, which is one of my biggest gripes. I call this the hybrid select screen. Alternatively, the game could show the art until the player clicks on a character, and then it displays the 3D model. Thoughts?

luminosity.jpg

Last edited:
Hybrid is best in my opinion. Always has something to show, but aims to show the character at their best when possible.
Artwork alone can be enough though... I think USFIV's character select screen is still one of the best. Wouldn't work with the art we have though as they're all facing the viewer.

Hybrid is the best to me. I like the 3D models, but why leave the rest of the gorgeous 2D art to waste? Let's see the entirety of the 2D art when the cursor is on it. And upon selection we see the 3D models.

Hybrid, I'd like it if it was 2D art on the selection screen, dim when not selected, lit up when selected, and then 3D models on the loading screen like the older games where you can press a button to say one of a few canned messages, battle cry, whatever. That'd be the best.

I love the art for the characters in this game, by far the best in the series, that said I can live with either.

I find the circular borders around each of the character choices too thick. If this was reduced, and less "gaps" between the selection circles means we can have slightly larger portraits.

2D will not work because

1) There hasn't been the alternate colors for the character art
2) Since SC3 there hasn't really been 2p outfit character art
3) There will be no way to have art for CAS custom characters (You could do it like SC5 but that doesn't have enough polish imo)

They did 2D for SoulCalibur V without having alternate colors or 2p character outfit art. It only has the art for the 1p with default colors, but they still did 2D. And the alternate colors are still likely not set in stone, and we'll be able to make alternate colors as we choose, as we could before.

They did 2D for SoulCalibur V without having alternate colors or 2p character outfit art. It only has the art for the 1p with default colors, but they still did 2D. And the alternate colors are still likely not set in stone, and we'll be able to make alternate colors as we choose, as we could before.
V had the little card that were customable

@WuHT Obviously the way this would work would be that the 3D models would appear once you select a character, as in Guilty Gear Xrd. The menus are already set up this way, with a color selection menu (and presumably costume selection in the near future) popping up when you choose your fighter. This is basically what they did in SCV, except they'd use the actual character models instead of those lame little character snapshots.

The 3d models are classic. The artwork used for the icons AND instead of the model is a bit over done.

If I wanna see it that badly Ill go to the Art Gallery (which I will as SC is a HUGE artistic inspiration for me).

V had the little card that were customable
Which led to a really lame showdown on the loading screen, two lifeless cards.

...The artwork used for the icons AND instead of the model is a bit over done.

If I wanna see it that badly I'll go to the Art Gallery...
That's what they did for SoulCalibur V, the 2D art was the same as the art that was on the tiles, it's just that you could see the whole thing. It looked really nice, and, as was pointed out in the original post, gave instant gratification instead of waiting for the model to load. The models could be on the loading screen instead of those customizable card things like from SoulCalibur V.

But the return of the art gallery is something that I am looking forward to, assuming we do get it. I'll probably buy an artbook anyway if they make one, but being able to unlock more things in-game is definitely a good thing.

I dont think 3D models fit this particular character select. It looks way better with artwork

3d models. Not a fan of seeing any artwork for the character selection screen. Comparing SoulCalibur 3 to SoulCalibur 5, the art just seems lazy compared to 3d models. Save all that for an art gallery section.

Also, I only play as custom characters. 2d/Hybrid wouldn't look good for them at all.

Last edited:
Back