Seong Mi-na General Strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

InsaneKhent

[12] Conqueror
AAB

A simple horizontal poke string that goes into a safe launcher. Against experienced opponents this must be used sparingly because it's exploitable inbetween by crouching or GI. If you manage to snag a CH with AA, the entire string is free and you get a massive damage opportunity. And as a matter of fact, this string will yield the most CH damage you can look for.

aAB

aA is much safer to use than AA and faster. While it's two highs like AA, she flings them out so quick that there's no way for them to exploit inbetween. It gives just as much advantage on hit, and has an ender which pushes back far and has potential to ring out forward. However, it looks very difficult to CH confirm this full string unlike AAB which is easier.

AA(2)(8)

This puts Mi-na directly on either side of her opponent corresponding to whatever direction you push. If AA hits and you chose to do this, she's at negative frames. This likely means that the 2 or 8 direction change is punishable if AA is blocked. They might not attempt this if they respect the B ender. I would, however, expect them to react to her sidehop and take the initiative. So anyway, the only logical use I can see for this is getting yourself out of a corner or edge!

1A

This is just like 2A except it does a few points less of damage. It looks faster though and I think it can be done from FC. The TC window becomes active a little later than 2A.

2A

Most characters in SC2 have a 2A that is designed to stop people from doing shit that includes but is not limited to; pressing buttons, stepping, and grabbing. You will not be able to do this with Mi-na, which is where using her effectively starts to get tricky. Her 2A is merely a fast low that sets her up in FC. Don't be fooled by the fact that it is a horizontal - it doesn't track for shit. Unbeknownst to many, this low actually rings out forward and slightly to the right if the opponent is right up on a ring edge.

3A

This is great! It has the issue of not tracking to that problem side....unless used at tip range. And that's all you need out of this move - it covers a ton of distance and knocks the opponent down. It even rings out forward-right.

3aA

Before she figured out how to put this one together with her 6AK, it was used as a "cancel" for her 3A. Unless you're playing on stick, you may have trouble getting this out as fast as possible without shifting your binds around. As far as properties go, it's a good move up close; reasonably fast if done properly and mid horizontal. However, it doesn't leave the ideal plus frames she wants after hit, which means 3B won't stuff AAs and 2As. It has the ability to push back on CH but only when the opponent is caught attacking; not during step. Definitely use it to keep people in check, but remember that when you're looking for the real damage, you've got bigger guns.

4A

This is an extremely important move that avoids most shitty situations. It will reset your position and render certain frame traps unusable against Mi-na. Your opponent will most likely use a far reaching and powerful vertical to hard counter it. So don't spam it al the time. Vary your defensive options between stepping or simply holding the guard button.

6AK

This is fast, works decently against step, is completely safe, pushes out, and gives a few advantage frames. But don't give it so much consideration that you spam it - downsides include piss poor range and not a single part of the string hits mid. You'll have to play SC3 or SC4 for those perks.

7/8/9A

This is a safe and horizontal tech jumping mid. It is supposed to catch step to her most problematic side, but due to the nature of how step is in the game, I doubt this will be very useful for that purpose. Instead, using it as a retreating move is a pretty good idea. It can cover a lot of ground in front of her as she jumps away.

WR A

A safe mid that covers a ton of range and all step. Plus, it has evasive properties to it including a tech crouch. Spam this move like it's going out of style because in her case, it eventually did!

WL A

Her best WL move. Catches step and is an almost invisible low. Has good range and rings out forward and to the left. Careful though - it's unsafe!

bA

HELL FUCKING YEAH. This is one of the best moves in her arsenal, bar none. It's fairly quick, covers some distance, tech crouches, and has a double-over stun on CH that combos with 4B+K. It suffers from not tracking at all to her right side, but that's fair a tradeoff for all it's good points. Use it wisely spam it as much as possible.

(Hold B)3K

Some people may get confused on how the input for this actually works (I know for sure I was), so I'll explain. This basically works like Hilde's charge moves in SC4 and SC5. You have to hold down B and while you are doing so, 3K comes out as a quick low zanbatou poke. Keep in mind that holding B+K counts as holding B. So if you set up your controller binds properly, you can do this without giving up a face button.

BB

There's nothing special about her BB. It's GIable inbetween and doesn't combo without a CH. Single B by itself is pretty good as a low damage poke when you need to just shave off a bit of their health to win the match. This is due to it having good range and the ability to hit grounded.

bK

The first of 3 Auto GI moves. It's too hard to test with this shitty training mode, but it works on highs and throws. Sometimes it double-over stuns, sometimes not. Oh well. If it doubles over, 4B+K is the ender. But that's not all! This can also be used as an ender to launchers that sends them forward a long ways; easy for ring outs.

FC 1B

This long ranged low is pretty obsolete due to 44B. Scroll down for that particular move's description. FC 1B is slower and does less damage.

2B

This is an unlisted move. It's just like single B, except it does 6 more points of damage and puts her in FC where she can access cool moves like WR A.

3B

Everyone raves about this one. It's actually atrocious how good this move is. It's the standard attack option that anyone and everyone should be using, and by using I mean spam the absolute shit out of it. Safe. Pushes out. Hits grounded. Free high damaging combos on launch along with great oki options. Mix this up with lows and throws up close. The only thing you'll need to get the hang of on this one is where the sweet spot is. It will not launch at tip range, but give 28 damage and advantage. Make this your whiff punisher.

4B

The primary function of this move is to take a giant shit on anyone who tries to wakeup attack from a distance. If 3B doesn't reach them, this will. Other than that, you have better and faster mids for people who are standing. You can't necessarily go wrong with this one, since it is safe and pushes out a lot.

4(Hold B)

This puts them in a guard break situation where they must GI out of any fast followups. And those followups are 66A (or bA) and 6B2. I say those because they are all that will reach in open space. If the distance closes due to a wall or edge, you can use 3B or better yet, 6K to ring them out. Be mindful that this is slow enough to be stepped or GI'd on reaction.

6BB, 6BA

6BB at least looks like it should be NCC, but it rarely works properly. It is however, NC on opponents in FC. Not like you need it anyway - you have better options. Just keep it in reserve as the combo ender to 6A+K. 6BA isn't too good either. Doesn't give any sort of pushout on hit and it's negative frames.

6B2

SCOOPS! A ranged vertical low that does a solid 30 damage. If it gets a CH, they fall flat on their face. This move is also great for oki in many knockdown situations where ankle throws and 3B aren't in range for the sweet spot.

7/8/9B

This is the slowest out of her jumping moves, but also the most powerful. It has a knack for avoiding certain mids and even highs due to the evasive movement (it's when she kicks her legs behind her). When it works, 3B combos.

WR B

Think of this as a variation of 3B that you do from crouch. It is less damage overall, but pushes out way far on block and tech crouches full. You don't need to worry about spamming this move until SC4. 3B is better in this game.

WL B

This is the mixup you use with WL A. It acts just like WR B. Unsafe.

K

This is her fastest move. You will need this to fend off aggression. It's also ideal for cutting down slow and powerful moves designed to hard-counter your 4A.

kB

This is okay, I guess. She has better options for lows if you ask me.

1KK

The classic Seong Mi-na low. Instantly tech crouches, covers step, and is pretty darn close to being hit confirmable, I think. 1K by itself leaves her in FC. It covers a decent amount of range, but will get you merked if you whiff. Same for if they block the entire string . As far as the opponents options go, they can tech after both variations of this move knockdown. They also have the ability to air control backwards after the full string. Keep it in your back pocket and surprise them with it in once in a while.

This is your primary low of choice. It is neutral on hit and gets her hurtbox low to avoid highs and shit. There's almost never a bad time to do this. However, I think it might have issues with step. Like 2A and 1A, it sets you up in FC.

3KK

Think of 3K as regular K, except mid and a bit slower. However, the nice thing is that 3K by itself pushes out really good. The 2nd K is a high and only a combo on CH. This string is not delayable. Knowledgeable players will duck under it.

4KB

This is yet another unreliable Auto-GI that...........wait a minute, who cares!?!? This bad boy is safe, hit confirmable, has an insanely huge delay window, pushes back, and can ring out for miles. You can clearly see how this move got totally shit on in SC4 when you compare it to all those admirable qualities listed above.

This is nowhere near as good as it is in SC3. It auto-impacts verts and tech crouches, but it's hard to ultilize properly because both of those windows appear to have a late startup. You need to be right on the money with this one or use it against strings. Talim BBK is one that I know of, for example. It knocks back far, so use this for ring outs. Very safe on block and pushes out madly like almost every other move she's got.

6kB

This is cool, but other moves take precedence over it. You can use it after a launcher, but I would suggest 6B+K instead. This might make a good ducked throw punisher if you can react with it. Otherwise, WR K is fine.

7/8/9K

Duuuuude, this is her best tech jumping move. Sure, it doesn't have the range or horizontal ability of 9A or the damage of 9B, but it comes out really fast and for some goddamned reason I can't fathom, pushes out like ridiculous on block! I mean, ridiculous to the point where you have to just laugh your ass off everytime. This is invaluable to her close range techniques.

WR K

Her block punisher from FC. Knocks down and leaves them at her toes. It even rings out forward. Be careful using this outside of punishment or ducked throws/strings - it's linear and unsafe.

WL K

An alternative option to WL A. Looks and acts like 22K. Unsafe.

A+BA+B, A+BaA, A+BAB(G)

A+BA+B sucks. However, A+BaA and A+BAB aren't so bad. A+BaA hits mid while A+BAB thwarts an early GI attempt. One gives you advantage and the other knocks down.

1A+B, 3A+B

One of the better lows she has. Either version nets you similar damage with comparable wakeup scenarios. If they properly break the attack throw, 3B is free within a rather tight window. These lows aren't the fastest out there, but they can catch step and are completely safe. Use 1A+B for back ring outs.

2A+B

This is a series of lows where Mi-na tickles the opponent's feet. It appears to hit grounded opponents after combos that either launch or knockdown, but is not consistent in piling up all the damage. Therefore, it doesn't have any use that I know of unless someone can find something.

4A+BBB

This is ideal for catching duckers. Start with a 4A+B input and watch their face get pounded on. Then, you have the option to push B as early as 2 swipes, and that's what you'll need to do for the natural combo. For best results, do not opt for the last B finisher. Instead, wait for Mi-na to land and then 3B them immediately. If you choose not to do any B's after 4A+B, they'll take some good damage and be left standing at disadvantage.

6A+B(G)

Everyone knows this as the favorite move of Kilik and Xiba scrubs, but Mi-na's version is some pretty hot shit. The cancelled version does two pokes followed by almost zero recovery and good plus frames on hit. If you chose not to cancel? No problem! Five pokes come out and can't be GI'd or stepped inbetween. Anyone who chooses to attack you after two pokes in the hopes that they'll catch you trying to cancel risks getting knocked down with no option to tech. If this move gets CH from poke 1, it's a combo. Careful though - this move is indeed linear and if you are stepped without cancelling in time, you're wide open.

8A+B

When you acquire a Level 3 Soul Charge, using this move becomes priority #1. Whatever you do, don't try to use this move anywhere inside tip range or it will most likely get you upset.

9A+BB(G)

All I know so far is that the guard break version of this gives a ton of frames. 4B and 6B2 can't be blocked, and up close shit like 6A+K works. That tells me that there's possibly a bit of potential in what you can set up after this move is blocked. Only problem is, how the hell are you going to get people to block it in the first place?! Refrain from using unless your opponent is really clueless. Fun fact: this move is legendary enough that it got it's own discussion thread in the SC4 forums, and started arguments between me and Canadian players.

FC A+B

I need to look into this one more. I first had it pegged as a silly move, but then I noticed something when fooling around with the cancel. If you just do the move without it, it's two attacks and it piles up to 43 damage total, not even a combo. Now, use the cancel and the first attack HITS TWICE in a row for 40 damage plus a billion advantage frames. Try it in training mode and you'll see.

A+K

This rather graceful-looking move knocks down really far, mid, tracks full, tech jumps, and looks so haaaaaawwwwwwtt. If you can place this move at the "safe" distance most of the time, you'll be fine.

1A+K

This is a straight up sneaky vertical low. And not only is it sneaky in the game, it's sneaky by not being in the command list! Not as much range or damage as 6B2, but it's quicker. Hits grounded too; sometimes it hilariously scoops them up off the ground and flicks them across the ring. Before you ask, no, it cannot ring out this way. I've already tried!

2A+K

Ranged horizontal low, standard issue for Ling Sheng students in the SC universe. I think it's safe; if not by frames, then pushout. Not a bad idea to use this if people are trying to outpoke you. After all, it does tech crouch and ring out!

3A+KA, 3A+KK

Tell ya what, this is a good one. 3A+K by itself has pretty good range for a sudden move and pushes out a ton on hit - ideal range for clever moves like bA and 6B2. The A and K followups? Welp, use them at your own risk. They both catch step but are hardly mixup material since they are both slow.

4A+K

Without a critical finish system, this very slow horizontal low is next to useless save for one scenario - it's a safer option for post GI (6A+K can be ducked if late). They would have to jump it on reaction in order to make you pay for doing it, and nobody labs Seong Mi-na enough to do that crap! Anyway, this combos with 3B for 63 damage. You're potentially cutting your damage in half post GI, but also cutting that risk in half too.

6A+K

Oh man, this is the POWER SHOT. Fast enough to fit in the GI window. But you wanna be careful throwing this out there because it's all just a bunch of highs. As stated, post GI is the way to go. 118 points of damage when comboed with 6BB. As good as this move is, it's actually quite messy and unreliable in terms of hitboxes and shit. If your opponent is off axis even a little bit because of stage limitations and such, it won't combo full and 6BB will get blocked off the ground or whiff completely. With experience, you should get a sense for when this will happen. And when it does, there isn't much you can do except just 3B them grounded for a bit of damage. But when it works properly, you've taken half a bar. If you do it near the edge, use 3B for a ring out.

B+K(G)

This is basically the B ender to her 22A as it's own move. It does 56 damage or so, has no combo but puts her in range perfectly for her oki options. 6B2, 4B, etc. Oh, and it does have that goofy cancel where she basically steps back 3 feet. How much use you can make of this move is entirely dependent on your opponent. If they're so eager to bother GIing this, the cancel will work wonders. At the very least, it's more ways to make them freeze their position. This is probably a great option for post GI near the ring edge mixed with 6K.

1B+K

If you've played SC3 or SC4, you should recognize this as a Auto GI for verticals. But in this game, it's a joke. It carries no special properties so throwing it out there is asking for trouble.

2B+K

If you like doing poke lows and then retreating afterwards, this move does it all for you in one input. It's low damaging and negative on hit.

4B+K

This is another escape move, except she dives back in with a low. It knocks down and is safe. The only risk to using this is getting stepped. Great set up near the ring edge, and can even dodge a few strings.

6B+K

First and foremost, this is THE move for launcher combos. Does high damage, and leaves them at her feet with no option to tech, thus 3B is a major threat on wakeup mixed with lows. When someone is sent into the air from a 3B, WR B, 22B etc you want to wait just a split second for them to fall downward, THEN use this move. If you do it properly, they will get slammed down on the ground. If you do it too early, they'll take less damage and "float" a bit away from you. Simply figure out the timing with all the launchers in training mode. It's easy. Now as for the move itself, it's good! It tech jumps fairly quickly and tracks slightly left. When it hits, the combo is........another 6B+K for 71 damage. How about that, eh?

9B+K

More or less a leap of faith. It's dangerous to use for many reasons, but it can get you out of what is potentially a bad situation if you use it wisely.

K+G

This is....not a taunt? Why, it's 4B from SC3 and SC4. It's a fast high poke with some range to it. She does a backwards leap after the move connects. This is the only move in her arsenal that will do it, whereas in future games she has several moves that will give her this retreat option.

11A

Slow low, mid range. Nothing like WL A. Next!

22AA, 22AB(G)

I personally have never been able to differentiate between enders on this, so I'm figuring this is a legit mixup. 22A on it's own is good because it covers step full. Now 22AB has a cancel, and it kinda makes me laugh a bit when I see it because she takes a huge fucking step back. God forbid you'd be close enough to, you know, maybe throw them? If you use 22A enough, you might bait something from your opponent that's to your liking.

33AA

Two slow mid ranged horizontals. They never combo under any circumstance, and are probably unsafe on block. All the more reason to just use one at a time.

44AA

Only good thing about this move is the very large delay window between the mid and low. Might be able to force hesitation that way? Otherwise, them jumping it everytime makes that whole mess pointless. Just use it once in a while if you want to draw laughter from bystanders.

66A

Although this move is good, there's several things about it that annoy me. For starters, the ideal distance you'd want to use it (right at the tip of the blade), does HALF the damage it would if you used it up close. So, 23 damage at tip, 46 at point blank. The second is that while it knocks down, but an instant back tech will move the opponent far out of range for any workable followups. Yes, even her range. Anyway, you will need this to curtail stepping if you're using a mid range heavy strategy.

99AA

Same as 33AA, just looks different. I believe 33A recovers faster than 99A.

22B

This is a good launcher, ideal to use after stepping something. Only problem with it is that it's really tough to do combos with it because she is just about right underneath them after launch. To save yourself the hassle, bK is the most consistent option for landing combos.

25B

Although the existence of this move dicks you over for trying to do inputs that start with B after step, it makes up for it by being really good. It steps and tech crouches at the same time, and the mid comes out fairly quick and has range. It even forces crouch on hit. Definitely don't underestimate it's use.

44B

This isn't too bad. It's also the reason you don't need to bother with FC 1B. Longest ranged low she has and I believe wholeheartedly that it is safe due to pushout at the least. This has a tip range property, so a small difference in damage between that and a shallow hit. The results are 28 damage at tip, opponent standing. Shallow hit is 23 damage, but opponent is left in FC. Either way you're still negative on hit, and I would presume that you're going to use this at tip range more than up close. Best times to use it are when people are getting up far away - time this right and you'll make them block it. If they do, no big deal.

66B

Mi-na bullrush. Not only does it have deceptively good range, but it tracks a bit and forces crouch on hit. 3B them when it CHs.

22K, 22kA

22K has a slow startup, but hits low and catches step. If you tack on a slide input with A, you get an extra attack after the kick that combos for 53 damage. Both variations of this move are unsafe.

33KK

This looks maybe somewhat ideal for run ins, since 33K by itself is 43 damage mid that tech jumps. The next K is an ender that looks just like WR K, and probably just as unsafe. This string is NCC only.

Not advantage on block, not even neutral. It's substantially negative, and you are way too close to abuse escape options afterwards. Your only hope is to try and bait attacks to GI afterwards, but that is obviously a great option because of the potential damage (scroll up to 6A+K, dude).

66KKK

There's only one thing this move is good for; forward ring outs. Aside from that, it blows, pure and simple. What's the point of using this as a mid when the 3rd and final kick can be air controlled? You have better options. Still, it has delay tricks that can be played around with the 3rd kick. Best you can do with this one is hit confirm and try to run in for mixups instead of finishing the string.

Throws

As always, her throws are really good. All of them except for B+G leave the opponent close with no teching option. If you really like grabbing people, the left side throw is 70 damage.

Last edited:
Ok, I finally did a complete write-up of her entire movelist. I think I covered most of the important stuff, but if anyone has anything to add, please PM me or post up in the general discussion/Q+A thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back