Setsuka: First Impressions and Expectations

Ramusu20

[07] Duelist
I want to dedicate this thread to see your opinion about the recently revealed character.

What you think of Setsuka's design?
What's your first impression of her gameplay?
How do you think her story will be?
What are your expectations of her full moveset and customizations?

Last edited:
9 outta 10 for both design and gameplay. I can look forward to her possessing quite a handful of just-frames even for SC moves. Tech-skill-intensive characters like her always catch my fancy.

As for customizations, well...let me just say I promised myself not to touch CaS until Setsu's announcement. But now that she is, I personally have a good mind to put her in either Taki's and/or Ivy's costumes and call it a day, although it never hurts to recreate her SC3 P2 costume.

This is going to be the longest 62 hours, 25 minutes, and 10...9...8...7 seconds of my life. :sc3set1:

She's gorgeous. Definitely the best design we've seen for her yet. I also love that they seem to be canonizing that she's naturally blonde.

She's probably still not going to be my cup of tea mechanically, but I'm just excited to see her back. I always considered her a cool inclusion to the roster, and more variety among the cast (especially if it means bringing back the classics too) is always welcome in my book.

The gameplay is as good as ever and seems to have potential. Time to wait if she's Top Tier like in SC3 and SC4.

I don't like her new design that much. Sexy factor is down and Setsuka has the perfect mix of sexy and badassery!!!!

He new design is lame. weird anime hair, basic Cas face and a shitty jacket ontop of her outfit. Looks nothing like the actual setsuka

Design wise, she looks okay. Not the biggest fan of the hair but the kimono itself is fine. Gameplay wise she seems to have the some of aPat’s moves from SCV such as his Twister, along some newer moves as well. Her CE honestly feels a little underwhelming to me though.

Also, @Ramusu20 can you please try not to tag everyone when making a thread? It’s really unnecessary and gets annoying real fast.

Design wise, she looks okay. Not the biggest fan of the hair but the kimono itself is fine. Gameplay wise she seems to have the some of aPat’s moves from SCV such as his Twister, along some newer moves as well. Her CE honestly feels a little underwhelming to me though.

Also, @Ramusu20 can you please try not to tag everyone when making a thread? It’s really unnecessary and gets annoying real fast.
I'm really sorry. I knew it I'm annoying. I edited my post :(

I've got nothing really against her new design, but it feels very anime. I think her face looks a bit odd Azwel. I hope the shoes and tabi are separate, but they won't be. The hair feels a bit like Cass in that it looks a bit odd imo. The actual style is real nice though. And I think it looks real cool. I like the haori she has and hope that it can be used with lots of other items. The gloves are pretty neat too.

On the gameplay front, I love the look of it! She looks so enticing, and i'm really looking forward to learning her again. She looks super fun to play!

When high-res screenshots of SC6 Setsuka's face comes out, I'd like to compare them to SC4:
Setsuka.faces.jpg

Characters like SC5 Mitsu's face and SC4 Xianghua's face seem different than their SC6 counter parts... but maybe thats just me

Looking at the design of the break now, I really like the look of what it appears we are getting. The thing I personally am happiest with is the fact that unlike a few characters Setsuka won't spontaneously grow three inches on armor break, and her hairstyle doesn't magically get shorter, which is something I really like. I think her broken hair is very nice looking and I'm looking forward to using it. It's interesting that she has what looks like a voldo costume part as an add on which is amusing. Gloves are nice enough. As per usual, looks like the main part is underwear which kind of sucks but at least it looks compatible with things if you use the "fully" broken design. And thank the gawds that the haori is USA me m/f!!! It looks so nice too!

Overall the parts look useful in a lot of situations.

I will be more careful next time... I would still love to hear what you have to say about her.
Having had a non-exhaustive look at her moveset, I'm intrigued. I don't think she's going to become a major timesink for me (Setsuka has always been a style that I've never quite gelled with), but I do think she's going to be worthy addition to the roster. I will say that she has received more of an overhaul than I was expecting, both in terms of visual design and mechanics. Though, admittedly, I don't know why that should surprise me at this point after the last few legacy character additions!

I personally find the slightly-more-action-girl/slightly-less-traditional mode of dress for the character to be winning design over-all. It's an occasion where you can certainly understand why longterm fans might be a bit caught of guard by it, when so many of the designs in this game have had a high degree of fidelity with early designs. Then again, at least some of this story would presumably start before SCIII, if not the majority or all of it, so some discontinuity is justifiable in those terms alone. Anyway, it is after-all Soulcalibur, and the costume design veering towards fantasy combat gear is pretty typical. And I think in any context, I would be likely to find the manner in which she takes her master's haori to be an endearing little detail. Further, between her SCIV outfit being included and CaS having pretty much a massive arsenal of tools for recreating colour traditional Japanese dress (honestly, I can't think of any look that has more tools that converge on it than that general area), recreating more traditional looks that echo her SCIII and SCIV aesthetics (if not nearly identical outfits) ought to be possible.

I'll preface my thoughts on what we've seen of her gameplay by saying again that she's not traditionally been my go-to gal. But I do think she looks like she's one of those characters who has been substantially reworked, for good or ill--not unlike Amy. I'll leave to more dedicated hands to determine whether her core mechanics like her just frames play out faithfully, or are improved even, and how her three extra gauges effect things. I note however that the parasol certainly mixes things up a little this time around in a more substantial way than ever before, as a kidn slice slice of Princess Peach that has been worked into her moveset (which I use as the most immediately relatable example that I think will serve to identify an element of her movement design that I am sure everyone who has watched the movelist video by now has noticed as well--though another and possible more accurate comparison, insofar as the parasol is concerned, is RWBY's character Neo).

In fact, in general that moveset is a bit of an interesting pastiche of updated legacy moves and new ones entirely. Which of course is not at all surprising for any returning character in this game, but where her moves are new, they tend to be very different from her classic style, creating a bit of an odd juxtaposition that could prove to be brilliant or ham-sifted, for all I could guess at this point. It certainly looks pretty fly in a Soulcalibur kind of way, I will say. And in the most generic terms, I guess I would say I expect like she looks like she is going to handle more fluidly overall. Her newer moves do seem to be the more accessible ones in general, with strings that don't require quite as much demand mechanically. Or so it seems to me from reviewing the movelist: ask me again in a couple of days!

Storywise, I couldn't even begin to speculate about where things are headed, as I don't even remember anything beyond the broadest strokes of her story--if indeed I ever knew them: as memory serves, by SCIII I was beginning to have trouble generating the will to consume all of the tedious lore in the increasingly silly and always pretty uninspired, no real stakes narrative. But I do think it will be interesting to know the exact nature of the relationship with her master, whose death sets off her Roaring Rampage of Revenge': was her affection for him that of an adoring student and protege, or was there even more to it?

Last edited:
For those of us who main'd Setsuka (and maybe even Alpha patroklos) in prior games

Can anyone provide a list of new attack animations she gained in SC6 ? Correct me if i'm wrong, but here we go:

Other than RE, CE, and the clash A/B/K
• A+G
• 2nd hit of 4KA
• 66KK
• 3A+B
• 66A+B

Last edited:
For those of us who main'd Setsuka (and maybe even Alpha patroklos) in prior games

Can anyone provide a list of new attack animations she gained in SC6 ? Correct me if i'm wrong, but here we go:

Other than RE, CE, and the clash A/B/K
• A+G
• 2nd hit of 4KA
• 66KK
• 3A+B
• 66A+B
bK
third A in AAA
third B in BBB
1B+KB
4B+K and all follow-ups
3KB
1A+B
1st and 2nd 6B+K
G+K
6B
third hit SC 22A+BA
66B+KB
8B+KK
BT 2B+K
BT 2A+B
SC 1AAAAA

Last edited:
her 1K has been different in SC3 / SC4 / SC6 as well eh ?

The reason i'm asking is to show the healthy amount of new animations project soul can add.. and how they will affect the liklihood of other possible returning veterans

Last edited:
Back