Setsuka for Soul Calibur 5!

LP

Premium Member
I've been meaning to make this thread for a while now, but here goes!

I have seen these types of threads in many of the other character forums, but I've been too busy to make this one. Either way, the Sets forum needs some loving, so here goes!

1. Please, please, PLEASE make her step better!

2. Though not completely integral to her game, please make it so that your opponent cannot guard impact the second hit of 1B:B, like in Broken Destiny.

3. A+K B SHOULD NOT WHIFF WHILE YOUR OPPONENT IS ON THE GROUND! This move has very limited usage - there's no reason it should miss when used as intended.

4. Random buff - give FC 3B:B the ability to be canceled. =D

Really, I'll probably be updating this with random thoughts as I play more, but this is totally open to discussion and gives something to tide us over until more SC5 goodness.

Honestly, the only thing I want from Setsuka is more umbrella usage. I think that gets ignored a little too much for her sword. (I'll probably eat those words later.)

I want SC III Sets back :( Firm believer that JF should be and OPTION and IMPROVEMENT over basic moves.

But really, she's pretty beast the way she is right now. Just wish she didn't take the LONGEST of my three characters to re-learn. (again :\ )

Never played Broken Destiny so don't know about the 1B:B GI. Assuming it's possible on block after 1B? However, I do agree A+K B should not whiff a downed opponent. Would like 236 to go a little further then it does.

But I think she's pretty solid right now.

I like how Namco made most of the movelists in the game actually useful instead of 5-10 useful attacks and a bunch of filler - I hope they build upon that.

Other than that, your opponent can't GI the second hit of 1B:B in Broken Destiny if they block the first one.

As for 236, I'm fine with it the way it is, but I wouldn't complain if they made it longer.

Speaking of all this has made me remember something else - left and right evasion-type attacks. Though it's not big on the list, I was a fan of Sets' 22/88A in SCIII. Really, though, it's not entirely needed. <3 Sets!!!

Well her Grounded game is by far the biggester Flaw in her game, so if A+KB always hits on rollers she will be over the top imo.

When people have to get up from the floor her basic 1B:B, 1A:A:A Mixup will be even more powerful. Especially when you cant GI the second Hit of 1B:B.

If they change the 1B:B to SCBD style, i think you should be punishable on reaction if you miss the JF. Otherwise its just too good. Safe, i17 and 80 DMG...with buffed step? Way too good.

What is stupid with her current 22A/2362A is that it just stupidly whiffs through opponents. It really should have full tracking. Also a better Kick would be nice, longer ranged 3K maybe :)

And a cool outfit, she really looks retarded in her 2P. Whats up with the hat?

Her 2P outfit was to show she is not actually Japanese, but really an orpahend foreigner. Not saying it looks cool. Her 1P outfit was an improvement IMO. Her 2P outfit was better in SC III but wasn't too keen on that, either.

Well her Grounded game is by far the biggester Flaw in her game, so if A+KB always hits on rollers she will be ove... Whats up with the hat?

I don't think A+KB always hitting grounded would put her over the top; it'd just give her a viable ground game. Though she has 2A+B, there's really no downside to staying on the ground against Sets (if you have to worry about 2A+B, there's probably other things you should be worrying about), except that you get putting in something like a 50/50 with 1A:A:A and 1B:B, but you get the chance to punish her just as hard (if not harder) if you guess right. No only that, but 1A:A:A doesn't hit grounded, so she also has to time it or risk being generic 2a'd out of her initiative. I'm not saying I have a huge problem with that, but, if I'm guessing right on A+KB, it should AT LEAST connect (I'm not saying hit, mind you, but if whiffs on rollers and randomly against people who stay OTG, and then, on top of that, gets me punished).

As for 1B:B, I will concede that it's a powerful attack when used right, but it's also a useless attack if your opponent blocks it (provided they know how to GI it). As for making it punishable, it's already heavily punishable - people just don't punish it. Even then, the amount of -frames it has makes it so they can miss punishment and Sets still can't do much outside of block. Still, like I said, it IS a very powerful attack, so I would hope that Namco finds a medium. I honestly do not believe that heightened execution a deterrence so much as it is simply a wall that, once passed, really doesn't matter.

As for 22A, yeah... It's a really good move for ring positioning, but, with the random whiffing issues, being slow, and a high...yeah.

A nerf I'd like to see, less SCD, it's not something I think she needs to win, and having it doesn't exactly balance her out...

SCD=Soul Crush Damage?

If you mean that, well...I use mainly FC 3B:B, which is GIable on 2nd Hit, 66A+B is slow...6B has no range. Only B+K is pretty good in that case. So if you start blinking its normally your own fault imo. I dont win often due to CFs.....

1-2A+B must be able to be canceled to FC : )

2-Make 236 useful

3-More useful attaks

4-The second hit of 66AB not high

5-Blonde hair
sc3set1.gif

6-Mmm... maybe a
AT.png
useful lol

7-Setsuka must be like in SC 4 or more technical, i love it.

If they change the 1B:B to SCBD style, i think you should be punishable on reaction if you miss the JF. Otherwise its just too good. Safe, i17 and 80 DMG...with buffed step? Way too good.
This. Step to 1B:B is already very strong IMO, why make it non GI-able??

What I would like is for 33B to not push back that far. The rest is peanuts.

I want her like this for SC V:

-Keep her AA i12
-Fix the agB ag:B combo and make this move i20 on normal input and i19 on JF, this move also needs more range, keep the unsafety and increase it a little if you add this changes.
-Add good pushback on block to aB and keep it unsafe, if you do this that move will be usefull, now is useless.
-Make 4A -10 or -11
-Less pushback on block for normal unbrella and more pushback on block for JF umbrella, keep the same unsafety as it has now in both cases.
-Keep WR A high and -2
-Reduce her BB tracking
-Increase the pushback on block of 6B and make this move slower (i18-19), but safer (-4 or -3) and with more range.
-Keep the 1B:B GIable on the second hit, keep the pushback on block and reduce a litle bit the tracking of the second hit.
-Add safety to 4B, is high and -13, keep the pushback and put this move -8/-9 on block.
-FC 3B:B must be -5/-6 on block, keep the pushback, it must only stuns in stun CH and put the window of this stun longer, 13 or 14 frames for input a normal umbrella.
-Keep 6K -14, i14 and stuns on CH.
-Add pushback to 1K
-Keep 4K +0
-Fix the mirror blade lvl 1-3, the aGI never hits and is only +0 if it miss, the lvl 8-9 that leaves you in BT must be able to conect with BT B+K:B.
-Add unsafety to 2A+B and reduce the pushback of this hit on block, an A+B cancelation that leaves you in FC would be nice.
-Add unsafety to B+K, at least -17.
-Add more tracking to 66A and 22A.
-Reduce a little bit the pushback of 33B on block.
-Fix the 22BB, sometimes the first hit ducks when the oponent crouches and is middle.
-44BA and 44KB must be delayable.
-Put longer the 66K aGI window.
-Keep 44B+K i13 (She doesn´t have a better punisher until i17)
-Keep the interactive throws but decreasse the damage in B+G, A+G, 214 B+G and right throw.
-Keep the A+KA -3.
-Put her step a little bit better.
-Put the SC3 run animation.
-Bring her old kimono back.
-Put her black hair, she is spanish and her real name is Dolores (AkA Lola) i want to see her with a flamenca costume like this:
http://tracetincin.deviantart.com/#/d35npg3

Reply after classes, but, from what it seems, you all are crazy! And I still dunno what SCD is! If it IS soul crush damage, you're insane!!!

Yeah, after playing with Hawkeye and Thugish last night, you all are definitely crazy. Damn near everything Sets does is already punishable or GI'able and she's already slow as ever.

Really, if you all think 1B:B if overpowered, you all are CRAZY. Either way, you'll get to play TP with Sets at Cannes, Doc; we'll see if you feel the same way about some of these things after that.

But, if even one thing, she NEEDS an improved step.

P.S. A+KB REALLY needs to be force-block if you if you do it while your opponent is on the ground.

Im not saying 1BB IS overpowered. But if it will be non-giable and still same speed etc it will be super broke. Im pretty sure right now it will be a pain against Amys B+K :)

I agree with Docvizzo, if A+KB hits you in the ground Setsu´s wake-up game will be broken...when the oponent is stand you´ve got A+KA (only -3) and step backturned, that is very powerfull...

I don´t think 1B:B is overpowered, but is a really fast attack, safe, starter, have a lot of pushback, and the second hit tracks as hell, if you add non GIable the attack will be broken... is only my opinion.

Sorry for my very bad english U_u

Honestly, the only thing I want from Setsuka is more umbrella usage. I think that gets ignored a little too much for her sword. (I'll probably eat those words later.)

i feel the same way. compared to 11 moves involving her umbrella rather than her blade in some way in SC3 (not counting hilt thrusts and merging both 44A attacks into one count), she only has 8 of those moves in SC4, when really, it's what gives her a unique flashiness that other characters don't have (others have speed and JFs but only sets has an umbrella).

i would like to see more actual use of her tool, in a crouching stance or something. she may as well be given a mary poppins stomp move. just give me more flashy.

Back