Setsuka Videos

Very good Setsuka and Yoshi and good vids overall. Very dynamic.

I'll comment the Setsuka since we're here for that :) :

Good things : Loved your 1A:A:A usage, B+K wall well used too. Good use of frame traps. Good executions in the combos. Good use o 4A, good use of umbrella.
Bad things : lack of damage optimization which is really important (the same for Hajime Owari) :
- the "best" combos weren't used all the time (as an exemple in vids 2, you get a CH 6K, and you only do 2A+B afterwards).
- lack of punition, too many 3B were unpunished as an exemple.
- lack of throws and 2K > make him duck !

Very good Shenrei, i see the progress from your last vids.

One of things that i would change in your game is your movement, you don’t move very much, i thinking mostly about sidesteping.
But i guess its just your style. With good defense and punishing, this movement is good enough i guess:).

Maxou: I think I told ShenRei during or after those vids were taken that 3B is AA punishable. Are there any better options for Sets for punishing 3B on block? Also, I refuse to duck against Setsuka! So, you might see that coming through in those vids.

Thanks for the compliment. Admittedly, I missed some combos and big punishments that day. I just wasn't as on as I would have liked to be. But, we still had some solid games.

Hell yeah the games were solid !

When Setsuka blocks Yoshimitsu's 3B she gets a free i17/18 move, which means a free 44B+K (easy), BB (really easy) or 33B/1B:B (kinda hard, but easier for 1B:B).

Those matches were epic especially end of match 3 when hajime9k ed shen's 9k lol.

By the way Shen is 9 k like especially good versus yoshi ?cause u stayed spamming that.

Jeez u guys r beasts.

Kudos Maxou and PimpCheese for the compliments! Your critique is always appreciated.

I wasn't as mentally alert as I wanted to be (especially difficult against a dangerously aggressive Yoshi), so I ended up missing the follow ups that I normally do on some key hits, such as CH11A, while forgetting some of the other aspects of my game (66A+B/2B+K/9B setups). I've actually upped my step game quite a bit because of Voldo, but it isn't shown well in those vids- though in one of the vids you'll see me step an iMCF and B+K in return. Rewatching them tho, I saw some instances where I would usually step but didn't, and ended up eating some 4Ks. >.< I also neglected to utilize some of the throw situations that I created, failing to realize this while actually playing.

Punishing FC3K with FC3A+B is way more difficult than I thought.

Definitely good matches though. Damn Hajime and the wall combo that I thought would never end, on the ice stage.

On an off-note, Youtube high quality is cool! And webcam recording does it very well.

Yeah I started spamming 9K when he was low on life cuz I assumed he would duck sooner or later expecting me to 2K him - but he didn't. Fucking Hajime refuses to duck lol. It also works well against iMCF traps.

Yeah punishing Yoshi's FC 3K with FC3A+B is hard, it can be kinda inconsistant at some times besides, it is really unsafe. Just do 33B instead, it should be easier and it is safe if you miss the punitions frames.

I could comment the vids more (could comment the Yoshi too, since I play against a very good Yoshi on a regular basis), but I think the points you should change/use more were all said :
- more step
- moe punitions
- more throws
Be aware of Yoshi step games too, it can be particularly dangerous, I would use more WS A, 3A, 2A, AA just for precautions (Hajime could have stepped some things which could have cost you the match).

WS A is particularly a good move, while high and kinda slow, it is a good anti step tool, and you end up at -2 which means a frame trap umbrella.

kittianinja : 9K is a very good move against Yoshi, it helps getting away from most of his pressure tools (DGF, iMCF, FC 3K/FC 1K, UBs, some random mids that you can jump, throws). Although it should not be used randomly since Yoshi can AA punish it.

I'll try to put some vids of my Setsuka soon (next week normally) if I can get my hands on a recording device.

kittianinja : 9K is a very good move against Yoshi, it helps getting away from most of his pressure tools (DGF, iMCF, FC 3K/FC 1K, UBs, some random mids that you can jump, throws). Although it should not be used randomly since Yoshi can AA punish it.

If 9K was AA punishable with Yoshi, that would....that would make me very sad lol. So I double checked and tested to make sure - and I couldn't do it. Sets can block Yoshi AA every time if 9K is blocked.

9K is -10 and yoshi A is 11i. At least it was this way in 1.01 when i was working on framedata. You cant punish it with yoshi if FD in 1.03 is the same.

That's good to know. It's only really Taki punishable then. Well, and iMCF punishable for 9 damage! Take that, ShenRei!

Watched the vids.
While it isn't that bad, you could have done much better.

Seemed like you didn't know Voldo, seemed like he didn't know Setsu either.

The good things are that :
- you're doing the good combo so there is room for progression now. Good skill.
- Good use of whiff punish.
- random A+K A / A+K B FTW !
- Your opponent didn't punish you so all the better, you made good use of this mistake.

Now for the bad things or the things you can improve : (general and match up advices)
- while you obviously know how to do the A+K B umbrella follow up, why do you choose to ALWAYS do CH 33B umbrella 33B (which isn't garanteed)? CH 33B umbrella shouldn't be used apart for RO properties/wall combo/ring placement when A+K B would RO yourself out.
- 33B bA is the good combo. You get closer with 33B umbrella but not that closer and you need the distance man, especially against Voldo. 33B umbrella does good forward RO but 33B bA does good side RO. In the vids the RO was free (or got you closer to the RO) with bA but you used umbrella and missed it.
- You step a move, you get at the very least a free 1B:B 6K A+K B umbrella combo. B+K 61B 44B+K can be tried too. For more damage. Throws are good man ... but they're not free damage.
- You duck a move, where's the free umbrella? exemple : BS 6A+B (is it the good move? Voldo's autoGI) and you do nothing.
- lack of antistep tools,2A and 11A were used which is good, but where's the 214A abuse, where's the 3A ? Besides they are TC move too.
- You wanna counter something up close? Just use 6K instead of 2A. It wasn't in your game and it should be. Same speed, 50 damage on counter, and Voldo can't really punish it (he needs to be REALLY reactive when doing his 66:B and if he misses that's a free AA. Very good risk/reward. Against Bibulus, it would have been free since he didn't do 66:B when he wanted to punish a move).
- Lack of some good moves : 214B, 4A, 3A. They definitively should be used, especially 3A and 214B (4A is harder since Voldo has good range, especially with his TC moves).
- you block a low from BS and you get a free umbrella.
- random A+K A / A+K B when you could have garanteed them ! Some of them were totally free (you block a 66A from Voldo and he goes into LF and you get a free A+K B). Good to stop him when he is in mantis too.
- More GI could have been done but that's personal advice. Missed a free GI when he was in LF btw.

Copied from the other thread.

Destinizish's Wall Combo vid:

[youtube= Wall Combos]td-e3JB4JNM[/youtube]

Back