Setsuka Videos

Nice videos Cube!!!

I loved the Amy matchup especifically!!! Even if you got hit by the UB...>_<

Keep them coming!!! :sc3set1:

Some Setsuka videos from Koga (September).

I used Setsuka the entire tournament except for losers finals against KDZaster where I decided to make a mid-match switch to Kilik and the same thing in the Grand Finals against Ramon. I did the same thing at Koga (August) except none of those were recorded (I don't think).

As good news to the Setsuka forums u will finally have another Setsuka to watch at tournaments as i'm no longer running Kilik at any tournaments except for majors and if I need to use him in the loser's bracket to survive until I get 100% comfortable with her since Sets is new to me still and GF's for the same reason.

Like I said I ran her the entire tournament and there were some good one's that did not get recorded unfortunately. The main reason for posting this here though is I need critique (even if its harsh) because I am trying to make her a serious second main and not just a second like I did with Hilde.

Something-Unique vs. InsaneKhent (Ustream)
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2192149

Something-Unique vs. KDZaster (Ustream)
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2192613

Something-Unique vs. Kikaleek (Ustream)
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2192697

Something-Unique vs. KDZaster

Something-Unique vs. Ramon

Besides the above I experienced some issues during this tournament because of constant switching on different Tv's such as SD and HD and it had a major impact on me the first time in one of my tournament matches where I couldn't do anything. Will I experience this all the time and how do I get over it?

Also I notice that Setsuka has character specific whiffing problems against Sophitia as u will see some during the me vs. Ramon match. Has anyone else picked up on this and are there any other characters this happens to. Last but not least what moves are preferred against Astaroth since I hear she is good against him?

Hopefully I have some more vids at the upcoming Bone this week if I go as the only way for me to get better is to risk it in tournaments. Thanks and my future posts in this topic won't be as long lol as its just the background on what i'm looking for!

As I said in the tournament thread, no wonder you think Setsuka is not top 5. I was kinda disapointed for someone who took Setsuka and in one week got a finished opinion on how weak and how strong she was (lol).

Okay, here's some random tips :
- against Astaroth : PLEASE ATTACK AFTER A BLOCKED BULLRUSH. 214B and B+K takes care of ALL he can do after a blocked bullrush. He'll learn not to attack afterwards.
- 214A is a VERY good move. Antistep and frame trap at -2. Couldn't see it in your matches.
- More 214B (especially against Sophi and Astaroth).
- 214(delay)~3B:B is a very underated move. It has evasive properties (backdash and TC) and the second hit tracks, and it's very good against some characters. You should have used it more IMO (Sophitia).
- After A+G the 11B tech traps is a bad solution for character who are "immune" to the A+G throw. A+G dash throw is a better solution (the throw will be a side throw for more damage). Of course they can duck but ... B+K and it's over they won't tech anymore.
- learn to punish !!!
- when you step a move, for the sake of god do something !!! Exemple : vs KDZ 0:47 you step bullrush, you have a free ring out (1B:B, 33B or 214~3B:B, ...) and you do nothing. And you lose the round.
- make them learn to duck when you sidestep close to them : don't forget about Setsuka's exellent sidethrows !
- Stop using so much random 44B+K. The move is good but random + unsafe. Hopefully Ramon didn't know itwas unsafe but it's a free 236B punition.
- Don't forget about your "ranged" kicks : 3K and 214K are very good moves.
- AA against Astaroth? Seriously? Apart in specifics situation (blocked 6K, 6K on hit, after 214A or other frame traps moves) avoid it. If you want to antistep him use 214A, 3A or 2A. A blocked 214A takes you away from the throw distance too. mid-max range 3A also does that.

I expect more vids of you ! Congrats on being 2nd btw.

You know at first I thought u was trying to be ignorant in the Tournament Aftermath thread but I guess I was wrong. The internet can make u think that way sometimes.

Anyway thanks for the tips and I still think Sets is not top 5 and i'm not the only top competitor who thinks so. While I may not be utilizing her to her fullest yet obviously but its not difficult to understand what she has in comparison to the top and how she can apply it. Me as a Setsuka user is just not comfortable enough with her yet to apply what I know she can 100% yet.

There was no offense intended in my post. Sorry if you thought so (ok I was a little harsh. I had a bad day).
Btw, some other tips :
- 2A+B is a very good low against Astaroth and 1A:A is very very dangerous against Sophitia (236236B 236236B garanteed if 1A is not close range).
- A+K A is very good move against Seung Mina (A+K B too but it's not as good as it is against Kilik).
- 2B+K after 22A+B,A is a very good option because if they roll they get hit, if they guard you're at a very low disadvantage (-3) and they are in FC.

Oh btw vids of me at the recent gnouz tournament :
Maxou vs Belial :

Maxou vs Scud :

Even if I got destroyed against Belial, I was kinda satisfied of the tournament.
I know I sucked HARD against Belial, don't worry, everything you could say to me, I am saying it to myselft 10000 TIMES MORE. I expect him at cannes to play better and takes my revenge :)
Kinda happy against Scud (FR Ivy n°2, and he won against Malek in a Ivy mirror), although I made some mistakes (my Ivy versus in my area plays like Kero ... and it changes so MUCH when you get an Ivy like Malek or Scud who plays the character 100% with other stances other than SW...).

Alas the vids were I played better weren't recorded (I'd like so much to get my vid vs Kayane lol).

So I have more time to respond in depth:

1. I will incorporate more 214~B, 214~A and B+K in my game as it does sound like a wise decision.
2. The reason why I used 11B as a tech trap decision against Astaroth in that video after A+G was because of him specifically and the situation. It was based on the assumption that he knew which way to tech with Astaroth to eliminate that throw which is a right tech. However he went left and as u can see I never tried it again. A 50/50 throw mixup into another 50/50 throw mixup is not a valid solution imo.
3. I dislike 214~3B:B in this game. It's beautiful in SC:BD but in SC4 I don't think its worth it. Preference decision as getting the CH on the second hit only is not practical and there is no major damage that comes from it otherwise. Even considering the tc-frames etc. Not to mention that it is easy to react to compared to everything in her movelist.
4. As far as punishment goes I know hot to with Setsuka but since i'm not 100% comfortable with her yet I still end up having the Kilik mindset in terms of punishment which is where the hesitation comes from.
5. Not punishing Astaroth after that stepped bullrush has to do with #4 and the fact that I didn't expect that to happen. The reason is because Kilik cannot step bullrush and I was suprised that she even stepped it nothing more nothing less.
6. 44B+K is a solid tool imo and yes I do know its unsafe. So does Ramon but just like u believe 214~3B:B is underrated I think 44B+K is underrated. i14-Frame high and safe at the proper distance (which is at home with Kilik behavior). It's a move that I find works for me very well and I doubt anyone will actually be able to punish it including Ramon as it involves the Kilik spacing mindset.
7. Your right anything high in general against Astaroth is stupid. I occasionally forget that from time to time even when I play Kilik and it most cases I get rung out for it. I have to clean that up.
8. 2A+B is good but it's a seeable low. Are u referring to the fact that he can't punish or something? I use 2A+B based on my opponents reflexes. I guess its wise to feel the opponent out with this before I even bother with 1A:A:A as it does a little more damage and doesn't involve the same in close range. In general though its a seeable low.

So all in all I will take the advice on 214~A, 214~B. I will also use more B+K in regards to some other advice that I received in a PM. 44B+K is solid imo and as such I will keep it until it fails me for the reasons I posted above. I will measure my opponents reflexes with 2A+B before I even bother with 1A:A:A. Sounds like some good additions. I think one of the next advances I want to include is her wavedashing capabilities but its gonna take time because those repeated motions are difficult on pad.

Finally, the small tutorial is finished:

It´s just a small help and not flashy combo video with uber-quality since our options were limited.

I hope that you´ll enjoy it!^^

NY Casuals: http://www.youtube.com/user/InsaneKhent

Something-Unique (Setsuka) vs. Nuez (Lizardman)

Part 1:Part 2:
Something-Unique (Rock-Setsuka) vs. ShadowFox (Cervantes)
Something-Unique (Setsuka) vs. Dreamkiller (Amy) (Very Competitive)
Part 1:Part 2:Part 3:
Something-Unique (Setsuka) vs. Dreamkiller (Taki)

Part 1:Part 2:Part 3:
Something-Unique (Rock-Setsuka) vs. Serge (Zasalamel-Xianghua)

Something-Unique (Rock-Setsuka) vs. InsaneKhent (Seong Mi-na)

Part 1:Part 2:Part 3: (Setsuka is in this video)

Comment and Critique as this is a Setsuka in training!

Something-Unique, how do you feel about Setsuka vs Amy? I watched that one with great interest, as that match is a big question mark for me.

Still, I can offer a couple of tips. You should be GI-ing Amy's 66A on reaction. Way easier than Hilde charges. Also, punish 236BBBBBBB and 4A with 44B+K. Other than that, yeah, I don't know what to do here either.

I will edit this post later to give you input on how I feel about the matchup and thanks for the tips. I have a major test today so i'm stuck studying for it at the moment so I will edit this later.

S-U - Don't like criticising without actually having something of my own to be criticised, but still...

Honestly, I just watched the ones vs. Taki and Amy because those are two matches I feel like Sets has an easy time with (and, even still, I can't remember too much from the Taki vid).

Either way, generally, it just seems like you need to become way more comfortable with Sets, especially spacing and punishing (and, overall, there was a lot you could've easily GI'd). The biggest thing, though, was the spacing! I saw you flat out running to have close-range battles with Amy and I'm not too sure why; Sets has one of the best ranged games in SC to me (if simply because her ability to punish from ranges most other characters can't). Getting deeper into it, 66A and 33B (also, 66K is a personal favorite of mine, but I play a more 'tempo' based Sets, so it usually gets off) are amazing are further ranges (ESPECIALLY against Amy and Taki). I'm not saying you should be spamming them but there's no reason to not let either of those characters ATTEMPT to close in on you.

Going further in-depth (and changing paragraphs just because I like to sometimes), most of Sets bread and butter moves (and she has a lot of them) have a good amount of pushback to them, to include 33B and 66A. Because of the pushback, those two respective moves alone kill a lot of Amy's options along with just stepping and mindgames; they both push her out of her effective mixup range. That coupled with good stepping and backstepping can force you into games where you have Amy feeling like she's on the ropes.

And, though it may not be necessary for you because you should honestly play a character the way that character comes naturally to you (to me), you should honestly learn to incorporate both Sets wavedashes into your games. Sets retreating wavedash, coupled with her pushback, can create a lot of forced whiff+punish situations. And her advancing wavedash can force your opponent to situations where they either feel forced to attack (and we know how much Sets loves CHs) or freeze up and get forced into mindgames/mixups.

Other than that, I agree with the guy who said you should use more FC3B:B. I understand the fear of being GI'd (especially against Amy, Sophie, and Kilik), but you can mitigate that through mindgames. I'm telling you that the range and tracking on the move are just too good. And you can condition some players to either make FC3b safe on block or make some allow the second b to hit after the first is block. Even then, against most of the cast, if both hits are blocked, the pushback severely lowers their ability to effectively retaliate and can throw the initiative in your favor.

Other than, I can't comment on the Taki match because I can't remember, but 4A is golden against her. And, as for Amy, something I noticed about characters like her and Voldo, with players who play to play up close and agressive, you can throw out A+K B as a panic button because it can kill most TC attacks in the game and gain Sets the initiative again (and we know how much those two love their TC attacks).

Overall, I think the biggest thing you need to improve on is comfortability with the character - just knowing when to be more passive and when to be more aggressive. Sets doesn't have too many gimmicks but her ranged game is unrivaled in my honest opinion. And that coupled with her amazing punishing games can easily make your opponents feel like they're playing a mini-Hilde (one fuck up leading a good amount of health lost naturally makes most players play more carefully).

Honestly, not sure what type of advice you're looking for, but Sophie being my main made Sets relatively easy for me. Honestly, though I don't feel like citing the differences, Sets honestly feels like a more advanced version of Sophie and the things you can learn towards when and how to punish, spacing, and just upping your GI game (which is a terrifying thing for anyone post-GI against either of the characters) are invaluable.

Hope I helped out in some way! Other than that, sorry if I made any typos; it's 1:07a.m. out here and freezing!

S-U :

Better than last time !

Okay here's some random tips :
- I know you dislike 214~3B:B but it's a staple move against Taki and Amy IMO. The moves have very good backdash in its properties and it's TC (exemple : Cassandra BB on hit, if you do 214~3B:B afterwards, you'll avoid her BB if she does it a second time)... and it's TC, safe, pushes back, gives you wall combos and RO, and KD.
- 11A is a staple move against Amy.
- 44B+K is the way to go if you want to punish -16 moves, but PLEASE don't forget about 1B:B if the moves is -17 or more.
- Speaking of 1B:B, 1B:B 1B:B is combo and offers you a free stun making it a very good 1AAA/B+K free mix up. Or some other things... :)
- You don't attack that much, it's been a while since I saw that much (against Amy, ok it's understandable but come on ... TAKI?) red flashing on the CG jauge !

I have other tips but i'll give them next time ! Good vids, keep em coming !

Linkrkc:

Already discussed with you on Javachat. 44B+K and GI'ing 66A noted and thanks!

Lost Providence:

Yeah i'm getting more comfortable with her over time. In due time I will be fine. The reason that I press Amy is testing to see the advantages/disadvantages of playing Setsuka aggressive or as a turtle. Besides that there is more to it than that. This game favors aggression believe it or not and characters like Amy/Astaroth can be humbled by taking momentum away from them by being aggressive yourself. Trust me it works. Besides that 66A is a high. Using a lot of highs against Amy is not smart imo as all her good tools crush highs which is why 4A isn't really apparent against her in those vids either.

I'm currently incorporating Setsuka's wavedashing into my game but since I play Pad its hard to master that repetitive motion. I'm thinking I might execute that notation on the analog that's on the PS3 pad.

33B is good but its also as bad as Amy's. Both their 33B's have the same advantages/same faults. Both can be stepped and punished and both are safe. Amy's 33B 5?-Damage into oki NH vs. Setsuka 50-Damage no oki NH/69-Damage CH (its a toss up but I think the NH on Amy's as well as the following oki makes hers better) and no one can keep Amy out no matter how hard you try but I see your point.

vs Yoshi

vs Voldo

I want more!

you seem to have her down much better then the last videos i saw you useing her

Thanks she is right on schedule for being where I want her to be in terms of a serious character. Look out for Cervantes as I'm picking him up as well. I find him and Setsuka are essentially one in the same with Setsuka having a slight edge.

Maxou:

These three moves I am not fond..... 214~3B:B, 1B:B, and 11A. The reason is because in terms of high level and practicality none of those should work. 11A is a seeable unsafe low. 214~3B:B is unsafe if u don't finish it and if u do its GI-able and can be stepped (the second hit). The same rules apply to 1B:B except that while the second B can be GI'ed it cannot be stepped.

I use 1B:B because none of my opponents have the reflexes yet to GI in between but its more than practical to do so. People like Kura and Chang FD as well as myself do this but I don't have a Sets to fight to do this against. 1B:B is semi acceptable in the open to me though because of Setsuka's ability to make people duck but overall its only value is through punish and post GI imo.

Excellent advice on the 44B+K!

1B:B, 1B:B, guarantees 214~3a:B or 214~3aB into 33B in SC4 so no real need to mixup as the damage is around 73+. I haven't mastered that combo yet though because the buffering after the first 1B:B hampers it for me at the moment but thanks for the advice.

The SG thing is actually funny though because its not a character specific issue (maybe a little in this case since I had no idea what to do with Sets against Taki when I thrash her with Kilik and Hilde). I say this because i'm a turtle at my core and everyone I play places me in the red because I don't get frightened by the SG. So it happens to me alot but most of the time people never actually SC me as I start GI'ing pretty accurately more than I would without a red bar. In some extreme strategic rare cases I even give up the round for a replenished bar in another round but that's rare. So that's a general issue.

General Comment:

Thanks for the general advice and I will be running Setsuka in Koga's and Bone's. So look out for some more videos outside of some more casual videos from NY that will be coming up soon.

S-U :

- I know you don't like those moves... but ... trust me, they work (at high level).

11A is a staple move against Amy (I used it regularly against Belial's Amy and it worked very good if you want an exemple). She can't punish it if used correctly btw. Risk << reward. It is the key word with Setsuka...

As for 214~3B:B, yes the second can be GId and the first is unsafe but who cares? If you see someone GI you the second hit, you stop doing it. Against Amy the move is especially good. But it's ok if you don't believe me. I'll only say one thing : just like you were allowing 66A to hit you without GIing it, you'll encounter a lot LOT more people allowing 214~3B:B to hit them (even people playing against Setsuka regularly... why? Because do 214~3B ... and then what? They won't attack... not if you dealt a good pressure before... believe it or not AND setsuka is rather unknown). And GIing / stepping it is NOT the safer option whatever you might say.

1B:B ... well if you don't use 1B:B ok... your choice.

- 1B:B 1B:B is 55 dmg combo and lead to a good stun. Okay umbrella is garanteed but ... is it the best solution? No. If you screw up they destun and you get punished AND it only add +5/7 damage to the regular combo. But now if you look to :

1B:B 1B:B 1A:A:A leads to around half bar damage (if you opponent destun).
For those who expects it 1B:B 1B:B B+K 61B 44B+K leads to 141 damage.

If you do like me and do 236~4A+B:G after the stun in order to disturb them before you 1AAA / B+K, you can even use 236~4A+B (without cancel) : they'll focus on 1A:A:A and B+K and take the UB for free half life damage.

When they took it once (or didn't... it doesn't matter), 236~4A+B~G (late cancel) into 1B:B is nearly garanteed.

You should see it that way : you lose around 15 damage, and you get the opportinity to deal 50+ damage.

Well, give it a try. I thought it was a bad idea at the beggining but now I just love it.

- don't forget about 214B (good move against Taki), you didn't use it that much when you could, it was too bad, it could have helped you more.

- 6AA isn't a bad idea against some character like taki or amy... it has a VERY deceiptive range.

Well apart from that, and some lack of character knowledge (well more versus knowledge) those were enjoyable vids, keep em coming !

In the post above I mentioned that I use 1B:B because my opponents currently don't have the reflexes to GI it at the moment so I do use it and the same rule applies to FC 3B:B but in general those moves are not an advantage imo because they place you in a position u don't want to be in.

I notice that u seem to prefer constant mixups over guaranteed things. It might be a preference thing but going for guaranteed damage is more important to me. If I land 1B:B, 1B:B (55-Damage) I'm going to go for the guaranteed 20 Extra Damage with umbrella and the umbrella has a 2-Frame window so if you get the combo down you shouldn't be messing it up unlike her JF and Perfect Buffer combos. Placing myself in another 50/50 mixup after something guaranteed to go for 2 unsafe options if blocked is not valid imo.

Regardless thanks for the input.

General Observation
:

Looking at those videos I realize that my GI'ing skills with Setsuka in particular are not up to my standards like Kilik and even Rock from his videos as well. For some reason I don't be thinking about it.

So I'm gonna incorporate wavedashing the best I can if I can pull it off on pad and start going for level 6 A+B at the very least.

We held a little tournament in my area, and I won, here's the Setsuka vids :

1/2 final winner : Malek(Ivy) vs Maxou

1/4 final loser : Maxou vs Bellus (Voldo)

1/2 final loser : Maxou vs Thiry (Yoshimitsu) > the match start at 2''00

Loser final : Maxou vs Malek (Ivy)

GF : Maxou vs EggMaster (Cassandra)
part 1 :
part 2 :

Comments and critics welcomed !

"random" umbrella ftw ! :D

Back