Should we go back to FT2 for SCVI tournaments?

Should we go back to FT2 for SCVI tournaments?

• Yes

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters

Harry

[10] Knight
I want to know what the think community thinks we should do in regards to the rules about length of tournament sets. Before SCV and for the first few months of SCV's release, sets were FT2. The high damage output, and the fact that MLG preferred to run things on FT3, made the community want to switch to FT3. And when SCIIHD came out, we kept that rule for SCII because we had gotten used to it, and the high damage nature of SCII justified as well. Now we have SCVI coming out which is a new game, and from what we've seen SCVI is a rather low damage game. So, with all that in mind, do you guys think we should switch back to FT2 for SCVI? I feel like that would be the best choice until the game has a few months to develop, and the reality is TO's will probably force us to run it at FT2, considering how big tournaments are getting.

Last edited:
I kind of like how T7 has been doing it, FT2 except for winners finals, losers finals, and grand finals.

Maybe something similar, FT2 until top 8. Shorter matches is worse from a competitors stand point, but it works better for stream viewers, and a healthy fan base that enjoys watching SC tournaments will help the games longevity a lot.

Let’s look at this from a new perspective:

At SF:Ring Out, did you think the matches between the players went on too long?

I think with how the damage looks (right now from demo builds) we should do the FT2 until whatever flavor of finals comes.

3/5 rounds
2/3 games

From a perspective as a viewer....

Hype matches can be FT3

Dry boring sets and be FT2

From a perspective as a competitor

Either is fine with me, whatever the TO decides....

As far as the viewer is concerned, they wouldn't care because it doesn't affect their viewing experience. SFV is still among the most viewed Fighting games on a consistent basis, and they do FT2 sets until Top 8 at the big majors. They only care about hype.

FT2 for normal matches (3/5 rounds)
FT3 for finals (Winners/Losers/Grand also 3/5 rounds)

That’s what I think makes sense.

The SF: Ring Out games themselves seemed long enough to warrant going back to FT2 for most situations. Damage looks like it’ll take more than just two launchers and you’re done.

For pools. I'm sure general winners, losers, and grand finals are FT3 rules would still apply.

We know almost none of the optimal lethal hit combos, not to mention Soul Charge damage is massive. It's way too early to call whether damage is low or high

It's too early to call, but I predict this will be a defensive game outside of soul charge from what I've seen so far, so that means longer rounds and longer sets. So, I say start with FT2 until semifinals or top 8 depending on tournament size, where it'd be FT3.

It depends on how fast the game is. V's damage was pretty insane and matches ended pretty quickly, so most of our tournaments were fine time wise for FT3. If VI runs slower then FT2 is fine.

Back