Siegfried Videos

There was a couple really bad losses I had in my rounds of playing last night. One was to this person playing Natsu. Good Natsu players I can't seem to get a lot done with. It seems Vertical strikes are more effective against her than horizontal however they seem to leave me open for punishment a lot more if they wiff or are blocked.

I'm sure part of it is that I am not familiar with Natsu's combos or how she plays so beyond learning that can anyone give me some critiques. Also my play style of Seigfried seems very different than many other peoples I've seen especially good people am I just not using him how hes "supposed" to be used? Or is the way I play him viable just different?

Thank you in Advance.

Going to stance and taking a free SCH B from that would net even more damage.
Well I'll be damned. Coupled with the new SCH B tech trap stuff, this could be very painful for Pyrrha. Now if only her AA and BB weren't so damn good.

I didn't see any responses to the video I posted above. I guess it just got overlooked. So I made this video that's a little more specific on the characters that give me the greatest amount of difficulty when fighting. Unfortunately they seem to be 2 of the most popular. So any insight as to what I am doing wrong or some helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. Also I'll ask the question about my play style again, because I see a lot of Seig players and they don't seem to use him the way I do. They seem to be way more defensive and more counter fighting. Where as I seem to be more aggressive. Am I wrong in this view? Am I using Seig in a way that is less than optimal? Or is the way I play him fine just different than what I have seen so far?

Thanks guys!

Pretty much I think your problem is you don't really block much. If you're ever not doing anything - anything at all, you should be blocking. If you step, you should be stepping for a reason, like you want to side-walk a vertical. If you throw out a certain move, it should be for a reason.

Moves like 66B (what you started the first match with) should not be used lightly. It's a move designed with an auto-side step, so if you feel a vertical move is coming, or you want a long range move that can punish said move on whiff, you can throw that out. Moves like 66B, though, are not safe at certain ranges. If you're close up and a person blocks it, they can punish you for a lot of damage.

Try to use what are considered "poke" moves in order to wear away at your opponent's life bar, while still maintaining good space control and remaining safe from harm. Moves like B6, iaGA, 2A, 1K, 66K if you want a good interrupt, or 3{B} from range 2 (meaning about 2 character lengths away). If you use 3{B} any closer than that, you're going to be at severe disadvantage, and if you do not attack immediately, people will have an opportunity to punish you for free.

I saw you doing a lot of 3{B} Siegfried Chief Hold B. This can be good pressure once you've established that you know their options after a 3{B} SCH, but you haven't yet, so be careful. If they try to interrupt you, SCH K will interrupt them. If they try to step, SCH A will catch them. If they guard in anticipation of K, SCH B will leave you at +4, and severely wear at their Guard Meter. This is desirable, but again you must establish dominance before you go for things like this.

I liked your use of 22_88A. This move is amazing. It TC's, or Tech Crouches all highs. So if you think they're going to go for an AA, or any high horizontal move, just do it. It's completely safe at all ranges, it Rings Out, Wall Splats - it's one of his best moves I feel.

Basically you just have to play a little safer, block more, and learn how to punish the characters you're having difficulty with for throwing out unsafe moves. You can learn this by going into Training mode, and going into the Check Your Skill portion. This will show you a vast array of the opponent's mainly used moves, and give you an opportunity to figure out how to punish them effectively. If it's a big power move, it's probably punishable. If it's a slow 2 or 3-hit move, the last hit can probably be Just Guarded easily. Use your logic about the game engine, and find ways to get around the characters you're having trouble with. This will build your confidence level, and increase your game sense by large margins. Good luck!

Thank you, I realize I play a lot closer a lot of times then I should. I do seem to have problems re opening the distance once its closed. I saw a thread about the same thing but knowing the options to re open distance and applying them when needed are very different.

66B I don't really have a whole lot of confidence in at the moment just because I don't really have a feel for when vertical attacks are coming and horizontal attacks are coming. However now that I am thinking about it, it seems to be a move I should used against Mitsurugi's more. I will definitely try to apply it more in the CORRECT situations. lol

On blocking. I used to block a lot more, but I kept getting grabbed and thrown because they knew my go to was block, I tried doing the tap A fast while holding G but it only seems to work 50% of the time. Any advice on that front?

I'll make sure to record my next round of matches and use the tips you have given. And see how I fair and how well I utilize the advice. Thank you again you all your help thus far.

or 3{B} from range 2 (meaning about 2 character lengths away). If you use 3{B} any closer than that, you're going to be at severe disadvantage, and if you do not attack immediately, people will have an opportunity to punish you for free.
i agree with what you said, but naw, not with 3B. even at close range, you're 0 on block, and not exactly in terrible position since both you and your opponent are subjugated to the same mixup (excluding natsu who can AA). while at longer ranges you're just looking to score a tip hit or some block pressure, you're not looking to follow the stance with anything unless your opponent is reckless enough to sacrafice frames to dash in when they could simply just backstep the entire mixup. infact the only times i think 3B is bad on block for siegfried are:

1) natsu close range (pat seems to have this advantage here too, though i havent thouroghly tested it)
2) when most characters have 1 bar of meter
3) when playing a long range character who can backstep you and then whiff punish your options for free (such as asta, or even another sieg player)

anyways, Madjecks, on top of what nightblade said, its also about training your reactions - getting used to seeing certain moves, and then gaining a better mastery over movement so that you can deal with those situations better. im gonna touch on what nightblade said above in that you shouldnt step without a purpose, well hes right. but keeping this in mind, this purpose can be for just about anything, whether stepping forward and back to try to bait a whiff punish, stepping to avoid a move, or simply 8wayrunning back and forth at a safe distance to try to bait your opponent into action. ironically also, while you do need to play safer and do need to utilize guard more often, at the same time, keep in mind that the best way to avoid taking damage is simply to not get hit. turtle too much and you'll suffer guard break. move too much and you'll lose half ur health to step kills. basically its about learning the right and wrong situations to step, and how to use it. in itself, it also can provide a good source of free damage, providing you can punish your opponents whiffs in time. other than that its just about predicting or reacting to(depending on the situation) what your opponent will do next, and trying to find a way that you can capitalize on it.

as for grapple breaking, all i can really tell you is mash faster, and more constantly. that, and if you can train your reactions, you could try twitch ducking, but you've gotta be careful with that since while the benifits are great, you are technically subjugating yourself to mixup too. then again, if ya play siggy, you get used to taking risks to score big hits ^-^

also if you find yourself really struggling to contain your opponents step, you can always fall back on 6A. it doesnt always have to be something fancy like iagA or w/e, it just needs to get the job done.

anyways, the issue u had with the guard crush of that CE, was because the rest of the CE completely whiffed (a known issue for some of siegs moves) and you were still in recovery animation while your opponent's guard was crushed, hence the amount of time you actually had available to attack next was significantly reduced. ideally in that situation, the first hit of sieg's CE would have guard crushed her, and the rest of the move would have connected.

anyways, just to point out some more specifics on movement like i was saying, if you practice, you can probably step mitsurugi's 9A+B on reaction(the jumping sword slash) and the best way to deal with natsu's unblockable bombs is to jump over them using 9Gm or if ur in an oki situation, just to eat them grounded, as standing up will give her a combo. other than that its just about agian, training your reactions and finding other things that you know you can see and learning to react accordingly. there may however be some moves that are too fast for you to react to, but that doesnt stop you from learning how to read your opponent to predict that those moves are coming.

i know what im saying is easier said than done, but alot of these things also just come with time and alot of hard practice. No Pain No Gain right? as well, there's no shame in losing so long as you make the most of it ie) always try your best, never give up, and try to learn from the match. i cant even count the amount of times i lost before i was considered to even be "decent" for a player. so just hang tight, you'll improve. trust me on it ;)

What Slayer said in general, but gotta say, i dont think 3(B) is worse vs anyone other than Cervantes at ANY range. His aB is i11 so it beats the knee up close and further away the 2nd hit is still faster than SCH A/B, so yeah :P

What Slayer said in general, but gotta say, i dont think 3(B) is worse vs anyone other than Cervantes at ANY range. His aB is i11 so it beats the knee up close and further away the 2nd hit is still faster than SCH A/B, so yeah :P
eh well natsu does get a free AA off it, and the more range you got, depending on range, the easier it can be to try to step out of range and get a little whiff punish for your efforts, or at the very least a forced block. other than that, its a fairly solid move in this game, especially with how good SCH is now.

Has anyone tested the range of it? Like her AA for example, if you do 3(B) at the right range and do nothing after (i.e. resist the urge to do SCH K) the AA (or at least the first A) will whiff allowing you to block... I wonder if you can do something similar with A:6.

Edit: A friend just confirmed for me that if you do nothing post 3(B) at the right range A:6 will whiff as well... Happy days :-)... But someone may want to verify on their own and repost here as well. If this proves to be true it means the "mix-up" is still there, just different for Natsu.

- I.C.E.

Hello folks, some materials from Finnish SCV championship tournament. I'm playing Sieg and I can admit I played awfully. It was quite intense and I haven't been in any tourneys for many years. Ralphie and Mitsu were also unfamiliar to me. But be free to comment and criticize

Has anyone tested the range of it? Like her AA for example, if you do 3(B) at the right range and do nothing after (i.e. resist the urge to do SCH K) the AA (or at least the first A) will whiff allowing you to block... I wonder if you can do something similar with A:6.

Edit: A friend just confirmed for me that if you do nothing post 3(B) at the right range A:6 will whiff as well... Happy days :-)... But someone may want to verify on their own and repost here as well. If this proves to be true it means the "mix-up" is still there, just different for Natsu.

- I.C.E.

Why would you let it whiff and then block? Let it whiff and SCH B~CE her face for close to 50% life. Teach dat bitch some respect.

Back