Smash You To Pieces: The Throw Thread

GEMINI_KNIGHT

[09] Warrior
Command Throw Input Study.

This is to explain the nature of the directional inputs for the command throws, and how to simplify the commands. The following has been tested with a Sixaxis controller, a Dualshock 3 controller, and a SCIV Hori arcade Controller.

1. Dissecting the Inputs.

To execute the command throws, you do not have to input 63214. In actuality, you only need to input three directions:

The first direction must be in the forward direction: 6
The second direction must be in the down direction: 3, 2 or 1
The third direction before inputting the button commands must be in the backwards direction: 1 or 4

Note that in the backwards direction you can input either 1 or 4 to complete the directional input. You can only use the 1 direction for either the second or the third direction. You cannot use the 1 direction for both the second and the third directions at the same time.

Given this information, you can input the command throws with the following:

6321A_B+G
634A_B+G

2. Partitioning the Inputs

If you are familiar with how Ivy can partition, or ”space out,” her directional inputs for her command throws, then you will quickly see that Astaroth can do the same thing to an extent. Once you input 6 (whether you tap, double tap or hold to run) you automatically start, or “charge” the first direction. From there, you can tap or hold any direction for a brief moment (I do not know how many frames) and then continue to input the second and third directions. In addition, you can hold the 1 or 4 direction for a brief moment before inputting the button commands in a manner that Astaroth is walking backwards before throwing.

Given this information, you can input the command throws with the following:

N = any direction, to include the 5 (neutral) position

6~N~321A_B+G
6~N~214A_B+G
6~N~21A_B+G
6~N~14A_B+G

3. Just Frame Versions Explained

In order for the Just Frame Command throws to activate, three conditions must be met:

1) You must input all three directions in one quick motion. The Just Frame will not work if you try to partition the inputs.
2) You must use the 4 input as the third direction, for the Just Frame will not work when using the 1 input as the third direction.
3) You must input both the third direction and the button inputs at the same time.

Remember, once you input the 6, you start the first direction. You can hold the 6 to “charge”, and as long as the three conditions are met, the command throw will activate.
The simplest way to execute the Just Frame version is:

634:A_B+G

Due to the nature of your left hand with opposable thumb, it will feel easier to execute the Just Frame versions while on the 1P side (Asta facing right). If you execute it in a way that you are "pulling" the direction as fast as you can while inputting the button commands at the same time, you will have a higher success rate of activating the Just Frame versions.

On the 2P side (Asta facing left), however, you will have to "push" the execution, or "make the letter U," to have a higher success rate of activation the Just Frame versions. What helps me is that I try to input the command as the following:

6347:A_B+G

For some reason, it works for me better on the 2P side.

If you are having problems executing the Just Frame versions, just remember that they only add five extra points of damage. Yes, I know that more damage helps in the long run, but think of it like this:

Four consecutive non JF A command throws = End of Round.
Four consecutive non JF B command throws into either 22_88B or 28B+G = End of Round.

4. Quick Breakdown of 28B+G
%0

Enemy moves that can be caught by 28B+G

This topic is for listing enemy moves/transitions/stances that can be caught by 28B+G. I will constantly edit this first post as new info comes in and things are suggested, proven or disputed. It compiles data from the Astaroth sections of caliburforum.com and 8wayrun.com.

AMY
66ba
Block the first hit then do it slow so you duck the 2nd hit. easy on whiff. - Donated by ojste

33b
Has to be predicted. you need to side step the hit and do it.. just make use of the 2 motion on the throw. Timing is pretty tight. - Donated by ojste

66a
Has to be predicted. - Donated by ojste

6a+b, a
Do it during 6a+b, should be able to do it on reaction. - Donated by ojste

A+k, k
Sidestep during a+k, then do it. - Donated by ojste

CASSANDRA
4bA - Donated by harlekein

8B+K - Donated by mikosu

CERVANTES
4B+K - Donated by harlekein

iGDR - Donated by ORO

Teleport
Has to be predicted, looks funny though - Donated by ojste

4b+k
Hard timing and has to be predicted. also better punishment out there for people who chain it. - Donated by ojste

8a+b
On whiff - Donated by ojste

KILIK
Kiliks from the ground rising unblockable ( and its version off of one of his counters ) can also be caught. - Donated by BeefyLoveLord

LIZARDMAN
8[B+K] - Donated by jedibob

WRkkk
Step LEFT (8 on 1p side) after blocking the first hit and do 28B+G. - Donated by ojste

crwl, b
You need to do this really early and predict. - Donated by ojste

8b+k_[b+k]
Has to be predicted if not charged, can do on reaction if charged. - Donated by ojste and mikosu

SOPHITIA
4A A A - Block the first A, Step to either side. ( timing can be tight, gotta get around the low A, but not step so far that she gets away from you. ) delay very very shortly ( sometimes he can get caught on the way up without it. Its hard to explain but in practice the timing isn't too difficult. ) and jump. You'll rise to your apex, then snag her. Looks a little silly, but the laughs are to die for. - Donated by Beefylovelord

11A,[A] - Donated by jedibob

2b8bak
on reaction - Donated by ojste

8a+k series
You can grab any follow up except for k - Donated by ojste

11aa_[a]
Uncharged has to be predicted and first hit has to whiff (lol), charged can done on reaction even if you are hit by the first a - Donated by ojste

8b+k_[b+k]
Has to be predicted if not charged, can do on reaction if charged. - Donated by ojste and mikosu

TAKI
B+K, BBB
Block the first 2 hits, step RIGHT (2 on 1p side) followed by 28B+G. You can also step RIGHT just before B+K finishes and do 28B+G there. You can also do 3, 28B+G which is better. - Donated by ojste

PO236
simple, just 28B+G. you should be able to do this on reaction. - Donated by ojste

A+K
28B+G, cant do this on reaction you gotta predict it. - Donated by ojste and mikosu

TIRA
Tira's jump move, but you have to predict. - Donated by harlekein

7_8_9B+K - Donated by mikosu

YOSHIMITSU
dgf/sdgf
Can be caught out of both of them, the range is mad on this and will catch them even if they do k follow up off sdgf - Donated by ojste and mikosu

9a+b
Easy if they hang in the air, it looks do-able on reaction if the drop down early too. - Donated by ojste

9b+k,k
Easy when first hit whiffs, can be done after blocking first hit but timing is tight. - Donated by ojste

YUNSUNG
44B+K, CR B+K - Donated by mikosu

ZASALAMEL
4+B+K - This is Zasalamel's unblockable that has ridiculous tracking ability. It hits three times up close. If Zas tries this on you at long-mid to long range you can grab him with the 28B+G. At long-mid to long range the first two hits miss then he turns and leaps into the 3rd hit (which will track you even if you sidestep). You need to time the 28B+G to catch Zas in the leap. The timing is very easy and you should punish Zas 100% of the time trying this stupid move on you. Donated by CHIP STAXMAN

Enemy moves that can be caught by 82B+G

i think you mean 28B+G :P
but i'll look into this too >.>
watch for edits

edit: editting as i go :D

sophie's 11A,[A] but u gotta be fast and block the 11A. probably best to block non-UB or jsut a+g if u think they are gonna do the UB.
also here 8[B+K] but u gotta react fast enough cuz if she starts to fall down, u'll miss it and get hit.

lizardman's 8[B+K] same as sophie.
his crawl stance B can be caught. and if u just 28B+G, you'll jump over A and K but grab them if they do B.

Cassandra's 4bA. Just sidestep or backstep and 28B+G.

You can also catch Cervantes 4B+K if you are fast enough. I feel it's a lot safer to GI though.

i will try some stuff later, sounds interesting :) maybe we should list low grabs too or perhaps make a new thread for it

Enemy moves that can be caught by 28B+G

Low grabs should go in another thread.

I'm hoping we'll discover 28B+G to be a useable punisher for whiffed moved that end up with the opponent in the air, or as a suitable interupter against other moves.

my findings so far:

--taki--

B+K, BBB
block the first 2 hits, step RIGHT (2 on 1p side) followed by 28B+G. you can also do PT instead which is gaurenteed and easier :p

you can also step RIGHT just before B+K finishes and do 28B+G there. you can also do 3, 28B+G which is better :p

PO236
simple, just 28B+G. you should be able to do this on reaction.

A+K
28B+G, cant do this on reaction you gotta predict it.

--lizardman--

WRkkk
step LEFT (8 on 1p side) after blocking the first hit and do 28B+G.
i also found if you do a low grab after the blocking the first hit you will go through him and then if you delay another low grab you will do a back throw on him :|

crwl, b
you need to do this really early and predict.

8b+k_[b+k]
has to be predicted if not charged, can do on reaction if charged.

--sophie--

6aaa
you can jump over the 2nd a but unfortunately cant follow up with 28B+G. you can however do B+K, low grab :p

2b8bak
on reaction

8a+k series
you can grab any follow up except for k

11aa_[a]
uncharged has to be predicted and first hit has to whiff (lol), charged can done on reaction even if you are hit by the first a

8b+k_[b+k]
has to be predicted if not charged, can do on reaction if charged.

more:

--cervy--

teleport
has to be predicted, looks funny though :p

4b+k
hard timing and has to be predicted. also better punishment out there for people who chain it (lol)

8a+b
on whiff

--yoshi--

dgf/sdgf
can be caught out of both of them, the range is mad on this and will catch them even if they do k follow up off sdgf

9a+b
easy if they hang in the air, it looks do-able on reaction if the drop down early too.

9b+k,k
easy when first hit whiffs, can be done after blocking first hit but timing is tight.

--amy--

66ba
block the first hit then do it slow so you duck the 2nd hit. easy on whiff.

33b
has to be predicted. you need to side step the hit and do it.. just make use of the 2 motion on the throw. timing is pretty tight.

66a
has to be predicted.

6a+b, a
do it during 6a+b, should be able to do it on reaction

A+k, k
sidestep duing a+k, then do it

u dont really have to predict lizardman crawl. 28b+g jumps all other options. tho b+k can sometimes hit :P

hehe low grabs destroy everything in crawl stance anyway but he wanted to know what can be air grabbed :p

GREAT WORK OJSTE!!

I'll edit the first post when I get home from work and credit you.

BTW. Which Cervy teleport can be 28B+G?

it works on both normal and just frame teleport as long as he appears in front of you and you have already started the throw by the time he appears

he basically has to teleport into your throw :p

hehe low grabs destroy everything in crawl stance anyway but he wanted to know what can be air grabbed :p

i know :P
was just saying more on the line of u don't really have to really predict.
but low grab is better :P

i once grabbed either mitsu or cassy out of their 1A
:)

Tira's jump can be grabbed as well, but you have to predict. I forgot the command. I know all the moves because my brother likes to play her, but not the commands.

Kiliks from the ground rising unblockable ( and its version off of one of his counters ) can also be caught.

Please note, this is both very humiliating and extremely satisfying when done to online Kiliks.

Kiliks from the ground rising unblockable ( and its version off of one of his counters ) can also be caught.

Please note, this is both very humiliating and extremely satisfying when done to online Kiliks.

i thought about that last night and totally forgot.
damn lizardman! :P

This is most excellent news.

We always need more ways to humiliate Kilik users.

I'm going to practice that until it becomes an automatic reflex.

Back