So what about the intro vid??

RedwoodLynx

[01] Neophyte
I don't know about you guys, but the intro cinematic that plays when booting up the game has always been hotly anticpated in my book. A good intro vid can get you hyped like nothing else, and Soul Calibur has some of the best in the business. Unfortunately, the later games saw some serious drop in quality, but I'm hoping SC6 can be a return to the glory days of truly incredible intro vids.

Looking back on the intros for SC2-5 (leaving out 1, as they lacked the tech to really do up a proper intro) we see a large range in quality. Up at the top we have SC 2 and 3- for m e at least, its impossible to choose the better intro. Both get everything right- showcasing a wide variety of the games characters squaring off in fantastically choreographed 1v1s that do a lot to set up each character in a very short amount of time. Both intros have some absolutely iconic shots- in SC2, you got the perfectly timed close-up of Ivy's smirk, Taki's badass ninja magic explosion, Mitsurugi's iconic ship to ship charge, and a truly glorious shot of nightmare to cap it off. In SC3 you have the coolest new character intro ever with Mits charging at the seemingly helpless Setsuka- only to get that *shinggggg* as she pulls out the umbrella sword. You also get some awesome nightmare/sigfried shots, a great taki/voldo fight, and some sis teamwork.

SC4's intro is the worst by 10,000 yards- Mitsurugi fighting a dude with a lightsaber- all you need to know. Zero immersion, zero good fights, no good character development.

SC5's is a nice Sigfreid/Nightmare cinematic, but is completely lacking in that it only showcases two characters- a proper intro gives everyone a moment to scream "YEEEEE THERE'S MY GUY, LOOK HOW BADASS HE/SHE IS."

Its been a long enough time that they can go pretty much any directuon for the SC6 intro, or even not have one at all, but I'm hoping they do one in the style of SC2-3- a good ol fashioned full cast hype vid.

We can hope I suppose because, but if it cuts into development that could be used for another awesome thing (Like an amazing CAS?) then i can skip. But yeah, it'd be nice for a full cinematic

Last edited:
The intro for SC6 should be like 2 and 3 being an epic showcase of most of the cast while briefly alluding to how the plot comes about. It needs to be something exciting again rather than Algol just slowly standing there or just two characters fighting.

By the way why no love for Soul Edge's intro? The song is cheesy yeah but it still has that rush of energy with big cinematics like Siegfried taking part in a well shot action film.

@KikBlava That's what I hope for. I think this is the perfect opportunity to either remake the intro from the first game, or hopefully do what SCIII did and used it to preview the world building. What I don't want is an intro with the characters just fighting each other. If anything why not they just make it like an anime opening, where it shows different environments, travel, and the villain's influence or the characters adventuring outside of fighting? Generic intros are boring, but they look even worse using in-game models to me.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who was fond of the custom SC1 intros? It was rather... interesting to have a buff dude replace Sophitia's part in it.

I have a bit of a sinking feeling since geralt's reveal. Hopefully we'll get more, but I have a terrible feeling we're going to get the generic "Mitsu Vs Guest (Geralt), then Nmare versus generic good character (either kilik, X or Sophi).
If they do this I'm going to have to voldo crawl to Japan in protest, becuase there is so many things they could do with this.
Please tell I'm the only one with this sinking feeling

Back