Sophie Anti-Character Thread (Online Edition)

geejay008

[09] Warrior
Hi all, long time lurker (since SC2/3.. ^_^)... occasional poster.. ^_^

I'm creating this thread to cater for sophie mainers like me who's 'forced' to play online due to the none-existent SC scenes in our areas... =(

I am however fortunate enough to have built up a good population of SC4 players on my Xbox Live friends list whos close enough to have a consistent 5 bar connection... & with UK being close enough to France/Germany/Netherlands, I get to play some great online players from their strong SC scene too..

Unfortunately, with online being 'online' regardless if u have a 4/5bar lag.. I feel that Sophie looses a lot of her adv. on her frames... so my CH 'fishing' poke game got nerfed... and my favourite punisher AS/TAS B:4 has lost a lot of its edge in regards to punishing moves.

With that being said.. here are a bunch of Characters I normally run into trouble with:

CERVANTES

Usually, I'm normally alright against him... I go a bit overboard with A+B aGI & there's nothing more satisfying than countering his iGDR/4B+K/4A+B with it! However, when they switch up their strat & starts a CH fight against me.. I'm normally in the losing end... =/ ...AS/TAS B:4 doesnt seem to be fast enough online against this... I have been trying other fast pokes ie 3K,BB,AA, all other TC moves.. seems to work sometimes.. until i guess wrong & I get CMD thrown.. >_< lol!

IVY

Similar problem as I have with Cervy... i get stunned, stunned again, launched, juggled.. then rung out... =( ...& if I didnt fly off the edge of the map... I get hit again with a mix-up.. then usually either stunned again then CMD thrown for 1/2 life.. I usually die then... =( Usual TC pokes sometimes works, until I get push blocked too far for any of them to hit.. so I couldnt maintain the pressure/frame adv.. =/

YOSHIMITSU

Normally, the yoshis I face online are pretty average.. thus the number of my wins against them are pretty normal. However, there are a couple of Yoshis (..mostly french, go figure.. >_<) that are extremely good with their executions. In which case, players such as those will usually go into their iMCF series of mixups, & there doesn't seem to be a single move in online Sophie's arsenal to break the adv... =( ...so 8/10 i would end up getting CH to death by that type of yoshi player if he isnt too busy messing around with his char's other crazy moves... =_=

The rest of the cast I am usually able to deal with in some way... its really just those three characters online-wise that I generally end up getting a hard time.

Am I just being silly, or is anyone facing the same problems?

I also have trouble against Ivy, but against both Ivy and Cervy you're gonna want to lay off TC moves and in some cases limit your sidestepping. Most of Cervy's moves are punishable, learn which ones, and get really good at 236Bing as soon as you can because a lot of his moves are -14 which really hard to punish online. If all else fails just throw them. If they whore out 1K as they should, which gives +1 on hit, 236B after for a favorable trade until they start blocking.

Against Yoshimitsu, it's a good idea to keep a distance. Stay out of his iMCF range. Your 4B+K pushes back deceptively far, and it's so safe you can backstep to get out of trouble. If they get in close on you and you just can't get a 4B+K off and they keep spamming that iMCF/2A you can start using 9B for decent damage and advantage. If they start doing only lows like many Yoshis like to do, just start blocking and punishing with 236B. If he starts Doorknockering shenanigans on block, crouch under the second two knocks and interrupt him. Tap Step G his unblockables. Lots of random advice here but the main thing is to keep him away and whiff punish with the 236236B hit at the tip so you can combo into another one.

Against good Ivys I really don't know... but I can help you with bad Ivys. Shake her stuns. Bad Ivys use that CL 214B evade that finishes with them in stance. If you block it, you must punish them for half health with 236236B 236236B4. If they're in sword form, keep them away, if they're in whip state, get in range so you can punish some of her moves. If she's in coil state, watch out for 214B and A+B. She doesn't do a whole lot of highs in general so TC moves are not that good here unless you're worried about throws.

In general if I have trouble with a character I look at what was making me lose, go to training mode, look the frame data, and try to find holes in their strategy.

Whoa! ...i gave up getting a reply to this thread so long ago.. I didnt realise I actually got one till i accidentaly checked this SA! >_<

...neways, thnx ever so much for the tip Signia... your advice is indeed noted.

...I just got to update that I have indeed been tryin 2 sharpen my TAS B4s since the last time i posted this. And it has been further enhanced thanx 2 my investment in the Xconverter 360 plus; all xbox 360 pads are just insufficient to the task of consistently pulling of sophie's TAS Bs.. let alone getting a TAS B - TAS B4 to combo all the time.. >_< ...I'm now spoiled by my old PS2 DS2 pad.. that is until I can acquire a decent stick.. ^_~

NOTE:
For anyone who's currently in the same boat as I was (UK xbox 360 pad player who cant afford a decent stick) ...go for this baby from ebay... the seller is from Korea, but your orders comes within a week.. and its intact by the time it gets to you... make no mistakes you will be kissing your xbox pads goodbye.. ...and will be so glad you kept your PS2 Pads ^_~

...anyways, I am still open to new effective online sophie strats.. ..just been watchin the Team battle between France & Team Muscle.. specifically daGOTTh's match. It got me really inspired.. & will try to implement the gems I saw.. ^_^

/Peace

Back