Sophie Breaking the Soul

BrewtusBibulus

Get your eSports on!
A list of Sophie Moves and how many consecutive shots it takes to break someones soul gauge. Keep in mind I use the point after a CF opportunity thats not taken as 0 so this is roughly 75% of the normal starting point damage

6 - 66B, 4[A], 44B+K, 4B+K
7 - 22A (Both Sides), 1A,A, 88_22B, 236236A,A
8 - 4B
9 - 66A
10 - 4B, 236236A
11 - NA
12 - 1[K]

Sophie makes bad guys go BOOM!

Here are some base tactics to mess with. Try using moves like 22A and doing attacks after it so the opponent starts to use quick attacks after... then GI them so they defend. 22A, 4B+K is amazing for working the SG if you can train someone to block it. 4B+K also has the bonus of being TC so its win in ALOT of situations.

Also try working the SG down to blinking red and if the opponent starts to attack quickly at disadvantage then its a good tactic to NOT use strong attacks and to just keep stringing frame traps. Playing like this you can retain your SG advantage and in the next round stay at range and get them to guard anything on the above list and then a 22A (right side) should red them out and put you where you want to be... so use it defend and then be ready to interupt them and leave them for more damage until you can go for the kill (this is where I like to use 2B, 8B,A,K... if it doesnt kill them the wakeup can). Moves like A,A 6A,B and 2K are all awesome for working people who get desparate when they see red.

If they choose to guard persistently then you need to test their defense and see if the opponent will duck 4[A]... if they dont that move makes it REALLY easy to work the SG and lock the opponent down. If you use it too much the opponent may get ballsy and attack to interupt (even turtles will look to interupt predictable really slow moves)... But its still not hard to mix it up with other moves like 4B+K that can be used as TC interupts... Turtles usually attack with the fastest attack or most damaging CH starter when they choose to get aggressive so be wary of their choices and counter them accordingly... you will also encounter the same kind of attacks when you pressure them and they are red. Aside from that just learn where to use 44B+K in wakeup and remember its really 22_11_44_77_88B+K so you can step in either direction and still use it... The rest will become apparent as you play.

Breaking the Soul

4B+K really is a great move. I always use this when I want to break someone's soul gauge.

Somehow I seem to land the hit often rather than have them block it. I love that move. :)

Breaking the Soul

like I said people get desparate when they see that blinking red... if they want to keep attacking that move stuffs highs is reasonably quick and murders the SG so if you dont step or GI your fucked

Breaking the Soul

Are those the moves that break the gauge the best or the moves that you have up?
I was wondering how good 44B, 3A+B, 3A, or 236236B are at breaking the soul gauge.

I'll keep 4B+K in mind. I use that move periodically, but I didn't know it was that good at breaking the Soul Gauge. I mainly used it as a spacing move.

Breaking the Soul

I dont think I tested 3A and 3A+B... 3A I dont really use because 33A is must more safe and gives more advantage in the previous game... I still need to break out of some habits and open my head up some more to using new things in this game

3A+B is hella unsafe and 2 hit strings arent good for when someone is ready to get broken. You can break them open with the first hit and then hit them out of the CF stun and lose your chance... that and being unsafe to launchers isnt how i like to roll... unless they changed this move much Ill be honest because I never really used it to begin with

Breaking the Soul

True, I was still curious. I think of Knockback more than anything when I think about 3A.

Good point about 3A+B. That hasn't really happened to me with that move, but the same type of thing happened with other characters.

The move is still very unsafe. I don't think most characters could get a launcher in previous games, but Xianghua could, so that was bad enough. I asked because it has decent knock back and if a character gets pushed too far back, you might still get an attack if they are rushing in. To be honest, the best thing about it now is that it is the her strongest single move to land with in the air. My problem with that also is that it tends to sacrafise a wake up game.

Breaking the Soul

Im much more partial to doing 236236B in juggles because you get to dash into them before you attack and it puts them close to you in wakeup

Breaking the Soul

4B+K is borderline gamebreaking.

It tech crouches, is safe on block and KD's on hit. In an average ROUND, it is easy to set up a block for 5 of these, once people get the red gauge the mind games begin, you get free hits/ mind games and the game is over.

Seriously, I am a mediocre pocket Sophie player, and this move is worse than all her others in terms of stupidly goodness. It's safe and quick and forces someone to GI or step, which is easily mind-gamable. I can't think of another move that is a QUICK, SAFE AND USEFUL for gauge busting on ANY other character.

I hope this move gets patched and it's effectiveness is reduced. In 10 matches vs a good Sophie from Canada, I was able to get 11 CF's and won alost of my matches based off the mind games this move provides.

Only time will tell if this is truly broken, but I have a feeling gameplay will degenerate and revolve around this and a few other moves that crush WAY too easily.

To All Sophie players:

abuse this move, make people see that this needs changed and hopefully it will get nerfed due to obnoxious overuse.

cha cha

Breaking the Soul

4B+K is borderline gamebreaking /// I was able to get 11 CF's and won a lot of my matches based off the mind games this move provides.
Haha, my bad for letting it add up so much. I'm actually sorry for how unprepared I was that you'd play her like that, because I've probably made the effectiveness of 4B+K seem better than it is. The biggest problem I had was realizing 4B+K tracks both ways very well (upclose, at least)... and at this point I decided to GI on reaction, but I couldn't even do that so I really had no chance of keeping up. But yeah, the 2-way tracking was definitely scary. I'll do more testing on it soon.

Breaking the Soul

IMO its not overpowered because its all she really has now... like when I labbed it up in the beginning of SC4 I found gaping holes in everything. At least she can work the SG fast up close... I mean its not like she is asta and can keep people at bay at range where they cant do anything. When people start to push you back after they guard it things get rough. I mean you cant break someones standing guard and keep advantage and close spacing... you need to play at disadvantage everywhere which can lead to getting dead in a hurry. With her hit level mixup game pretty much gone your left with using SG tactics to make the opponents eat highs and mids that give you advantage and can lead into more highs and mids that they need to deal with using some way thats not guard.

Breaking the Soul

tim, you are crazy.

SG build is all Sophie has? Did you blaze right before you posted? Even WITHOUT SG moves, she is STILL one of the best characters in the game. Stupid safe on block, hella good damage, one of the best punishers in the game, great throw mix up game, good quick mid range moves, great up close moves, an AUTO COUNTER THAT WORKS....wow, how could you say that's all she has?

Don't play the harp and try to make Sophie players look like tragic victims that play to make their character better, she is cheap and she is top 5 in the GAME, you cannot argue this.... yet!

cha cha

Breaking the Soul

Haha, my bad for letting it add up so much. I'm actually sorry for how unprepared I was that you'd play her like that, because I've probably made the effectiveness of 4B+K seem better than it is. The biggest problem I had was realizing 4B+K tracks both ways very well (upclose, at least)... and at this point I decided to GI on reaction, but I couldn't even do that so I really had no chance of keeping up. But yeah, the 2-way tracking was definitely scary. I'll do more testing on it soon.

Vints, I was actually referring to Senior. You weren't even warmed up when we played.

Breaking the Soul

dude her B+G gives no wakeup at all... frame traps arent really there from most of her tools. And some stuff like 236236A isnt going to work before long... if you step to the 2nd hits weak side and attack you get free launchers if she finishes and frame traps if she doesnt (provided you do this quickly). Now if her 66A+G was still a B break I would be all over it because 2 throws that give wakeup make for good throw mixups.

IE her mixup tools are gone unless you trade attacks back and forth even on hit... that is going to make the ability to CF at close range be a determining factor... so IMO she is good but its not going to be tournament winning good if you remove the CF's... Like you dont even need to land one because the threat of one is good enough for most people to make them attack in a way that gets them killed

Breaking the Soul

4B+K is borderline gamebreaking.

Pretty much summed up my feelings.

I got about 30 CFs last Saturday when I played with a bunch of people, and people watching kept wondering how in the world I got them over and over again... I just said I knew the moves. :)

Breaking the Soul

dude her B+G gives no wakeup at all... frame traps arent really there from most of her tools. And some stuff like 236236A isnt going to work before long... if you step to the 2nd hits weak side and attack you get free launchers if she finishes and frame traps if she doesnt (provided you do this quickly). Now if her 66A+G was still a B break I would be all over it because 2 throws that give wakeup make for good throw mixups.

IE her mixup tools are gone unless you trade attacks back and forth even on hit... that is going to make the ability to CF at close range be a determining factor... so IMO she is good but its not going to be tournament winning good if you remove the CF's... Like you dont even need to land one because the threat of one is good enough for most people to make them attack in a way that gets them killed

i don't know, i think she's still good. there was a lot that was toned-down, but didn't she DESPERATELY NEED getting toned down? i abused the shit out of her in sc3 (take that how you will) and it got to a point of not being funny anymore; at least now i feel like i earned a W rather than just going through the motions.

Breaking the Soul

Sophie is still one of the best in the game. Yes she is toned down, but so is almost the entire cast in this game.

Breaking the Soul

ok can we not have this turn into a this character is better then that one thread... Im not trying to say she isnt really good but you need to incorperate CF tactics into your game or your going to gimp your game too much

Tribal - If you have to go through the motions to make people fall over you need to find better competition. If they dont adapt to how to counter the same attack strings its a bad sign... and sophie had some gaping holes in her SC3 game if you played against her right. Like if you play someone who turtles well its a REALLY REALLY hard match unless they use unsafe moves (like trying to beat that stupid hwang player from canadia)... that being said if you put CF's in 3 sophie would be god tier IMO

You guys who think that 4B+K is so OP need to fight someone who keeps you at range... or at least tries. That move wont get you too far with them

Breaking the Soul

I agree, enough with the sepculation as to who she is better than.

As far as 4B+K goes. The range argument doesn't hold up. because 4B+K is primarily utilized after a KD, stun recovery or gap closing move like 236236B, 66A or 11A. Range has no issue because it's all in how you set it up, not just throw it out there.

The mind game it provides after the opponent relaizes what it can do, give Sophie a total advantage as their reluctance to block and despeartion to step and GI is something Sophie can prey on.

It's stupid good, and if this move doesn't single-handedly win tourney matches, I will be suprized.

cha cha

Breaking the Soul

Tribal - If you have to go through the motions to make people fall over you need to find better competition. If they dont adapt to how to counter the same attack strings its a bad sign... and sophie had some gaping holes in her SC3 game if you played against her right. Like if you play someone who turtles well its a REALLY REALLY hard match unless they use unsafe moves (like trying to beat that stupid hwang player from canadia)... that being said if you put CF's in 3 sophie would be god tier IMO

yea, but, let's face it, most ppl arent that good in sc. plus, when played right, sc3 soph was ridiculous to play against.

Breaking the Soul

Were we supposed to wait for Justin Wong to pick up the game and play Soph?
Seriously, the bitch was good. She's jus not something you went home and complained about.

Back