Soul 5 vs Soul 6 (Pre-Release) system mechanics

Party Wolf

Administrator
Sometimes I get asked about what's new, so let's talk about what's new!

Movement - In SC6 it is very fast and recovers much quicker when compared to SC5. You will see more of this in SC6.

Guard Impact (6G) - Now covers every hit level including CEs, but can not parry break attacks (lightning moves), reversal edge, or unblockable. Requires no meter and has a bigger window to have a successful parry (could still change).

Reversal Edge (B+G) - New universal parry. It k covers the same things as a GI would plus it parries reversal edge, but you are always forced to perform a linear attack. This makes it a lot easier to take advantage of if you wait for it since it is super easy to whiff punish.

Reversal edges automatically go into a nuanced rock paper scissors mode where B > A > K > B. If you draw in rock paper scissors, you play again for a 2nd round, however the 2nd round does not allow a 2nd draw to occur. The person who starts the reversal edge will always win draws on 2nd round. You have options like guard, duck, backdash, and sidestep, but these can all be taken advantage of by different attacks from the reversal edge state. Some characters have unique properties too to add on to their rock paper scissors. For example, if Mitsurugi does RE K and you block it, you're forced to take a 50/50 because it has a string attached to it that can go mid or low.

You may also charge the reversal edge to extend the parry window, but only for a limited amount of time. The reason you would want to do this is because the non charged version can lose to certain strings. It also forces the rock paper scissors mini game on block. Should also note that reversal edge in general does damage on hit, so you can kill without the rock paper scissors mode initiating.

Throws (4A+G, A+G, command throw) - Basically the application is the exact same. Two way guess. However you can tech throws with any attack now. A+G and command throws with any button. 4A+G with any button PLUS pressing back. Only real gameplay difference is that people will accidentally break A+G throws more often and accidentally break 4A+G throws less often.

I think the game notates them as back escapes and front escapes. I'm sure we'll figure out in time if we want to stop calling them A and B throws. Back throw is a very confusing term (4A+G vs grabbing someone's back).

Guard Gauge - It works the same way as SC5 in regards to getting a free combo when you burst someoguene. Only notable thing is that performing a regular guard impact or a reversal edge will drain your gauge for performing them.

AAA and BBB - Characters that had standard BB and AA before now have extensions. This will force people to try to move or duck out of situations more often when they are hit by AA or BB.

Meter - It gains pretty slowly for the most part. You get one bar of meter just like SC5 for being on your potential losing round. Only way to get large chunks of meter now beyond that is to hit someone with a reversal edge.

Critical Edge (A+B+K) - It's the same, but they can be GId or reversal edged.

Soul Charge (4A+B+K)
- This costs 1 bar of meter and causes your character to go into an enhanced state. Various moves will be buffed (like brave edges) and you will gain more moves for a limited amount of time. That amount of time can be lowered if you are hit at any point. Upon activation, you will push the opponent away (except Zas who pulls them in) if they are close enough, regardless of blocking or attacking. It spikes them down to the ground if they are in the air.

A REALLY EASY WAY to keep track of buffed/new moves is to look at the pretty colors below the characters. Most characters will have splash effects when they do them. Only exception seems to be Nightmare who has his sword glow purple instead.

Lethal Hit - Basically certain moves turn into combo starters or better launchers if you fill out that move's lethal hit condition. For example, Sophitia's 236236B can lethal hit on whiff punish for a full combo, but not in other situations. Mitsu B6 can lethal hit on backdashers. Kilik 3B can lethal hit on counter hit. Break attacks can lethal hit if you try to guard impact them.

Misc Observations - A lot of moves knockdown less or knockdown opponents far away from them now. Every generic low kick is 2K.

I think that covers most things. Let me know if I missed anything in general.

Last edited:
Soul Charge (4A+B+K) ...Upon activation, you will push the opponent away (except Zas who pulls them in)

Is this confirmed ? I've only seen the Zas reveal trailer and it looks more like clever editting or 2 separate instances (soul charge + special move) rather than the entire soul charge.

• Admin
Is this confirmed ? I've only seen the Zas reveal trailer and it looks more like clever editting or 2 separate instances (soul charge + special move) rather than the entire soul charge.
I guess nothing is too confirmed, but I don't see the point of them being deceptive.

I guess nothing is too confirmed, but I don't see the point of them being deceptive.
Don't worry I'm not saying they're being anywhere near remotely deceptive. However, to make a good trailer, sometimes you splice together different attack animations and the viewer interprets as one sequence. I agree that everything is subject to change, so I don't plan to dwell on that.

I just thought perhaps you had some "insider" knowledge.

I think the game notates them as back escapes and front escapes. I'm sure we'll figure out in time if we want to stop calling them A and B throws. Back throw is a very confusing term (4A+G vs grabbing someone's back).
Front throw, back throw
Side throw
Rear throw

Back