Soul Calibur 5 Auto Fuzzy Guard Against Lows

aris

[08] Mercenary
While playing games with Insomnotek, we discovered that an auto fuzzy guard exists in SC5. It is unclear how game breaking this is, but the video shows how it works. This tactic will block mid attacks and jump over lows automatically.

Assuming this works perfectly, this makes going into SRSH with Seigfried pointless, since the main point of that is the mid/low mix-up, which this kills.

As an observation: A slow low such as Siegfried 1A will catch a jumping opponent as he lands should he jump immediately, as will many other slowish lows unless they react to them and block low still, so its not the total end of the world...
... Unless you play rugi of course, lol.

As an observation: A slow low such as Siegfried 1A will catch a jumping opponent as he lands should he jump immediately, as will many other slowish lows unless they react to them and block low still, so its not the total end of the world...
... Unless you play rugi of course, lol.

good thought. be an interesting counter for this if that's the case

And things like Cervantes' DC CE mixup will tear this shit wide open, this is just a nerf to low poking and mid/low mixup in a game where mid/throw is even stronger anyway. =/

Leave it to Aris to turn SCV into SCII part 2, lol.

Fuzzy guarding in SC2 wasn't that broken, though. Especially compared to the later stuff we found...

Actually, now that I think about it, didn't make Nightmare go from low tier to more mid-tier?

And I noticed the fuzzy guarding (but wasn't really confirming it, because I actually thought I was jumping) in the game. I'm wondering if some of the older videos from Daishi et al. where there was jumping, were aware of the fuzzy guarding and intentionally doing it?

After sleeping on this, I feel like this won't be that much of a deal, just another thing to keep in mind. There is still a timing element to it, and if your opponent is sitting there doing this there are a ton of things that they are NOT doing. So no worries just yet.

- I.C.E.

P.S. Should still (and probably will) be patched... Maybe even on day 1 since I read in the other thread about this that the guide writers knew about this and supposedly passed the word on to Namco.

I was tooiling around with this and it's not very consistent. Like if you try spamming it quickly the game stops registering the inputs properly after 3-4 attempts.... You can tell because when you do it properly your character spazzes out with the early frames of the jumping animation. If you slow it down, you can do it a whole bunch but you can also get randomly popped with lows because it's not always active. Maybe you can do it perpetually, but it's not braindead easy.

Granted I was testing at like 7AM on no sleep, but I don't really mind that as much after sleeping on it. Like in theory you can nullify stance mixups, but you can also read the player doing it and just pop him with the strongest mid/high guard guage damaging move after seeing them sit there and think that is an answer to like Seig stances... and when the dude is doing like 120 damage (SCH B CE or SBH B both hit 2-3 points under half life on CH) from knowing how to break your guard and he does it in 8-10 blocks with the right stance moves... Who needs a mixup?

I hope there is a patch, but while on paper it looks like an answer to stances, in reality it's also committing you to a passive defensive position in a game that late you punish passive defensive positions in many ways. Thanks for posting it up :)

Its just something that needs to get patched. no reason to start off on the wrong foot right out of the gate. People always past its no big deal till it starts making the game less fun.

Back