Soul Calibur 6 CaS Discussion

A lot of the ideas here are good but of course there will be limitations on what is possible especially if we expect some decent online gameplay. If cool CAS features come at the expense of that, then i cant get behind any of it. That said, i remember being rather impressed with SC5's version. Dont know if it was because of how good it was or because i hated SC4's but i did enjoy the improvements a lot. Moving forward, if they can keep that CAS with just a couple of tweaks, i'll be happy. The major things i'd like to see are...

An option to remove that damned equipment break crap. So that we at least dont see it on our end of online matches if we dont want to. That feature is especially bad for CAS i think because none of those clothing pieces actually break or rip, they just come off completely. I guess that makes sense because that would mean an additional "broken" version of each item but it looks god-awful.

Divide shoulder and arm sections into two sides, so that we can design "heavier" or "lighter" sides on characters. This would go a long way even if they didnt add a single new item.... i would prefer this choice instead. A lot of the character's standard costumes are designed this way, such as Ivy.

I've noticed in some cases heavy armor for legs and arms have two versions of identical pieces that are just shorter or longer. Rather than doing this, i'd prefer they just give the option to exclude or keep the thigh/bicep portion of any armor changing it from the "long" or "short" variants. But that would obviously only apply for anything that appears to have visible "sections".

The last game had a weapon color edit which i was very happy to have but it was a bit limited because about half the weapons for any given character couldn't be edited including the standard weapons. This is something that would depend on which character you main. I imagine Taki players would care a lot less about something like this than say for example Yoshimitsu or Setsuka players. Anyone that has a large weapon or prop to go with it would probably appreciate this feature more.

This will come down to preferences of individuals but i think they should scrap a lot of the more elaborately designed equipment in favor of more basic, generic styles. Despite how cool a lot these things look, a lot of them only look decent as a set with the other pieces in its series rather than mixed with other stuff.

A lot of the ideas here are good but of course there will be limitations on what is possible especially if we expect some decent online gameplay. If cool CAS features come at the expense of that, then i cant get behind any of it. That said, i remember being rather impressed with SC5's version. Dont know if it was because of how good it was or because i hated SC4's but i did enjoy the improvements a lot. Moving forward, if they can keep that CAS with just a couple of tweaks, i'll be happy. The major things i'd like to see are...

An option to remove that damned equipment break crap. So that we at least dont see it on our end of online matches if we dont want to. That feature is especially bad for CAS i think because none of those clothing pieces actually break or rip, they just come off completely. I guess that makes sense because that would mean an additional "broken" version of each item but it looks god-awful.

Divide shoulder and arm sections into two sides, so that we can design "heavier" or "lighter" sides on characters. This would go a long way even if they didnt add a single new item.... i would prefer this choice instead. A lot of the character's standard costumes are designed this way, such as Ivy.

I've noticed in some cases heavy armor for legs and arms have two versions of identical pieces that are just shorter or longer. Rather than doing this, i'd prefer they just give the option to exclude or keep the thigh/bicep portion of any armor changing it from the "long" or "short" variants. But that would obviously only apply for anything that appears to have visible "sections".

The last game had a weapon color edit which i was very happy to have but it was a bit limited because about half the weapons for any given character couldn't be edited including the standard weapons. This is something that would depend on which character you main. I imagine Taki players would care a lot less about something like this than say for example Yoshimitsu or Setsuka players. Anyone that has a large weapon or prop to go with it would probably appreciate this feature more.

This will come down to preferences of individuals but i think they should scrap a lot of the more elaborately designed equipment in favor of more basic, generic styles. Despite how cool a lot these things look, a lot of them only look decent as a set with the other pieces in its series rather than mixed with other stuff.
I agree with most of this, except armour break, and the elaborate equipment. I personally believe selecting specific parts of the armour would be the best way to do this.
I understand of mean, you can choose for nothing to break, but you can select, say, just the gauntlets, for example, on a mid Armour break. This keeps those who don't like Armour break happy, and let's those who like me, like consistency and actually being able to visually tell that a piece is broken.

The things you mentioned about the gauntlets is my thoughts exactly. It'd be cool for shoes too.

Just as a personal thing, calf items should be separated from shoes Imo. Bugs me that you can't wear leg warmers and any type of shoes.

Don't get me wrong, I've spent 300+ hours on CaS. I love the mode, even as it is in scv I just want it to be as in depth as it can be

Just as a personal thing, calf items should be separated from shoes Imo. Bugs me that you can't wear leg warmers and any type of shoes.
You mean like this?

PjshkPH.jpg

You mean like this?

PjshkPH.jpg

Yeah, i was never a fan of leg-warmers. I believe they do have it in 5 but it was rolled in with the boot layer so you cant wear shoes (lol, useless). I am however a big fan of shin-guard type leg armor with different shoes and sandals rather than the typical long boots and heavy armor we see covering the feet and legs completely.

Stuff that more closely resembles a gladiator in appearance rather than a knight because they are front covering and lighter. We dont get a lot of material that resembles leather or cloth rather than steel and i think that needs to change. I think Chun-li in SF5 has a costume as an example of what i'm talking about only not so modern looking.

Chun-Li-Training.jpg

While i'm at it, most images i see of Kasumi in several of her costumes also have something like this but shorter in length.

figma-382-kasumi-c2-ver-00.jpg

There is still so much standard looking gear that hasn't even shown up yet though. I've yet to see anything that resembles a Spanish Conquistador helmet. Headgear in general seems a bit lacking and what we do have seems too big.
I'll give you that haha. I used the circlets and headbands more than anything. I've never really used the hats and the good helmets are few and far between.

Anyone think we'll be able to customise a soul charge state? Like colours at least?

I doubt it. Right now i'm thinking the best we'll get is something close to SC5 probably with several new features that i wont care about at the expense of ones i would. I just hope they wont remove entire sections and combine them with others. That happened between SC3 and 4. I realized i couldn't make most of the cool outfits even though the parts were there.

I jumped into SCV's CaS again after a long time and I completely forgot about how unoptimized and limiting CaS could be in that game. There's things with a lot of equipment conflicting with each other (when conceivably they shouldn't) and also a great lack of really detailed and interesting equipment pieces. Then there's also the issue with some equipment that can be used in conjunction having a shit ton of clipping issues (the DLC Valkyrie Helm for females comes to mind + all the hairs).

I really wish that the new system they're operating on will alleviate many of these issues on top of giving us more diverse and detailed equipment pieces.

For me, I use CaS either to be artistic, or create characters from table top RPGs for design purposes or to fight with, with my friends. This is why I tend to push for more real weapons, and representations of real fighting styles, as such things are useful to me. Personally I wish there was a dedicated create a fighter weapons based game, but at the moment Soul Calibur is the closest I have.

I mostly recreate existing characters that aren't unlockable, like the Chronicles of the Sword and Tales of Souls folks from SoulCalibur III and the allies/enemies from story mode and the ones from Tower of Lost Souls from SoulCalibur IV. I didn't really do this for Quick Battle in SoulCalibur V, though, since I had a lot of slots already taken up by creating the characters that didn't make it into the game. I did make Harada TEKKEN, Hwang, and Li Long, but most of the others remained untouched since they were really just random and bleh, not like the games that came before. I also do make original characters, and the occasional cameo character, but I'm really particular about cameos, and if I can't make them look at least 95% like the real deal, I don't bother.

I use it to remake characters from previous installments that didn't make in the current game (or future ones, since I have no PS4). I also include guests and I even intend to make characters from that game that had Lloyd as a guest. I even made Groh, but I have yet to make Geralt...

I mainly just use them for recolouring the current costumes of the main roster. Using CaS for making my own characters has never really been a big thing for me.

I don't see the point of CaS unless there are weapon movesets that are independent from the main cast. All you're doing is playing as one of the main characters in a different avatar. That's a half arsed feature IMO.

I don't see the point of CaS unless there are weapon movesets that are independent from the main cast. All you're doing is playing as one of the main characters in a different avatar. That's a half arsed feature IMO.
I kinda agree with this mostly but i did occasionally want to make a female version of certain male characters. That depends on the character though. Certain male movesets look better on a female than others'. I made female scythes because i felt Zasalemel's moveset appeared not so masculine to me. Cervantes could work too or maybe Voldo, but i didnt like seeing a lot of the other male weapon styles on female characters. NONE of the female weapons looked right on males.

Actually scratch that, Hilde probably looks ok on a male and i guess we have to admit SC5 proves Setsuka works... if you remove the umbrella.

Aside from that, i pretty much only edited existing characters rather than make new ones.

Last edited:
Back