Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
What else do you think this means?

The emphasis on that particular wording is probably being pushed by the marketing division. It should be obvious that the point is these new mechanics are not being designed as execution barriers.

Well, worst case would be reducing characters' movelists, keeping only the flashiest moves in. Flashy moves used to be a reward. Not anymore, tho.

That sadly seems to be a widespread trend in game development lately. To never displease players by never making them fail and never making them feel the frustration of not mastering a character's moveset. Back when SCV was in development, PS's wording wasn't that far off and we were told "bladibla, wider audience bladibla welcoming newcomers bladibla, don't worry, all the important/essential moves will be there"...and then we got SCV Mitsu. Obviously that's not what they're up to this time but I don't think my fear is that much of a stretch either.

However I agree about the mass hysteria and speculation going on...still, after SCV I'd rather incorrectly voice my worries than keep hoping for what I loved in Soulcalibur and be let down after paying some 60-ish bucks on the new release. Bear with me. Let's hope the marketing division is only "pushing the emphasis".

Am I the only one who wants them to reduce all the flashy effects?
I mean there is no need for that and it is not good for the eyes to constantly see all that special effects on the screen. It is annoying. And it worries me. I don't want to have another experience like T7 which abuses of that kind of effects.
I completely agree. The first thing I didn't really like looking at was how excessive the streaks seemed to be from the lighting effects they have in this game, particularly noticeable on the RE (since thats what they advertised most) but the same trail effects on the guard-breaking hits seems to be a bit overdone. It gives out that superficial look of flashiness over what the actual move preformed itself is.

The effects used on the unblockables seem to be fine with just minimal fire-effects, but the lightning trails just seem to spread out like splashes of water now, and I honestly couldn't tell what Sophitia was doing within it when she was using her RE. I do hope the fix that. I also would have preferred it if the hitbox effects were just the sparks from the metal you see in sword fights, rather than miniture explosions like they are in Tekken. Never liked that either.

Last edited:
Also @Vergeben and @Hayate, if you're both going to make that video you mentioned earlier can I make a request? I'd LOVE to see them bring back vs. Team Battle mode and to introduce an online training mode. Having to go into a match with a friend from across the country just to try some things being discussed is tedious. Being able to invite a friend into practice mode where there are no life bars or time limits would REALLY help spread the knowledge and strategies throughout the community. Both modes can only be beneficial and I feel are really needed to expand the outreach to newer players. The vs. Battle will encourage people to play more characters which only helps them learn the game even more and the online practice mode will give people opportunities to show other people what they're talking about first hand and actually break down things in a comprehensive way without the worry of a clock expiring or life bars running out.
Having mentioned the idea of online training a while back, I'm glad I'm not alone in wanting that. It also takes away the worries of sacrificing win/loss on player licenses in the process for something that could be done more efficiently. Not a big thing, but having that messed with due to teaching someone doesn't seem right.

That's actually exactly how i want Ivy to look in SC6, she looked good in SCV but her 3D model wasn't close enough to this Artwork, i want and hope it will be as closest as possible to this Artwork, that would be such a dream. Imo SC2 and 3 had the best representation of Ivy in her 3D model wise.
Was Ivy always this ghostly pale in SCV? I just hope that the characters all look more flushed out a bit more so they don't end up looking like this.
2488637-ivy.jpg

Last edited:
I think people who care about their casual/lobby records in such a serious way are also the people who plug in ranked.

Eff those losers.

I would like to see an indicator that I’m choosing random on the character card loading screen though. Like a ‘?’ Icon for the character card or an additional icon by the card to indicate random. I feel bad when someone I play picks someone, whoever wins, wins, and then the next game random gives me their char for a mirror match. I feel like they’re going to perceive me as, “that guy” when random does this.

Was Ivy always this ghostly pale in SCV? I just hope that the characters all look more flushed out a bit more so they don't end up looking like this.
2488637-ivy.jpg

Yeah, i also though she doesn't look right in her Screens 3D models in SC4 and 5 (especially in 4), but fortunately in game with some colors she does look great in V especially, and definitely not something like in that screen above.

She looked so much better in SC3 if you ask me, that's the real Ivy for me: (Something like SC2 could do it as well, since she was quite similar to SC3 and looked perfect in this game as well)

Soul-Calibur-3-04.jpg

Even her face looked better imo:

hqdefault.jpg

But it would be even better if she'll look like her SCV Artwork profile, (like in my avatar picture)

Last edited:
From https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2017...ate-character-soul-calibur-6-says-developers/

• Soul Calibur 6 started development when the series was approaching its 20th anniversary, and they realized that there's no weapon-based 3D fighter out on current hardware.

• The keyword was "reboot". Taking a new look on all past titles, how people played them, and how they were received.

• The feelings behind revamping the early days of Soul Calibur were partly to bring new players into its grand history, but also to beckon old players to come back and play.

• The title's setting, 1586, is a year that hasn't been talked about much in Soul Calibur lore.
*The original SC took place 1587, SC2-4 took place 1591, and SC5 took place 1607 or 1608.

• New characters will appear as well. Important characters that will be closely connected to the story from now on.

• They showed Sophitia and Mitsurugi now, but more characters will be introduced gradually to the public.

• (Regarding guest characters) "Please look forward to it!"

• The fundamental parts of the battle system, based around vertical slashes, horizontal slashes and running to move around will not be changed.

• Heavy emphasis is being placed on movement speed and how it feels to control your character, and being tuned so that anyone can play and enjoy it.

• The biggest change is the addition of "Reversal Edge", a one-button input that allows you to guard against almost any move, be they high, mid or low. For beginners, learning this technique can allow them to battle more evenly against experienced players.

• Emphasis is being placed on how much fun they can bring out from getting people into a bladed battle with such a one-button move. They're also particular about making it look good.

• Critical Edge attacks also make a return. Because of them having difficult inputs in Soul Calibur 5, they are now activated with a single button press.

• Contrary to Critical Edge, there's also a new system called Soul Charge. You use your gauge to temporarily power yourself up. There are certain moves which can only be used in this state.

• There's a mechanic called "Lethal Hit" aimed at high-level players, in which a move can, under certain conditions, hit in a special way, which leads to a slow-motion effect and makes it possible to follow up with a powerful combo. By landing this, you also break your opponent's equipment.

• If you break Mitsurugi's lower armor, he will fight in a fundoshi. If you break Sophitia's hair ornaments, her hairstyle will change.

• Guard Impact is possible without using any gauge.

• They want to include a tutorial mode in the game.

• They feel that Character Creation is a part of Soul Calibur's charm that simply cannot be removed. They can't say anything more on the subject, but urge players to look forward to more on that front.

• Development is 70% complete.

your trying to be funny or a prick?
Just pointing out you're posting a wall of text that was a quick translation missing half the important facts. As you can see, Sett also doesn't pay attention to what is already known and posts that wall of text which is, actually, more complete than yours.

No, as in a better translation, along with the one that you posted, was actually already posted. And another was just posted again for the fourth time lol
I didn't see that in my copy and post link that theres more info doesn't mean I didn't pay attention just seen talk about boobs prior too so thought nobody else did.

So not sure if It was discussed or not but is just guard in or no? also anything heard or mentioned of just frames?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back