Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny because I was hoping they'd announce SCVI at E3 last year. Nope, just more Lost Swords crap.

I must admit I'm a little worried about what the next game is going to be like. What if Hoshino really does continue Daishi's direction? That's the worst thing that could happen. I felt this before, I just can't shake off the worry. It doesn't help that Hoshino doesn't publicly speak about his views of the series, so we have to guess ourselves.
I don't think Hoshino will carry on Daishi's direction. He favors the old character more than the new ones, so they will be returning for sure. He has spoke publicly about his views, he has took the piss out of Patroklos and he has said many times about how he loves SCIV and the mechanics of it.

I think SCVI will ether be a type of reboot/retcon maybe, or they will use the Lost Swords type of story that brings all the SCIV characters and SCV characters together. Judging by the character poll too, at least 3 characters from SCV will be returning (Z.W.E.I., Viola, and Pyrrha) so I don't think a reboot would work (In Pyrrha's case) as it's pretty obvious Sophitia will be in the game too. So if they where to reboot it we would have no idea what year the game would be set in and if they choose to go in the past Sophitia and Pyrrha couldn't be together really, unless they have like a 15 year old Pyrrha, still then Sophitia would be like 38 and apparently any woman over 35 is too old in Japan, so that wouldn't work... I can for sure see all the Alexandra girls being in SCVI.

I said it before,i'll say it again: The 17-year jump was a horrible idea to begin with.
Nya, I was pretty ok with the idea. Only problem was its execution.

1- After 17 years, practically no one aged
2- Somehow the roster ended up with almost everyone being malfested Kappa harsh years huh?
3- We either got carbon copies of the original characters we like (but with less soul) aka Leixia or characters that were generic in general (Zwei, I love him and all but god that 1p outfit) or a complete douche like Patty Cakes. To summarize, it brought in kids that we didn't care about. Compared to MKX, where Cassie and Jacqui for example, were cool and well liked.
4- PEOPLE who should have aged beautifully poofed (aka my gorgeous mature wind priestess) ;A; or people like Taki who still seemed pretty hawt from what it looks like in the artbook

MKX did a time skip and few people complained. They did it well. SCV did it and it flopped like a pancake.

I don't think Hoshino will carry on Daishi's direction. He favors the old character more than the new ones, so they will be returning for sure. He has spoke publicly about his views, he has took the piss out of Patroklos and he has said many times about how he loves SCIV and the mechanics of it.

I think SCVI will ether be a type of reboot/retcon maybe, or they will use the Lost Swords type of story that brings all the SCIV characters and SCV characters together. Judging by the character poll too, at least 3 characters from SCV will be returning (Z.W.E.I., Viola, and Pyrrha) so I don't think a reboot would work (In Pyrrha's case) as it's pretty obvious Sophitia will be in the game too. So if they where to reboot it we would have no idea what year the game would be set in and if they choose to go in the past Sophitia and Pyrrha couldn't be together really, unless they have like a 15 year old Pyrrha, still then Sophitia would be like 38 and apparently any woman over 35 is too old in Japan, so that wouldn't work... I can for sure see all the Alexandra girls being in SCVI.
Probably some kind of time-travel deal most likely. I imagine Hoshino would want to keep the old characters in their youth if he brings them back.

Probably some kind of time-travel deal most likely. I imagine Hoshino would want to keep the old characters in their youth if he brings them back.
Yeah I agree, he will probably keep the removed character in their youth then anyone who appeared in SCV as well as the new characters from SCV will stay their age too (unless it goes a year or so in the future).

No 40 year-old Mi-Na @InsaneKhent ='(
Dude,40 is the new 20!
tumblr_ni8ia7DPgV1rowo0fo1_500.png

JLO-Bella-Naija.jpg

Sofia-Vergara-–-NewBeauty-Magazine-2015--03.jpg

Last edited:
One of the arguments that Daishi had for implementing a time skip was to "refresh" the series and to prevent stagnation (at least how i've interpreted it).
For fighting games the plot and storyline was of minor importance. It seems like all the other big fighter franchises stick with their key roster members with no problem. I suppose the new mortal kombat may be different

Street Fighter 3: third strike being one of daishi's favourite games is probably one of the reasons why (for both good and bad reasons)

You know the time skip wasnt all that bad of an idea. MKX did it and it worked because the entire series has always dealt with capturing souls and dark magic so undead remnants of old characters makes sense.

I think part of why the idea for SC5 pit falled is because malfestation hasnt really ever been fully defined. How is it that some malfested go mad (random CaS characters in SC5 storymode), others seemingly get to live forever (Maxi, Voldo, etc) and others inherit undefined abilities or deformities (Cerv, Raph, Omega).

Theres simply never been any real consequences for interacting with Soul Edge/Calibur which is fine but if the series is going to be strongly story driven then lets get some explanations or real consequences.

That or reboot the series or make a semi spinoff like what SF3:ThirdStrike did.

The whole malfested thing got a little too overemphasized for being a loosely defined fantasy condition. If you don't really know what the ramifications are, then what's the significance?

Everyone not named Patroklos or Pyrrha got supremely sidelined in the game too. Some *coughavatarcough* didn't even get a mention (though considering how stupid his official story was, that may have been for the best). There are always going to be some characters who are more or less important than others to the central plot, but the other games never gave so much focus to those characters. Everyone got a story mode of equal length. Everyone got an ending. Everyone had their own reasons to fight to claim or destroy the sword, and didn't exist just to help the real protagonist along his stupid journey.

These stories are best when each character views themselves as the protagonist, on a quest handed down by their own great destinies.

At this point... I think a soft reboot would be best for the series. Just story-wise though. It's gotten too convoluted and just... kind of dumb, at this point. Go back to the start, add in some characters from later games before their original appearances. Take it as an opportunity to provide the series and it's characters with a stronger narrative.

A Mortal Kombat 9 style redux of Soul Blade - Soul Calibur IV could be cool. Since the groundwork has already been laid out, they can focus on making the stories connect better to each other, and give attention to scenes that before were only implied or mentioned in backstories. Make every character feel important. Avoid having a "chosen one". Fuck chosen ones. Real life doesn't have chosen ones. I'm my own chosen one, just as you are yours, and Kilik is his, and Seong Mina is hers, and even... even Astaroth, that big ol' lug, should feel like his life matters as much as anyone's. Sure, there are characters who will sometimes play servant to a higher power, but when the story no longer calls for them to be servants, then take damn advantage of that instead of writing in a new excuse or a new higher power for them to play the servant role. And don't feel like every single narrative has to intertwine. You could get a better story by segmenting the characters into smaller group narratives that involve Soul Edge in some way, be it direct or as a side effect of the chaos it has caused.

Also, more historical stuff. SCIV & V dropped history off a cliff in favor of what felt like straight fantasy.

So... yeah, that. Bit of a rant, bit of an idea stream. Cool? Cool.

I don't mind a main chosen one or whatever. But time should be given to other characters making an appearance in a main storylime, like MK. If they can do it and succeed, why not Soul Calibur?

It would be easier to craft one major plot but still give characters their idividual endings in arcade for example.

I don't like chosen ones because they always end up being the current director's favorite characters and too many other characters are thrown to the wayside to make room for them.

To be honest, MK9s system (haven't played MKX) wasn't ideal either. The heroes got decent face time, but the villains all got to share the role of ultimate jobber. That's also an example of why black & white good and evil leads to lame characterization and bad writing. Morality is a largely grey area, but in MK9 anyone who wasn't a good guy (or who wasn't named Scorpion) was working with Shao Kahn or Shang Tsung and thus got no lines (with few exceptions), a thin backstory, and an unlikable characterization. Oh, and they never get to win any fights. Ever. All of this is to justify the main heroes/chosen ones having mooks to beat up all the time, but that can be done without reducing the opposition to "bad guy". Historically speaking, there are lots of conflicts that arise due to two perfectly justifiable viewpoints. The same goes for good fictional conflicts.

There's always been a main cannon bit of a story in previous games, like in Sc2, biggest thing was siggy being freed and soul embrace forming for example. The main characters being the wielders of the swords makes sense. This is a story about the war of the swords and one good thing the story of scv actually accomplished was erasing that good sc vs evil se. We see both swords are now evil.

So I'd like them to continue elaborating on this and malfesation using a main storyline, but with different chapters for each character like in mkx, anx tyimg their paths together. Sciv tried to sorta do that with making them all head towards the tower but that's it. And then scv just went all pat and pyrrha but they were missing 3/4 of the story so meh

Honestly Soulcalibur is pretty good at giving each character his own agenda. Mortal Kombat has always just been about bad guys wanting Earthrealm destroyed and good guys stopping them. You can think of any character in Soulcalibur and they really stand alone, which is why SC5 was such a huge blunder.

Only Pat and Pyrrha had stories fleshed out and the story seemed to enter a realm of genericism like MK where good guys teamed up against bad guys (NM, Voldo, Asta, Omega, Tira vs Sieg, Hilde, Pat, Viola, ZWEI). The other characters required some wiki research because they werent even mentioned.

This is all to say that having a "chosen one" is actually a new addition to the game in SC5. Sure we follow Sieg closer than the other characters but excluding characters like Taki, Sophitia, Raph, Ivy and Xianghua for example would mean a vastly different storyline, one that would simply lump Soulcalibur into the generic category like other fighters.

I dont think we should worry really about the story in Soulcalibur6. The stories in SC1-SC4 have been good and SC5 only sucked because of time restraints. They were forced into the "good guy vs bad guy" model and it only seemed like there was a "chosen one" (Pat) because they had to cut the story way short.

I don't think it would be possible to make all characters appear in one story mode (Pretty much what SCV tried to do).
They should just do it like they always did,before SCV;every character with his/her good & bad ending.
Because some characters' stories are way too far to be connected together.

I wouldnt mind a 'silly' storyline just as an excuse to get all characters old and new into the roster. At the end of time Zasalamel is wondering the earth when all over human life has long died out (oh the burden of immortality) dragging behind him a scythe shaped soul edge. He does some w i z a r d m a g i c which creates a crazy time portal throwing all souls that have ever interacted with the soul edge throughout time to shift through time & space to battle each other.

There we have it, an excuse for all fighters new and old to be in the roster (and has a good excuse for robo-yoshimitsu to be in it!) Ultra street fighter IV has 44 chars, Cally could do it too. Could have multiple skins for different time periods too (real old vampire Raph and young cocky prince Raph etc)

I wouldnt mind a 'silly' storyline just as an excuse to get all characters old and new into the roster. At the end of time Zasalamel is wondering the earth when all over human life has long died out (oh the burden of immortality) dragging behind him a scythe shaped soul edge. He does some w i z a r d m a g i c which creates a crazy time portal throwing all souls that have ever interacted with the soul edge throughout time to shift through time & space to battle each other.

That's really... A good idea actually. Hopefully we'll get some news soon, because I'm dying to go back into the SoulCalibur world (yesterday I was playing GW2 and saw a player named Sophitia Pyrrha, console gamers are not legion online).

I'm hoping for Hoshino to bring back the Soul back in the series, yet his ecchi fetish keeps creeping me out. Wait and see, but there's still hope. "The Legend will never die."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back