Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idk why you guys are so stuck on hentai artists doing work on costumes. One of Bamco's best fighting game designs (Asuka's P3 in Tekken 5) was done by a hentai artist (Ogure, or Oh Great!). It's the direction of the art that matters most, not necessarily who does it.
Its really just about direction of what the designs go and choosing the best ones for the in-universe, and not the ones just to appeal to a certain market.

Not exactly sure what they are doing with Megaman... Megaman 9 and 10 were fun, so why did they do the whole -> Back to Retro and then back to what made people quit playing Megaman again?

Not exactly sure what they are doing with Megaman... Megaman 9 and 10 were fun, so why did they do the whole -> Back to Retro and then back to what made people quit playing Megaman again?
Yeah, I just watched the trailer, and I'm no Megaman fan, but even I was a bit disappointed seeing the 3D.
So long as the use it for something, I'm sure people will manage.

2017 has been such a shitty year for games, I haven't bought a single game that was released this year. I hope all this good news results in good games, because there's only so much longer I can stomach Overwatch.

(Oh wait, Sonic Mania was pretty good. 1 point!)

Last edited:
Yeah, I just watched the trailer, and I'm no Megaman fan, but even I was a bit disappointed seeing the 3D.

2017 has been such a shitty year for games, I haven't bought a single game that was released this year. I hope all this good news results in good games, because there's only so much longer I can stomach Overwatch.

Were we in the same year? Because the first 4 months of the year were overwhelmingly filled with great games.

White-Man-Blinking-GIF.gif

Soul Calibur 6 needs both a cinematic story and arcade endings for each character like Mortal Kombat. When it comes to attracting casuals to the game, neither option will be good enough by itself.

I still have about ten pages worth of posts to read and loving it. Anyway, even though this post may not be relevant to the current topic, I am going to go ahead and mention this.

I am currently playing SoulCalibur III since I have yet to unlock everything and had to mention how rich and full the "tales of souls" mode feels. With several branching paths, in-game cutscenes and lots of text to read, it is, in my opinion, a cut above the rest of the series. The unlockables are also fantastic. It also includes "chronicles of the sword" which let you use your created characters.

I can go on about how complete Soul Calibur III feels, but you all know that already. If SoulCalibur VI is comparable to this game in terms of content, I will be very, very happy.

If having a ton of text to read is their only way of fitting a ton of story, I am for it. Sure, throw in some cutscenes to fluff it up. The game needs a cinematic opening, ofcourse. I love the openings to this series.

2017 has been such a shitty year for games
Bandai Namco released tons of niche anime games (i mean not everyone knows them) but can't make Sailor Moon Musou (Sailor Moon knows everyone). I am 100% sure that Sailor Moon Musou will sell like hotcakes.
sailor-moon-press-release.jpg

Bandai Namco released tons of niche anime games (i mean not everyone knows them) but can't make Sailor Moon Musou (Sailor Moon knows everyone). I am 100% sure that Sailor Moon Musou will sell like hotcakes.
View attachment 47400

I finally caught up to you guys... it took me all night.

I would much prefer a Sailor Moon 2D fighting game. I recently picked up the Fire Emblem Musou title and I guess I am starting to get burnt out on that particular style. Don't get me wrong... I would still buy a Sailor Moon Musou title... but I wouldn't be as excited.

Part of me wonders how they will implement Bangoo into the Sailor Moon canon. As everyone knows... after Bangoo is revealed in SoulCalibur VI, all the other publishers will want him in their games as a guest character.

Or as the main character. I don't know.

Last edited:
I'm going to just come out and say this since I've heard it from two sources now and have been given the clearance to say so, and that's that Talim is slated to be in the game.

Based on research and surveys, Talim is very popular with people that only play single player content and did not purchase or have actually even played many Soul Calibur games since II, and some rarely play fighting games. But they really love the character, and a character that has a strong following can't be overlooked, and was another one of the main factors of criticism towards SCV's roster.
Her return in Soul Calibur VI is due to a combination of these factors, most notably and obviously having topped that character survey back in 2015.
When you want to win back the casuals and get them interested in your game, even if it's something like a character, logic would normally dictate that you listen to it. And they did.

In my own experience, I have noticed that most Talim fans are kind of very specific and have their different sectors, but the commonality is her being very popular with casual fans. I've personally met a great deal of people who like and played Soul Calibur throughout the years that, for various reasons, be they male or female, just really liked Talim. So bringing her back is a great move all around, whether people like her or not, or question her inclusion due to past viability.

However, it's what they decide to do with her that's the most curious to me....

Speaking solely about Soul Calibur V, I recall that there was quite a lot of fan curiosity regarding Talim aging 17 years for that back then (being 31 years old on there, had she been on it) but that obviously didn't happen as she wasn't on the game at all, which was still to the day an odd move due to her age being only 16 prior to SCV, so that would not have been an "issue." I will come out and say I don't know why they didn't use her on V.
Maybe they were afraid to age her? I'm not sure.
Maybe they had thought aging her would somehow kill her appeal?
Which isn't the case at all because people were very engaged and curious trying to imagine what she'd look like as an adult and a full blown wind priestess, which her design could have reflected.
I am personally intrigued how they will go with her. If they will feel they have to retain her "image" as being the "kid" of the series still, or just make her a short adult.

I'll tell you right now that I was not told anything in regards to her age yet, and how they will be handling that, hence why I'm discussing this, and likely to create a discussion because of that for people analyze and talk about until I, or we find out.
But I personally hope they take the shot and don't fall back on some kind of excuse like "wind magic" or some kind of time travely Astral Chaos stuff or whatever to explain why she looks the same as she did on IV, and is still only 16 years old.
I feel like that would be regressive and stunted, as the character needs forward evolution at this point to make a more triumphant return because it would be even more emotionally impactful for her fans to see her return and have changed, to some meaningful extent. One that doesn't lose fans, but makes more.
Like I have said, I don't know if they will be doing that yet, but I would approve of that more than keeping her as she was.
So I will take the personal stance of saying that it would be far more interesting to see her mature into her role as a wind priestess.... and be better tier wise to placate her fans and help create new ones for the character, and additionally have some moveset tweaks to express the character development and age.

I will furthermore state that I would be genuinely surprised if they bring her back after winning that character poll, and don't decide to get her some serious spotlight in the happenings of the story to sustain her fans by making her quite important in the game's story to some extent.

This is so weird, the page numbers keep increasing and increasing. I'll say that it's great and all but I'm still gonna keep my expectations low, I strongly feel that I want to see it announced for myself, rather than hearing stuff about SC6.

Alright, a good sign that Hoshino is correcting Daishi's mistakes. I can't wait for the Talim haters to get salty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back