Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to mention:
zwei.jpg

I don't know whose posts you're reading but like I said no one I knew ever noticed anything in SC2, it was there just barely commented on, in SC4 yes people did start to take notice but as I said I never did and I didn't play it enough with anyone else to make a judgment about how MUCH they were noticing, but it seemed to me they just didn't care about SC by this point. I'm just telling you what I saw.

SC3 was a decline for the game as a whole and I only ever played it once on PS2. The SC4 tournaments I watched had people more like me watching who weren't paying attention to any of that but focusing on the gameplay. As I've described I have no issue with how they present their characters just don't push it in my face like they did with those ads. I never saw any advertising for SC4 in this country whatsoever I simply bought it when I saw it in a shop some time after it was released and I had finally gotten a PS3 to play it on. Had never played it before.

And yes, gameplay does trump all, for me, as I'm the only one I can make that judgement on for sure, as I described it. Maybe all there is left is a horde of perverts out there who care more for things like Ivy's cleavage than gameplay and by the looks of this forum at least you may be right, but I prefer to hold out more hope than that.

SC4 was played by so few people that the only ones left still playing in tournament were there for the gameplay. Unless you live in Japan, I don't know how you could have such an issue with the SCV ad compared to what was in SC4 with the character designs, breast physics and exploding clothing which is in your face every time you play or used a customized character. Ivy's 1P is so bad in that game that people switched to her 2P.

People who complain about sexualization in games need a reality check, sex sells. And lets not pretend males in SC are not sexualized as fuck, case in point Rock. And lets be real, Algol was wearing tighty whities in V, it is not the females, the character design in SC a lot of times it is meant to represent their personality.

As a gay guy, I'm glad most dudes are shirtless in some level.

Algol is in his underwear because of Urien.

The problem is when the series goes overboard with its sexualization because people don't take the game seriously when that happens. We only have two characters announced and look at how much of a topic it's become with people trying to turn it into a battleground.

I'm fine with having a couple of characters who fill that role or if people want to customize their characters to make them sexy, but it becomes an issue when the game makes it a focus like they started with the slo mo shots of Sophie's cleavage.

Sex sells, but so does substance.

Oh, my, its almost revealing... that part...

I said in another thread, I will say it again

Bring Z.W.E.I back because he was the hot one.
Nobody could match Yun-Seong in SC4.

Man I hate the armor break in this game already. Wish it was like SCIV's at least.
SC4's system was terrible. You'd never break the whole armor, there was no indication of how much it was damaged until it broke and you could never control it. Keeping the upper/mid/lower armor differentiation from SC4, but the requirement to hit specific attacks to break from SC5 makes it a healthy mechanic, allowing it to be properly used and countered.

We only have two characters announced and look at how much of a topic it's become with people trying to turn it into a battleground.

Only a vocal minority, but with social media so accessible it is easy for the loudest to be heard (not necessarily the best points made, but relying on hashtags)

Algol is in his underwear because of Urien.

The problem is when the series goes overboard with its sexualization because people don't take the game seriously when that happens. We only have two characters announced and look at how much of a topic it's become with people trying to turn it into a battleground.

I'm fine with having a couple of characters who fill that role or if people want to customize their characters to make them sexy, but it becomes an issue when the game makes it a focus like they started with the slo mo shots of Sophie's cleavage.

Sex sells, but so does substance.

But this type of discussion happens with every game now, it used to happen if the game insulted some christian value, that was the old issue, people fussing about.

Now people are insulted by fanservice, which like always, will make a few game journalist pressed as fuck, but it will still sell because only a minority of the buyers would be so insulted they wouldn't buy the game. I don't know about you, but substance is found in gameplay and game modes for a fighting game. People so easily forget SC is made up by Japanese people, they don't know the western sensibilities, I could easily show how any female in Calibur has a male counterpart design wise.

Also, one slow mo of Sophie's cleavage in one trailer, I'm sure you and I have very different definitions of focus.

So I'm just looking at the SC6 reveal trailer again paying attention to the stage details. 0:12 we see some statues in the background holding some weapons (looks like staff/rod) Kilik/Mina hint? We see them again at 0:21. I know this could mean nothing at all considering when we had SC5 algol stage one was holding a scythe like Zasalamel (what a tease!) Figured I'd bring it up

Only a vocal minority, but with social media so accessible it is easy for the loudest to be heard (not necessarily the best points made, but relying on hashtags)

Besides the trailer and people using Sophie's cleavage in their YouTube previews, there wasn't much talk until Ivy was brought up in the media interview last week.

I've seen enough of this stuff in SC4 that I'm not liking the path that SC6 is starting to go in.

On the subject of sexualization and nudity, I find it ridiculous that it (along with language) is seen as more taboo than violence and gore...

I find this ridiculous too, but that's how the west operates.

But this type of discussion happens with every game now, it used to happen if the game insulted some christian value, that was the old issue, people fussing about.

Now people are insulted by fanservice, which like always, will make a few game journalist pressed as fuck, but it will still sell because only a minority of the buyers would be so insulted they wouldn't buy the game. I don't know about you, but substance is found in gameplay and game modes for a fighting game. People so easily forget SC is made up by Japanese people, they don't know the western sensibilities, I could easily show how any female in Calibur has a male counterpart design wise.

Also, one slow mo of Sophie's cleavage in one trailer, I'm sure you and I have very different definitions of focus.

It starts with one trailer that gets shown to hundreds of thousands of people and people reusing this screenshot to get people's attention.

At this point of the game, the focus should be on the gameplay instead of Sophie's pillowy cleavage as she floats in the air.

Soulcalibur-VI_2017_12-08-17_012.jpg

It's one of the most offensive things about SC5... The series is better than this... As if SC5 needed anything else bringing it down. I don't know why this is all anyone seems to notice about the games anymore but I've noticed it very much since playing SC4 with others. In the old games all we noticed was the gameplay but in the new games all anyone notices is the boobs. Maybe it's the step up in terms of realistic graphics so it's practically unavoidable.

I've nothing against characters having sexuality which can be expressed in their attire, it's just when you start pushing it in my face or worse declaring it a reason I should buy the game rather than well, the freaking gameplay, I draw a line.
Yeah, the way the add was done seemed pretty insulting to people's intelligence. A full body Ivy or Sophitia would have gotten the same point across, but just a close up of her butt and breasts, seems to feel like fans are stereotyped as just being horny kids who care more about that than the actual game itself. People here have shown they care more about the characters they like than their chest sizes, especially considering Talim was number 1 on the polls. Talim being flat chested for one. Using full-body adds just makes the marketing at least subtle enough for people to decide for themselves where their attention goes, as opposed to it being forced in like that. I mean their bodies aren't invisible to us, and the costumes are already fanservicy enough.

You never know, they might've intended for him to be included since the game was rushed and all.
I think there was data of him locked in the game’s beta files but I guess they couldn’t finish him due to it being close to release and SCV’s support dying off in less than a year.

I could be wrong about that but at this point in time it’s like who cares since that was almost 6 years ago.

SC4 was played by so few people that the only ones left still playing in tournament were there for the gameplay. Unless you live in Japan, I don't know how you could have such an issue with the SCV ad compared to what was in SC4 with the character designs, breast physics and exploding clothing which is in your face every time you play or used a customized character. Ivy's 1P is so bad in that game that people switched to her 2P.
My only point was Namco could and probably should do better. Like I said no one would've noticed the ad in the past with no internet but they did and everywhere I brought up or saw SC5 brought up online outside here there was talk of it so I stopped bringing it up. SC4 probably did start the trend that lead to Namco doing it and even if they toned it down in SC5 the ads left a taint. It's not really that I personally take issue with the ads, I was happy to just avoid them, the point is the wider effect they had.

I never really played Ivy in SC4, neither did I actually use customs although I did of course see (tried hard to unsee) the exploding clothing. But that was online nonsense if you went to a tournament there were no customs and as you said Ivy did have a P2 outfit. Maybe if it weren't for the Star Wars characters I'd have noticed but with SC4 they were all I ever saw people complaining about.

But no use crying over spilt milk as they say.
Yeah, the way the add was done seemed pretty insulting to people's intelligence. A full body Ivy or Sophitia would have gotten the same point across, but just a close up of her butt and breasts, seems to feel like fans are stereotyped as just being horny kids who care more about that than the actual game itself. People here have shown they care more about the characters they like than their chest sizes, especially considering Talim was number 1 on the polls. Talim being flat chested for one. Using full-body adds just makes the marketing at least subtle enough for people to decide for themselves where their attention goes, as opposed to it being forced in like that. I mean their bodies aren't invisible to us, and the costumes are already fanservicy enough.
I hope it goes a little better this time.

SC4's system was terrible. You'd never break the whole armor, there was no indication of how much it was damaged until it broke and you could never control it. Keeping the upper/mid/lower armor differentiation from SC4, but the requirement to hit specific attacks to break from SC5 makes it a healthy mechanic, allowing it to be properly used and countered.
I meant visually.

I wonder If they plan to have any sort of graphical/resolution advantage on the PS4 Pro version, I'm surprised no-one has asked about this in the interviews (at least I've not seen questions regarding it).

Still not sure If I should get PS4 version(might be more players?) or pc master race

I'm just going to say for educational purposes....
>implying the series hasn't had sexual tones since the beginning in Soul Edge/Blade when Voldo, naked Sophitia in the intro, and had alternate versions of her in bathing suits called Sophitia! and Sophitia!! exist
>Cloth physics in place for Sophitia and Seong Mi-Na all the way back on Soul Edge/Blade that resulted in upskirts
>Ivy being introduced on Soul Calibur to round out the bondage duality since Voldo represents the gimp aspect and she the dominatrix
>Ivy and Voldo just.... being Ivy and Voldo
>Jiggle physics on Soul Calibur II
>Cassandra attacking people with her ass
>Link and Talim spanking people on Soul Calibur II
https://imgur.com/94HmdPy
https://imgur.com/Y9Akb8v
(Talim kept Piggyback Tulison in her appearances since)

This is just keeping it to the old games as examples of this not being a "new" thing with the series having these kinds of things in the series.
We're not even getting into how Rock's a bear, Yun-Seong progressively wore less clothes with each appearance he made, ZWEI's unbuttoned pants and being intentionally designed to be sexy, Algol's "no time for pants" design on V, and SCIV lowkey playing to the ecchiness as a whole with clothing destruction and its character designs on that.
I'm probably even overlooking things too. Astaroth could probably be viewed as a kind of medieval brand homoeroticism (leather, spikes, Mad Max villain type face mask) for his most iconic/original design.
But the takeaway is that, sexual innuendos, sexy characters/designs, and sexual things is nothing new to the series. It's been there since the beginning.
To the people complaining about it now, acting as if it's new and hasn't always been part of the series' DNA to different extents to be playful with sexuality, include fanservice, and not take itself super seriously, it really makes me wonder how much you did play these games after all to not have noticed it.

my problems come when characters are OVER-sexualised and that includes Voldo
I sincerely don't get why so much people bring up Voldo on this, I mean it's reasonable, but I don't understand it emotionally I guess.
I never seen him as sexualised in any way. I just always (since SE) thought that this sensory deprivation was part of his training/religion/some weird pact and never seen it in a sexual way.
If you, for a minute, get rid of your "sexuality levels" scanner that shows high BDSM pressure on him - his fighting style is pretty brutal and (aside from wheel move and hand-carousel-grab which I always seen as more magical stuff of his abilities that he got through this training) makes sense considering that he can only feel the world through vibrations and apparently lived fully bandaged more than half of his life. Crawling on floor makes it easier to feel what's happening around and attacking legs with his claws, while turned back stance is not weird either, considering that he doesn't see world through his eyes, so it's not really much different whether he faces his opponent backwards or not.
Try moving with your eyes closed in normal way, it's really awkward and helpless. Now try for a momvent to move in that flowing way he does, it feels much better.
I always found him creepy in a cool and brutal way, not in sexual one, despite heavy BDSM undertones.
I never really noticed how blatantly over-sexualised Ivy is in SC4
Tbh until SCV's weird campaign tha made some parts of the game stand out in a wrong way I always seen her looks as part of her character (and even ridiculous, by opinions of many, SCIV costume was more than fine by me).
I guess the main problem with her looks in SCV is not looks (even though this could sound weird), but how straightforward her gameplay became.
Characters a defined by their looks, personality and fighting-style and once something's off - everything else starts looking weird too.
I think there was data of him locked in the game’s beta files but I guess they couldn’t finish him due to it being close to release and SCV’s support dying off in less than a year.
I remember that too. There were Talim's and Zasalamel's files in the game if I recall correctly.
At this point of the game, the focus should be on the gameplay instead of Sophie's pillowy cleavage as she floats in the air.
That's just one screen, of course with this attack under such angle breasts would be seen, there is nothing wrong with that.
And judgung by videos and little info we know, the gameplay stuff is done pretty well too. It's not like we can't have both.
SC characters were always sexualised yes, but to be honest I always thought they done it the right and fitting for series way. It's not going overboard and never were. It's done in nice and playful way and only for characters that fit for that. It's not like we are even close to DoA in that regard or anything. Some healthy amounts of nuce fanservice never hurts and is even good for the game.
As for whole journalists asking about sexual stuff, well it's 2017 (nearly 2018) that's the first thing they ask about ANY game (and it's not like they would ever ask about technicall stuff anyway, considering that most of the time they don't understand any of it and something like "Ivy's boobs are world's treat number one of 2018" is a nice clickbait material)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back