Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's possible they bring back Hwang as a replacement clone of Yun. Keep the Hwang signature moves that have been with him in his Mitsu clone and X clone days, and fill in the gaps with Yun's moveset this time.

The funny thing is that they technically already did this. I am not familiar with Mitsu's movelist yet but I think Hwang's A+B is actually from Mitsu.

So when you factor in Assassin in Soul Calibur II, you have his staple Hwang moves, a lot of good X moves, the A+B Mitsu move, and then Yun's moves to fill out the rest.

Granted it's just one Mitsu move but they really shouldn't take any more from him!

I think it's possible they bring back Hwang as a replacement clone of Yun. Keep the Hwang signature moves that have been with him in his Mitsu clone and X clone days, and fill in the gaps with Yun's moveset this time.
Not really, at least not this time. With the reboot, they could easily make Yun-Seong fit in the original Soul Calibur story by changing his birthdate, which is likely what they'll do with Talim (she has been leaked). If they include Hwang, he will not be there as a replacement.

I actually think there is even more reason to have Yun than Hwang now. Hwang only came around to bring Seong Mi-Na home and she's supposedly doubtful. Meanwhile, Yun had his own motivations related to Soul Edge and he ended up forging a friendship with Talim, a character who is certainly going to be in. Yun has always had a unique move list while, if we're being honest, other than a handful of moves Hwang has been a Mitsu clone (SB), an X clone (SC), a Yun clone (SC2), and then a character with his own original but jankily animated moves (SC3). Just give Yun 3AAB, 1B, and a throw or two from Hwang, a slightly more serious personality and call it a day. And I say this as someone who likes Hwang's character more than Yun's.

He's an easier fit in terms of storyline and movelist.

You're thinking of Arthur.
No.

The original arcade version of Soul Edge Only had the following eight characters:

529e10135b5f00d51f9330d8b130539b.png

With Hwang being a model swap for Mitsurugi in the Korean version since that country had strict censorship laws for Japanese military imagery well into the late 90s. He was later included in all regional releases of Ver. II, a balance patch which also added GI, alternate costumes, and a playable version of Cervantes (the final boss). This was the version on which the PS1 port is based. Hwang gained a few useless flip kicks, but other than that he remained a Mitsu clone.
souledge-selection-screen.png
The bizarre thing is that, instead of keeping him as the Mitsu replacement for the Korean version of SC1, they instead made him a Xianghua clone and made a new Mitsu clone: Arthur. Interestingly, this version of the game features Hwang as the protagonist and Xianghua as the timed unlock, instead of the other way around as it was in the other releases. This is presumably because he was a popular character in Korea.

soulclbr.png

As a curious aside, the international arcade release of SC Ver. C (the final balance patch before the Dreamcast port) included this Korean version of the roster by mistake. This means that even if you live outside of Korea there's a 1/3 chance that your local SC cabinet back in the day had Hwang and Arthur instead of Xiangua and Mitsurugi.

To perhaps shed some light on who's whose clone:

The SC1 moveset is clearly derived from Wushu routines for the double-edged Chinese Jian (X's weapon), not the single-edged Dao (Hwang's weapon). Yunsung's moveset on the other hand was actually mo-capped from Wushu routines for the Dao. See the corresponding videos which they mo-capped for X's and Hwang's exhibitions respectively:

From a martial arts and motion capturing point of view, claiming that X is the clone makes no sense at all. Neither do some of Hwang's moves with a single-edged (and heavier) sword in hand. Yunsung was the first one to have a moveset that was really (mostly/entirely) based on the Dao Broadsword.

EDIT: Keep in mind that the Jian moves shown above were not yet present in SE/SB, although Hwang was still wielding a Jian himself. Back then, he used it similarly to how Mitsu used his Katana.

Last edited:
If worse comes to worse I wouldn't mind Hwang becoming DLC.

I think the problem with him is that he's pretty much bland/ lacks a particular compared to the OG cast (between a samurai, a knight, a barbarian, a ninja, a not-really-Amazon/Paladin (who is technically fantastic in that her fighting ability was gifted by Greek Gods), a pirate with a cursed weapon, and whatever Voldo is supposed to represent besides the token freak every fighting game seems to have.) Mi-Na doesn't get screwed as often since her weapon differs from her promoted-to-main clone and probably gender. Li Long was just a generic Chinese guy. Besides Inferno/Soul Edge.

Kilik, Hilde, Xianghua, and arguably Talim and Setsuka are among the few more mundane characters added afterwards to at least fulfill certain stock archetypes. SCI introduced a golem to replace the barbarian and a dominatrix whose pretty much a witch. Maxi is kind of unique-ish in a way but stands out as an Elvis impersonator. The knight now has the cursed weapon and got a hideous arm. Yoshimitsu (Tekken's token freak who happens to fit in) and Lizzy (self-explanatory) were unlocked. Edgemaster would count too but gets those inhuman abilities due to his nature as a mimic even though the first few games had the more normal fighting styles. But how could he fly or whatever he does impersonating Cervantes? SCV makes Edgemaster's supernatural traits more obvious at least...

II had a priestess of an obscure religion who may have slight magical abilities despite not relying on them in combat. Seems fairly normal. A proper user of Hwang's swords appeared to replace the poor fellow. Wouldn't really count him since he's considered a clone/replacement. Same with Cassandra, but she wasn't gifted Sophitia's strength and hence uses a more improvised fighting style. Raph started a stock character, but became a vampire. Amy is just a fanservice character without the vampire stuff Raph gets later.

III's Setsuka would have a normal style but it seemed quite gimmicky with the umbrella she sheathes her sword in. Zasalamel is magical (despite not using it in combat) and I'm pretty sure that scythe isn't really a practical weapon. Were ring blades even a thing? Tira also looks like a Cirque du Soleil reject and becomes a supernatural being. And some of the revamped styles got more fantastic abilities like Nightmare and Lizzy.

Don't get me started with Algol. Hilde is pretty normal for SC if you count being a fully armored woman as normal in those games.

V... nope, just nope. We thought we finally got a longsword user until it was revealed he had a Stand or whatever while the other character is an outright mage who may or may not be Amy. Otherwise mundane fighting styles became gimmicky half the time (edgelord, cowardly, and crazy versions of sword-and-board,) wacky take on the polearm, more ninja magic incorporated since the new ninja is possessed by a demon.)

Last edited:
arcade.png japan.jpg gfs_44551_2_4.jpg online.jpg

I know SC2 comes from a different era of gaming. But some people want to get there hopes up for more characters than expected then enjoy these pics of Soul Calibur 2 ..to see how the devs were kind enough to give so many extra characters.

Edit: Seeing that SC2 character select screen change over the releases is truly a beautiful thing.

Last edited:
Still not sure how they managed to mess up the character placements so badly with HD Online, though. They broke up the trio of Kilik, Xianghua, and Maxi, also Mitsurugi and Taki lost their parallel.

This video is the first of my series showcasing the differences and similarities between soul calibur clones. Sorry for the poor quality but video editing isn't my thing.....

Certainly reinforces PS probably picking Yun over Hwang for SCVI.....despite Hwang evolving to get his own movelist in SCIIIAE. Twas too late for him.

I honestly think you did a great job. I am already looking forward to your next videos. Seeing the animations side by side was a real treat for me. Keep up the good work!

Earlier I stated that Hwang may have copied Mitsu's A+B. I turned on SC2 and I might be mistaken because Mitsu starts his A+B with his left side and Assassin does his A+B with his right side so it's possible that they just look similar but aren't copy + paste.

I also want to reiterate just how fantastic Soul Calibur II is. The game has aged excellently. If I was introducing Soul Calibur to someone it would be with SCII. It completely outclasses SCI and even features every style from that game. If SCIII was more polished and wasn't so buggy I'd put it on the top despite it having so much amazing offline content.

Literally they should just copy SCII's offline content structure for SCVI. If it's too difficult and time consuming to do SCIII multiple endings then just do the SCII/SCIV style of endings via arcade mode/story mode. Give us a Weapon Master mode/Challenge or goofy mode gauntlet.

Survival + Team Battle + Time Attack + Weapon Demo + Character Profile.

Bam. SCVI Is by default better than SCV and IV in terms of content. I know it's technically lazy to copy SCII but it is the gold standard...

Earlier I stated that Hwang may have copied Mitsu's A+B. I turned on SC2 and I might be mistaken because Mitsu starts his A+B with his left side and Assassin does his A+B with his right side so it's possible that they just look similar but aren't copy + paste.

I also want to reiterate just how fantastic Soul Calibur II is. The game has aged excellently. If I was introducing Soul Calibur to someone it would be with SCII. It completely outclasses SCI and even features every style from that game. If SCIII was more polished and wasn't so buggy I'd put it on the top despite it having so much amazing offline content.

Literally they should just copy SCII's offline content structure for SCVI. If it's too difficult and time consuming to do SCIII multiple endings then just do the SCII/SCIV style of endings via arcade mode/story mode. Give us a Weapon Master mode/Challenge or goofy mode gauntlet.

Survival + Team Battle + Time Attack + Weapon Demo + Character Profile.

Bam. SCVI Is by default better than SCV and IV in terms of content. I know it's technically lazy to copy SCII but it is the gold standard...
I agree. It wouldn't matter that it was content we'd already seen in the past because at least it would actually BE content, something that was lacking from the last two games.

Personally I would love a Tales of Souls style mode. It showed you didn't need cutscenes to tell a cool story and they were able to have a good 12 battle long story for each character. Compare that to SCIV's "Story Mode" (which takes all of 10 minutes to complete...) and, well, there is no comparison. ToS is infinitely better. I'd love a Chronicles of the Sword mode the most due to how unique it was and the fact that your Custom Characters could be the stars, but I doubt we'll see anything that innovative and unique again :/ I never got a chance to play the original Soulcalibur (nor Soul Edge/Blade) so I can't judge the modes in that quite as much but I'd happily see any of them return so I could experience them.

As for the Hwang VS Yun stuff, I feel like faithfully speaking it should be Hwang, since he was the original character, but I can see why replacing him with Yun might make more sense given he's been around longer and people apparently like him (personally I hate the cocky little s**t and he always kicked my ass in SCIV). As per my favoritism for huge rosters, I'd just put them both in, lol, but since Hwang didn't get much chance to shine, I'd probably rather see him :) They will probably give us Yun though, if they give us that style at all.

Tale of Souls was genius to be honest, it gave a sense of travel to the journey and while most of the texts were copy and pasted, the ones in between where showed character interactions were pretty awesome. Also, it will never happen in today's gaming culture if you are not developed by From, but a special boss for a very specific path? Come on, that was awesome.

I started a new save on SCIII, and I've been replaying CotS. I'd forgotten how much fun it was to build up a character as you're buying the parts and unlocking the styles for each class.
I only really made the file to check on something, and I've ended up spending hours on an almost complete playthrough. Such a fun mode... if PS can't bring it back, it's on my list of dream future projects to make something similar.
Tale of Souls was genius to be honest, it gave a sense of travel to the journey and while most of the texts were copy and pasted, the ones in between where showed character interactions were pretty awesome. Also, it will never happen in today's gaming culture if you are not developed by From, but a special boss for a very specific path? Come on, that was awesome.
As it was before I had the internet, it was ages before I ever heard the music change... I always remember the one time it did and Xianghua was ill or something, and I never knew how I did it.
That was what I made the file to do now that I think about it... to actually complete one of the Night Terror paths. Still haven't managed...

Last edited:
You guys keep mentioning NRS. I admit that I didn't try MK9 very much but 2D fighters just feel weird and stiff to me. If the games really have a lot of content maybe I should give them another chance

I forgot about those! Weren't their hidden bosses too, like Night Terror, Greed and Miser? They were impossible (for someone of my poor skill) but boy was it epic to find them.

You guys keep mentioning NRS. I admit that I didn't try MK9 very much but 2D fighters just feel weird and stiff to me. If the games really have a lot of content maybe I should give them another chance
Nope, they're definitely weird and stiff even by 2D fighter standards, and have appallingly awful animation to boot. They do give you a lot more to do than any other fighting game these days, but I wouldn't recommend them at all personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back