Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Making new females or simply including female characters they've already made would be limiting themselves creatively? Did you even read what you just wrote? A character's gender is not a creative choice unless it's directly pertaining to their story like Mitsurugi's is as he is a samurai. Just admit you're sexist and move on.
+11111
+ Soul Calibur is so good at making female characters. It's sad to see how people want to keep a majority of male characters lmao.

Making new females or simply including female characters they've already made would be limiting themselves creatively? Did you even read what you just wrote? A character's gender is not a creative choice unless it's directly pertaining to their story like Mitsurugi's is as he is a samurai. Just admit you're sexist and move on.

Okay, I'm sexist.

Adding new female characters if that's their creative goal is fine, trying to force gender parity is not. That's like if they said "Okay we need to add three lizard characters for the next game." Well what if they can only think of one? Doesn't matter because they said there would be three, so they have to come up with two more to meet the lizard quota. They would be limiting themselves creatively by trying to force a certain number of a certain kind of character into the game if it doesn't naturally come to them.

+11111
+ Soul Calibur is so good at making female characters. It's sad to see how people want to keep a majority of male characters lmao.

The females that do exist are so good and almost all of them are iconic of the series. There are so many forgettable male characters that act as fillers to the story that are saved while great female characters with lots of story potential (eg Hilde) are snubbed and probs gonna be left out of the new game.

Okay, I'm sexist.

Adding new female characters if that's their creative goal is fine, trying to force gender parity is not. That's like if they said "Okay we need to add three lizard characters for the next game." Well what if they can only think of one? Doesn't matter because they said there would be three, so they have to come up with two more to meet the lizard quota. They would be limiting themselves creatively by trying to force a certain number of a certain kind of character into the game.
Wait, we're talking about women, not lizards ?
It's just a gender, I don't understand why/how it is limitating to create a female character instead of a male character ?

If the creators' first thoughts on creating a character is not of their backstory, fighting style or personality, and is rather their gender, then they have even more of a choice of making female characters.

Even if their first thought is to make a male character, they can easily change it to female later on. Take Lara Croft for example, the most successful, most iconic female main character in video game history with over 58 million sales to her name, and she first started as a male concept. Please go on to tell me that you can't consciously choose to make a female character and it will go wrong.

Edit : If you do want to extend this stupid argument, be my guest, but don't pollute the forum any further. My inbox is open.

Last edited:
About the male/female thing, i'd say 60%/40% or 65%/35% would be the good balance.

I never take too much attention on this though, my main concern is having an overall nice variety in the roster with each character being unique and awesome on its genre while fitting the SC universe, and without having waste of slots with mimics, clones or some other ass looking bonuses /cas characters.

The idea of changing the sex of an already existing character seems pretty odd tho.

Speaking of Xianglian...do you guys think we'll see more of her in SCVI's story?

I hate how they show all those grab animations in the trailers. It seems like a waste. Most of them haven't even changed since the character's debut. lol
I hope PS adds some new throws for everyone in SCVI. It gets old seeing the same throw animations for the past 20 years.

This whole "historical accuracy" argument is completely illogical considering that there are two sentient swords at the center of the story that can create mystical armageddon. It's a fantasy series in a vaguely historically accurate setting. Basically any fantasy series breaks the rules of "historical accuracy."

For example, the recent Wonder Woman movie was set during World War I, and was praised for its historical setting and depiction of the war. However, one of the secondary villains was a woman toxicology doctor, which would have been highly uncommon in WWI era Europe. And there's that whole bit about how Wonder Woman is part god and all that. Women in fantasy can be included in roles they would not normally have in true historical fiction (e.g. any of the women already in the cast). My point is, fantasy doesn't have to be gritty and realistic all the time because it exists in a selectively accurate universe more often than not - which means it doesn't have to include double-or-more men than women.

LOL I love reading this, great stuff people. :)

I really love when i got back at home and have a lot of pages to read here, even tho there is no news but having discussion of whatever SC stuffs is always cool, God Lord i didn't really realize how much i missed Soul Calibur!!

Literally no one suggested that.

Hum Ok, wasn't sure what to understand from this;

Any character in the game save a few whose roles are gender locked like Mitsu being a samurai could have been women, Maxi coulda been a pirate lesbian called Maxine (LOL) and Astaroth could have been Astara.

But anyway lol

BTW i was thinking, i've played barely that SC game on Wii back then, and there was one main character on it, like a young guy or something, for those who actually played the game you though he was interesting? (i don't even really remember if he was a fighter of not lol)

Hum Ok, wasn't sure what to understand from this

That's okay! Maybe I worded it badly. I meant they could have been created as women and their story and personality would remain the same without anything needing to be changed. I was just trying to show that characters don't need to be male to fit a certain role of the pirate or angry ruthless lab experiment or whatever because those could literally be anyone man or woman or... lizard?
I don't want to change the gender of characters that already exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back