Soul Calibur III: European Edition

Caleb you are teh best ever!!! :)

Cool now we have a thread dedicated to SC3: Euro Edition. I should have made this thread a while ago lolz. So yeah, the Euro Version of SC3 should be the same as the Japanese one...but I'm not entirely sure.

Nice. I guess here we can talk about the game and it's changes compared to the shitty U.S version of SC3.

But I'm not sure how many people actually have the game lol.

Some changes:

Character Stuff

Xianghua:
* 66a+b guard cancel is GONE!!!!
* 1bb mid combo hit on any side (IIRC 2nd hit used to whiff somethimes)

Sophitia:
* 66b > 66a+b > 66b (and 66a+b > 66b) is NO LONGER a garunteed combo midscreen. because when you hit with 66a+b while opponent is in midair, the are pushed back hella far.

Kilik:
* 44b on ch has new stun animation. you can't 3bb launch anymore.

Mitsurugi:
* Still has his 22_88b g88_22 cancel (i think there is nothing wrong with this. since it can be stopped with most characters aa)

System Stuff/Game Mechanics

* Throw VC is still in the game it seems. My groups of friends I play with...we never used or learned it. Played Just Ownin the other day. He did it with Zasalamel while using 46b+g throw lol. Oh well, we ban it...no worries.

Cosmetic Stuff

* You can easily tell the game looks way better than the U.S version of the game.

..................................................................................................................................................

If anyone wants me to test anything in this version of the game. Just lemme know.

And yeah I do think this game is the best Calibur ever made. I enjoy playing it. And I feel more characters have a chance to win in this version of the game. It's fast paced and hella exciting.

So yeah, every comment that PhilBond referenced I meant 100%. No shame in my game...lol.

You're a good sport, man. I look forward to any other differences you can document. I may have to get this thing myself. I don't understand this part, though:

Cosmetic Stuff

* You can easily tell the game looks way better than the U.S version of the game.
In what way does the game look better? Is it because of the complications between PAL and NTSC? If you've adapted it to play on an NTSC, there shouldn't be any visible difference. If anything, you might experience frame order errors. If you're running on a VGA monitor, then I can see where you'd notice a difference, and deem it better, but that's still pretty hard for the human eye to detect.

I'm playing the game on a Sharp 20in CRT t.v. There speed of this game is totally the same as the American version (I'm not a frame junkie. so I couldn't tell you what frames are what for anything). SC3 is a fast game period (especially when u played SC4 for so long). To me...SC3: E.E looks smoother from the U.S SC3. Maybe it might just be me. I dunno.

Funny though...

I almost didn't find this thread. Cause they changed the layout of the main forum page lolz.

The European and Japanese versions are the same. We have in DR a partner who buy games from Japan and he gets a copy of the Japanese version, so a friend of mine also gets a copy of the Euro version just to see what kind of dialog can characters have in Spanish... both versions have little graphic changes from health bar color to saturation of stages in some cases, but the best change at all is the nerfing in Sophie's mad combos and X's 66B+A cancel... Ivy and Setsuka are the broken tiers in the game; Ivy can buffering her CS and SS that can even make a move after pulled the command in the pad and do the throw later just tapping B_A+G; Setsuka is faster than in SC4, JF easiest and bigger damage...

But overall the japan version is all the way more balanced than USA version and its NTSC too. I still got the 2 versions at home. But in fact SC3: AE is totally better than the last Japan/Europe version. Test it tonight and you gonna have to face the true.

-Stryker-

remember sc3 is just a faster game in general compared to sc4. WAY FASTER!!!

i think setsuka and ivy are hardly the best two characters in this game. imo the tiers in this game didn't change at all. it's just that everything that waz incredibly broke are gone/toned down.

this game is STILL extremely playable if you just ban throw VC.

Stryker doesn't know what he is talking about... Ivy is a piece of shit in SC3.

But Setsuka... she's monster. In Euro and Japanese versions she gets 150dmg after CH 33B. Her combos are also easier than in NTSC-US (such as WS B, JF umbrella). X doesn't have the 66A+b cancel but she gets 33B,1BB 110dmg combo everytime. Ivy is slightly better in Euro/Jap versions. Her WP 3A stuns on CH, and SE K-> SE BBB/5hit are guaranteed, while in NTSC-US opponent could block SE series after being launched.. lol.

Also, I have to warn everyone about 50hz mode in Euro version of SC3. If you choose this mode you get totally different game!

You get:

1) Different frame data -> half life combos
2) Some glitches removed (like Ivy's infamous SW 1_2_3B+K in 2P side... it hits for double damage. But in 50hz mode, this glitch doesn't exist!)
3) Higher resolution (on SDTV at least)
4) Slowdowns are removed completely

For example a difference in Ivy's combo (if you set the CPU to block the 2nd attack)

60hz: SW 22_88A, 66[K]-> SE K doesn't connect.
50hz: SW 22_88A, 66[K], SE K, SE 5hit JF (damage... approx 170)

In 50hz mode you can connect SE K after sw 66[K] due to some weird framedata changes. Setsuka always get 3B after CH 33B etc... this is insane. Don't play this mode.

is it safe to say that in 50hz mode the game feels LIKE SUPER SLOW? like SC4 SLOW, or slower?

either way in 50hz mode the game feels terrible IMO, kinda like u already suggested.

Stryker doesn't know what he is talking about... Ivy is a piece of shit in SC3.
That's why you never have to fight against Necro... he is the only one who could match Omega in SC3 in speed, anticipation, and more... he was the more outstanding Number 2 in the history of SC in dominican republic... we all thought that he used a auto mapped pad cause he used to do CS and SS like it was done just by tapping a single button. A player who play the most against he said: "he is cheating. He has the CS and SS mapped on the select button." But we know that he was using always a PS regular pad... that was just a joke... think about a player who can attack you from any distance with the same wildness.

As I stated before "Only a top tier player can reveal a top tier character...". To us all Ivy was a stupid whore... but I agree with you, Setsuka was better in SC3 (she was not as broken as Hilde but she was stupidly strong).

-Stryker-

When it comes to Ivy in SC3...

you cannot break her throws on reaction = she's a monster
you can break her throws on reaction (and block 22K ;] ) = she's a mediocre character

Back