Soul Calibur improvements!

Good Idea?

• Total voters

Worker-Bakery

[08] Mercenary
I had the idea that Soul Calibur would be cool if it had a energy gauge for
special attacks like for Campom vs Tatsanoko or like Street Fighter IV.
Example: Cassandra can throw her shield as a boomerang or Siegfried can launch
the enemy up in the air and do some kind of cool move!

99223_1.JPG

tatsunoko_vs_capcom_ultimate_all_st.png

1534.jpg

Good Idea for the a next upcoming Soul Calibur game?

raph should kick people in the nuts and algol should shoot 1000000000000 bubbles like a guile ultra

also inb4 close

maybe there could be some sort of gauge of the character's soul.. that can be decreased by overly blocking attacks. And when the guage is empty.. they would be vulnerable to some sort of critical attack 1-hit finish.

Also clothes should randomly break

EX moves could be a good idea I think

example: use meter to make sieg 3B do the CH launch on normal hit, etc

We could apply this to Hilde and Algol and it would probably make them balanced actually. Algol bubbles and Hilde charges. They wont be able to spam. I think everyone should have some kind of gimik behind it. I love the diversity of the characters in terms of functionality and this would greatly influence it further.

Hilde: Gives her charges
Algol: Bubbles
Zas: Greater knockback and push
Maxi: Move cancels (c'mon you predictable maxi's would cream your pants for this)
Tira: No more random mood swings. Mood is attached to the 50% mark (dark < 50 < light). Some moves would push it one way or the other, the farther it is one direction the more powerful she is. Gives a ton of options to her. Also add a stance shift to completely shift it (forcing mood change).
Nightmare: Enable Soul Charge Mode (every hit during recharges it slowly)
Ivy: All moves that don't use the sword can be done in a certain manner that the sword will somehow be involved to create a new move or string.

etc...

Only issue is how would you do CFs well? I don't want the CF system leaving...i love that fuckin things (but then again I play ivy)

I said this during SC3... I'll say it again now...

A move can be fast, damaging, ranged or safe. Pick ONLY two. No single move should have the properties of all four.

We could apply this to Hilde and Algol and it would probably make them balanced actually. Algol bubbles and Hilde charges. They wont be able to spam. I think everyone should have some kind of gimik behind it. I love the diversity of the characters in terms of functionality and this would greatly influence it further.

Hilde: Gives her charges
Algol: Bubbles
Zas: Greater knockback and push
Maxi: Move cancels (c'mon you predictable maxi's would cream your pants for this)
Tira: No more random mood swings. Mood is attached to the 50% mark (dark < 50 < light). Some moves would push it one way or the other, the farther it is one direction the more powerful she is. Gives a ton of options to her. Also add a stance shift to completely shift it (forcing mood change).
Nightmare: Enable Soul Charge Mode (every hit during recharges it slowly)
Ivy: All moves that don't use the sword can be done in a certain manner that the sword will somehow be involved to create a new move or string.

etc...

Only issue is how would you do CFs well? I don't want the CF system leaving...i love that fuckin things (but then again I play ivy)

Great! Thanks guys!

Play as the Apprentice, Vader or Yoda and you'll see what this mechanic would be like in a SC game. It seems like almost nobody ever pays attention to that force gauge and they end up running out and standing there stunned and wide open (though you are probably talking more of a traditional gauge that either lets you do the move or not). Or even at an extreme stretch of the definition, Hilde's charge moves are sorta like this as well. For the real extreme, the special vs activation ability things serve this role, using the soul gauge as their charge mechanism.

But, here's the questions you have to ask yourself about this:
-How do you gain gauge? How fast? How much do you start with? And how much does each move take?
-Does the gauge persist across rounds?
-What happens when you try to use a move that you don't have enough gauge for?

If you gain gauge by hitting the other guy, then it becomes harder and harder to make a come back. If you gain gauge by being hit, then it becomes easier to make a come back, and leads to really strange strategies of purposefully being hit or blocking to gain that bit of super or push you into a health range where your gauge counts upwards constantly.

And, really, the soul charge system from the previous games basically did this. Though it just gave moves additional damage and properties. It has the benefits of being somewhat risky to do (depends on if you can block or move around while doing it), being able to be done equally by either side, and doesn't have any strange strategies or negative feedback loops associated with it.

Naaah, the exclusion of stuff like that is one reason why I life this game.

But hey remember in Soul Blade where there was something similar to the Soul Gauge only when it dropped, you lost your weapon? And there were moves that could be executed that took up part of the gauge but did intense damage. Or something; I can't remember too well.

Or Soul Charge. Either one. =\

I would rather have the current soul guage than the soul edge weapon breaking.

I'm not really a fan of the damage output of some slow characters. If your character is slow, it needs to hit A LOT harder, as speed is more valuable than damage in 3D fighters.

Well we could scrap the current SC bar for CFs and just re-label it as Guard Meter. Give Soul Charge a seperate bar or visually condense it buy making the essence of the guard meter attached to you're health bar that changes colors similar to the current one. You have a color changing health bar and a soul guage meter for new moves or temporary effects.

I think it would be nice to treat it like SF: Alpha. You can either use the gauge to do special moves or drain it for a temporary buff. It would greatly increase the games depth ridiculously. I also stand by my gimick system rather than just make a few moves do more damage or something. Have what ever buff or attack that occurs really reflect a unique attribute about the character and they're weapons. And they don't have to be all moves, move canceling with Maxi would be another application. There's a lot of room for this and it can work without making the game too different.

Dare I say pull from Special modes to some extent...just make it balanced and not retarded.

Needs more down, forward, punch.

Also, WB... are you going to be making these improvements yourself or is namco going to help you out?

Back