Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I definitely like the idea forturning off ringouts but not for online play, that had better not be a thing.

We gotta figure character balance goes into ring outs.

Are steps 100% vulnerable?

The form of the question is strange, but like, 60-70% vulnerable?
Because moves seem to track less, stepping seems faster, and I'm under the impression attacks from movement are faster than those from blocking.

The form of the question is strange, but like, 60-70% vulnerable?
Because moves seem to track less, stepping seems faster, and I'm under the impression attacks from movement are faster than those from blocking.

Sorry, fairly new to the Soulcalibur terms and such. I've been pumping myself full of SC knowledge, including past games, since I've never played a 3D fighter with a competitive mindset (2D boy here). I recall SC2 having step-guard which allowed you to block basically 100% through a step. So I was wondering at what point during a step can you begin guarding in SCVI?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but I am eager to learn. Correct me whenever you can~

I have not posted here a long time. Now i read last few pages in this thread and i see that someone complained about Inferno is "clone" of Nightmare. First of all Inferno is not "clone" of Nightmare. He has same weapon as Nightmare, but he plays differently (he has some Night Terror's moves) than Nightmare.
Second, Inferno is NOT replaced any character that has similar moveset, both Siegfried and Nightmare are in SC6. Do you want play Siegfried? He is there. Do you want play Nightmare? He is there. It's not same problem as SC5 where @ Patroklos replaced Setsuka in SC5. I want play Setsuka in SC5 but she is not there. Setsuka was removed and replaced in SC5 but Inferno is NOT replaced anyone in SC6!
Third, he is BONUS playable character. SC2 has bonus characters lizardman, assassin, berserker. SC3 has bonus characters Hwang, Arthur,Li Long, Revenant... SC4 has Scheherazade, Shura, Ashlotte, Kamikirimusi... Why SC6 can't have bonus playable characters?
Fourth, mimic/dummy/random style is worst thing in fighting games. In tekken Mokujin was just training dummy that's why he used random styles. Inferno is not training dummy, he is boss character who must have his own powerful moveset to prove that he is boss.
Personally i am glad that Inferno has his own moveset in SC6. Finally i can play a character that has Night Terror's moves.

Last edited:
Next folks will make it so devs will make a toggle for wallsplats, damage reduction, and automatic throw breaks. It's not even a matter of hand holding, folks are going to play an entirely different game. Ring outs are meant to happen.
Dude chill out lmfao its only an option dont worry us big boys wont turn it off its for the more casual crowd dont over heat in water.

Dude chill out lmfao its only an option dont worry us big boys wont turn it off its for the more casual crowd dont over heat in water.

i wouldn't even say that's for the casual crowd though either. that seems like an option for those who get annoyed by little things, or those who love fighters with the exception of ring outs.

Hey guys I just want to take a moment and remind everyone to get out there and attend your local gatherings and tournaments.

There's a ton of release tournaments and events happening so put on your least stained cargo shorts, don you best My Little Pony tshirt and Naruto headband, throw some L.A. Looks in your hair (bleached blond tips because they are totally rad), and represent the SoulCalibur community! YYYYEEEAAAAHHHHH!!!!! (fingerless gloves optional, but only if you own more than 6 katanas)

1538527205218.gif

i wouldn't even say that's for the casual crowd though either. that seems like an option for those who get annoyed by little things, or those who love fighters with the exception of ring outs.
Its an option at the end of the day which i think its cool to let ppl choose wheather you like it or not it’s something that we didnt have before is all and i didnt think it was worth the man getting frustrated by something so miniscule.

Hey guys I just want to take a moment and remind everyone to get out there and attend your local gatherings and tournaments.

There's a ton of release tournaments and events happening so put on your least stained cargo shorts, don you best My Little Pony tshirt and Naruto headband, throw some L.A. Looks in your hair (bleached blond tips because they are totally rad), and represent the SoulCalibur community! YYYYEEEAAAAHHHHH!!!!! (fingerless gloves optional, but only if you own more than 6 katanas)

View attachment 51664
Hell fuckn yeah sunday baby ⚓🤙🏼 NYCCC

Its an option at the end of the day which i think its cool to let ppl choose wheather you like it or not it’s something that we didnt have before is all and i didnt think it was worth the man getting frustrated by something so miniscule.
I'm just confused as to how we went from pushing for in-game tutorials to promote growth and understanding for new or casual players to saying that turning off ring outs is good for them. Like, yeah it's optional but it's a terrible precedent.

I'm just confused as to how we went from pushing for in-game tutorials to promote growth and understanding for new or casual players to saying that turning off ring outs is good for them. Like, yeah it's optional but it's a terrible precedent.
Robert im not the argumentive type all i said was it it was cool to have an extra option that we didnt have i think your over thinking it dude nobody said its demoralizing the sc6 fighting meta nor is dumbing down up and coming great players. I get your point but your off base now lets drop it n keep it moving. Stalemate!

Geralt’s weapons:

Really cool that he actually got a full set of weapons. Awesome that CDPR is so open eith Geralt.
Someone just mentioned step-guard, and as someone who hasn't gotten to try the game, to what degree (if any) does step guard exist in this game? Are steps 100% vulnerable?
Afaik step-guard is in for every direction, but backstep-guard is being removed in the day 1 patch according to folks in the community.

It's an event for absolute unfamiliar casuals to watch, if RO would happen they would scream that it's "unfair/scrubby/boring/etc".
Those are promotional matches, there is nothing wrong with cutting the parts that would negatively affect presentation.

So since this is the thread everyone seems to read and post in, I'm going to go ahead and post in here some stuff.

Based on my findings over the Network beta test and some input from various forums and web sources this is how the tier list seems to fall under. No particular order and it's just based on impressions.

Top Tier: Nightmare, Ivy, Tira, Talim and Voldo.
Nightmare - Largely seems to be a lot of power behind some very basic moves (BB and AA both knockdown), Revenge Moves like 6K, 66AA, and power-ups through 2A+B, 4KK, RE K make moves like 33B and 6B into ridiculous powerful pressure and/or damage. Universal basic tracking through 66AA and 66B make him a lot less linear than before. Very good scrub killer

Ivy - Absurd damage off 2B+K not to mention strong ring-out potential. Inescapable throws and unseeable lows and long-range horizontals also make her nasty. The biggest complaints seem to be her range and keepaway power, though.

Tira - Harder to get information on this one, but it seems like everyone loves her RE follow-ups, her damage and general evasiveness. A lot of players continued to mash through her crouching or WS game plan and in general just find her a dominating force. Though, to that end, I find Tira the least understood character that fans played with and against her. And I don't think she's quite top-tier material.

Talim - A lot of this seems to be her basic, never ending strings led to mashing combined with lag and Wind Dancer (2B+K) B to be the main culprit of her power. Others mentioned that she tracks really well despite short reach while others mentioned that it was really difficult to push her away or keep her at their optimum distance.

Voldo - Either because of bugs or lag, some players mentioned that Voldo had some semi-infinite pressure in one of his stances that leads to free low-hitting lethal hits. Much like Talim (and to another extent, Taki), players had trouble pushing Voldo out to optimal range and an inability to punish. There may be something here, but it also could just be latency issues and laggy matches that allowed Voldo to dominate.

Now some basic system stuff that's been noticed through the Network Test Beta.

8wayrun - 8wayrun is indeed less powerful here than it was in SC5. Yeah, it's true. Part of this is because of a rework through several character movelists; there's fewer moves out of 8WR and because every character in the game now has a least one move that has 100% tracking on 8WR'ers. Usually bound to 66AA. Some characters, like Nightmare and Siegfried, have at least two as 66B has even better tracking that before. Good for them, bad for a lot of other characters.

Auto-Evades - Instead of 8WR and step being the main avoidance tools, there's a slew of new auto-evades that a number of characters have. Even big beefy guys Zasalamel and Nightmare have them. Auto-evades are basically built into moves and will automatically overpower certain attacks. There's some bugs here that people ran into with characters teleporting all over the place. This is likely due to issues with the Auto-Evade system and latency losing track of where characters should be.

An example of some auto-evades include characters like Groh, who can dodge vertical attacks with 66AA and 4B. If Siegfried tries to use 66B at the same time Groh uses 66AA, Groh wins. This is kind of counter to previous games in the series where verticals tended to beat out horizontals and stronger attacks beat out weaker ones. On an interesting note, Xianghua seems to have lost a lot of her built-in evasiveness. Many of her older moves (that still remain) no longer crouch early and FC3B seems to have lost its Tech Crouch properties. Meanwhile Siegfried still has his on 6.

16-frame punishers are absent (probably) - Either because of lag, or perhaps general safety of many moves, it appears many of the classic 16-frame punishers are gone, or have been slowed downed. Sophitia's 236B doesn't punish nearly as much crap as it used to, and it's either because it's been slowed down; lag is bad enough that she can't punish; or everything's a little more safer than before. Won't really know until the final game comes out and we can check for ourselves, however.

Soul Charge times are NOT universal - This is actually easy to see when playing multiple characters and running through each one's Soul Charge buff timers. Everyone's seems to vary by a few seconds to near infinite time as is the case with Kilik (his health is lost instead). Nightmare, ironically has one of the shortest Soul Charge buff times while Talim, Groh, Xianghua and Sophitia seems to have the longest.

Not all Critical Edges are safe - This is actually pretty easy to see too. Several characters may appear have safe critical edges, but many do not. Off the top of my head, Kilik, Tira, Voldo, Talim, Taki, and Nightmare do not have safe CEs and can be punished with other CEs. Other characers were a little difficult to check. Pretty sure Ivy does not have a safe CE, either.

A+B is a Universal Break Attack - I mentioned this before, but here it is again. All characters now have a universal break attack on A+B. Though they vary in speed, range and damage, they all have one on A+B. Some can be cancelled too. And of course, all break attacks can break RE and CEs with GI components (ala Nightmare, Ivy, Zas)

Guard Impact restores a lot of Guard Meter - So guarding attacks will weaken your guard meter and performing break attacks and reversal edges will also weaken the meter, but successful clean hits, lethal hits and guard impacts will restore the guard meter. Specific "flash" guarding also seems to restore meter, or at least doesn't cause damage to the guard meter. Note that guard impacts only restore meter if the guard impact is successful. And likewise, aGIs will also restore meter without the chance of damage it if there's a miss.

So, uh, are we counting the locked thread for extra pages, cuz if so, im pretty sure we'd be at least at 1100

Back