Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

"Overall, characters look quite nice, but the same can't be said about the arenas. Some are quite well realized and detailed, others are so simplistic that it's like they come straight from a level editor... and would still need a lot of work. We think here about Desert ruins or Winds plain, basically an arid desert and a green plain. It lacks madness, details, dressing. And to be honest, even the prettiest arenas lack personality."

I actually fully agree with this because for a good while now I came to the conclusion that the stages are the weakest in the series. These past few months I've been watching the older games, analyzing little details to see the differences between each game and just notice from SC2 to SC5 that the stages are simply superior by a wide margin.

TL:DR. SC6 stages are the dullest in the series.

I actually fully agree with this because for a good while now I came to the conclusion that the stages are the weakest in the series. These past few months I've been watching the older games, analyzing little details to see the differences between each game and just notice from SC2 to SC5 that the stages are simply superior by a wide margin.

TL:DR. SC6 stages are the dullest in the series.

In fact i agree with you about the stages and regret the animated ones. But i understand because of budget that it wasn't possible.
In my mind actually SC3 > SC6 because of that and Chronicles of sword, but i'm still super happy to get a Soul Calibur for the first time on PC.
I haven't played SC since SC3, actually i just want to play ! XD

And i absolutely hate visual novels, i've seen SC6 is full of long texts. SC6 will be half of my savings. AND i still want to play SC6.
(I mean, i see flaws in this new game and think the JV.com review is actually a very fair review even if i don't like them much usually. But when i hear "Soul Calibur" i lose my mind and just want to buy and play.)

Last edited:
It's as I feared. Why couldn't we just have the story setup like SC3 Tales of Souls, that mode had just the right amount of text between each match making you feel like you're on an adventure.

That's why i evocated Hand of fate that i'm playing actually, it's actually an indie so with a relatively low budget (probably infinitely lower than SC6), but extremely well realized.
So to replace Chronicles of sword, it would have been financially accessible, and in my eyes much better than a visual novel.

I think we can enjoy the first Soul Calibur PC release and keep a critic perspective.

Last edited:
Here are two videos that are worth watching if you're new to the series:

Thank you. I've played SC3 back in the ps2 era and a bit of SCV. I just wanted to know if there is some specific input or not about movement. I mean it's simply 4 for backdashing, 88 or 22 for sidestepping and so on. Nothing "fancy" going on unnoticed like option selects etc.

The stages in SCVI are definitely a step down from SCV. They feel very static and dead compared to stages like the Torture Chamber, Ivy's mansion, the Chinese temple festival, or any of the battlefield maps. Their only saving grace is changes in the time of day between later rounds. That's on top of there being so few.

--Forgon

Does anyone have like a list of matchups? Like one for each character? It might be a bit early, but I'd like to know so I can get a running start.

I definitely think Stage DLC is a must for SCVI and will be disappointed if we don't get any further down the line.

Tomorrow. Tomorrow. Tomorrow. I can't believe it's TOMORROR. In less than 24 hours, I might be playing it.

Yet the paranoid idiot inside of me is terrified the guy in the store's gonna be like "Oh, I'm sorry, we don't have it in yet" or "Oh, I'm sorry, we've run out" T_T

Back