Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Xianglian actually got it pretty good in SoulCalibur IV, as did a lot of other minor characters. The story mode was one of the weakest points of that game, yes, but that they actually did give a fair bit of unique customization and dialogue, even they they were just CaS clones, it was always one of the few things I unquestionably loved about that game. Hilde’s Valkyries, even the ones that fell to evil, Bird of Passage members, Raphael’s thrills, Frederick, Revenant, Dürer, and others. The list goes on, but I really enjoyed how they handled that.

Lineage of Destiny and The Evil Flame are honestly the only tracks from SoulCalibur VI that I absolutely love, and they're reprisals of old songs.

The soundtrack and the stages are both a few steps back when compared to SoulCalibur V.

Lineage of Destiny and The Evil Flame are honestly the only tracks from SoulCalibur VI that I absolutely love, and they're reprisals of old songs.

The soundtrack and the stages are both a few steps back when compared to SoulCalibur V.

You know, I was looking through the SCVI galleries earlier, and I have to say, tradition or not, it's a pretty ballsy choice to include them in the bonus features when they highlight the fact that literally every other Soul Calibur game puts VI to shame in terms of stage selection. Every previous game has, depending on how you count stage variants, a minimum of 18 and up to 28 stages, per game. SCVI? 12 (including the two guest stages). Soul Calibur, a game made in 1996, has seven more stages--and inexplicably almost all of them have more detailed and inspired artistic design than the average SCVI stage. Even Soul Edge has 13 stages... I'm a fan of this game overall, but if there is a part of its design that is worthy of the description "just plain pathetic", it's the stage selection.

Last edited:
Has Mitsus RE B always been connectable with his CE (for 77 dmg) or is this insane bullshit just added? What the fuck are you thinking, Bamco.

Has Mitsus RE B always been connectable with his CE (for 77 dmg) or is this insane bullshit just added? What the fuck are you thinking, Bamco.
It's been there since the beta. It's one of his bread and butter "combos". Hell, I think it says that in the Mitsurugi tips in the gallery lol.

It's been there since the beta. It's one of his bread and butter "combos". Hell, I think it says that in the Mitsurugi tips in the gallery lol.
I have NEVER seen this. Then again, he's probably the character I encounter least so I never bothered to lab him either. But holy shit. The cheapness is through the roof on that one.

Really love what you guys done with those news characters banner arts, it's quite nice looking.

Also is the 2B one official from SC6 or some fanmade art? don't remember seen this before.

I have NEVER seen this. Then again, he's probably the character I encounter least so I never bothered to lab him either. But holy shit. The cheapness is through the roof on that one.
Gonna have to disagree on that. It's the exact same as using a launcher. People can punish a launcher, with the RE B CE, you can use K, or sidestep and force him to eat a CE.

Gonna have to disagree on that. It's the exact same as using a launcher. People can punish a launcher, with the RE B CE, you can use K, or sidestep and force him to eat a CE.
You deserve a launcher. RE is basically luck. I would much rather have REs separated from CEs entirely; such high damage moves should be rewarded by skillful inputs/timing alone.

You deserve a launcher. RE is basically luck. I would much rather have REs separated from CEs entirely; such high damage moves should be rewarded by skillful inputs/timing alone.
Launchers can be luck too. If I randomly throw one out, or my finger slips trying to do a 6B or a 2B, and get a hit on you halfway through something, then i throw out a CE that's luck too. Luck is relative. RE is more strategic than you think. Mitsu's RE A is trash. His K is the most damaging, and his B opens up for a CE. Or, y'know, don't get hit with RE

That's the thing about RE, it would have been much closer to just luck if all options were equal. Making some options more dangerous than others in different ways in different circumstances for different characters is what makes the system deep. Because you actually have to learn all of those nuances and act accordingly instead of just throwing random moves.

Launchers can be luck too. If I randomly throw one out, or my finger slips trying to do a 6B or a 2B, and get a hit on you halfway through something, then i throw out a CE that's luck too. Luck is relative. RE is more strategic than you think. Mitsu's RE A is trash. His K is the most damaging, and his B opens up for a CE. Or, y'know, don't get hit with RE
Can't agree there. There's a strategic factor to the outcome of REs but achieving said outcome is completely determined by luck of the draw since you simply can't foresee what input is coming your way. No way around this fact. Mishaps with launchers are just that, mishaps. Launchers are normally the result of judicious choices which RE outcomes are not, atleast not to the same extent.

Can't agree there. There's a strategic factor to the outcome of REs but achieving said outcome is completely determined by luck of the draw since you simply can't foresee what input is coming your way. No way around this fact. Mishaps with launchers are just that, mishaps. Launchers are normally the result of judicious choices which RE outcomes are not, atleast not to the same extent.
Do you ever have anything positive to say about the gameplay (or the game itself for that matter) at all?

As you said before, you deserve a launcher right? You deserve RE. RE takes even longer, is easier to punish, costs guard meter and you can get a free lethal hit from it. If you get that hit you can still lose. If you get that hit, you deserve what you get for it. Anyway, just like @Klimat said, characters have different options for RE, so try to guess what the best option is for the opponent, more often than not they'll go for it.

Do you ever have anything positive to say about the gameplay (or the game itself for that matter) at all?
Yes.

As you said before, you deserve a launcher right? You deserve RE. RE takes even longer, is easier to punish, costs guard meter and you can get a free lethal hit from it. If you get that hit you can still lose. If you get that hit, you deserve what you get for it. Anyway, just like @Klimat said, characters have different options for RE, so try to guess what the best option is for the opponent, more often than not they'll go for it.
As I said, the outcome is still by luck of the draw. When it gets down to the nitty-gritty, we still can't control the outcome as surely as we can with launchers. That is why I believe CEs shouldn't be granted as some free bonus if you happen to guess right. You're allowed to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Maybe it would be me worthwhile to engage with the substance of his arguments when you disagree with them, rather than implying a supposed propensity in his character? This thread in particular tends to attract a lot of misanthropic moaning about various topics that are at least somewhat subjective, particularly griefing on particular character movesets and balance changes--an activity I seem to recall you have indulged in liberally yourself in recent weeks, good sir?

Anyway, much as I share your preference for people with a more balanced view, I would much rather have posters who constantly bitch and moan about the game than posters who feel entitled to badger others for too frequently expressing opinions they disagree with. At least Leonhart's criticisms (tediously one-note as some may find them) are confined to an inanimate product and are not leveled at a fellow member of this community merely for expressing their opinions about that product, one-dimensional as they may or may not be. Your first response seems like a fair observation, but the second one, especially in its tone, feels like it is beginning to cross the line into actual harassment.

As I said, the outcome is still by luck of the draw. When it gets down to the nitty-gritty, we still can't control the outcome as surely as we can with launchers. That is why I believe CEs shouldn't be granted as some free bonus if you happen to guess right. You're allowed to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

I agree. While we can argue until our faces turn blue about just how much chance vs. finesse is implicit in RE and whether it is positive addition to the mechanics, we can at least observe that it is the most chance-based feature, as a fairly objective matter, owing to it's unique qualities; it provides no visual ques or context whatsoever to which one can react. That is more or less unique to the series as invokable tactics go. More broadly, I personally see four distinct problems with RE:
  • It breaks up the traditional flow of the game,
  • It is sometimes balance-breaking--or at the very least, annoyingly out of sync with traditional mechanics--in how it is initiated (it is essentially a new vertical with extra advantages and disadvantages, but for most variants and in most contexts, the advantages substantially outweigh the disadvantages),
  • It has no tells within the minigame (a better way of describing the issue than saying it is "random" imo--afterall, SC is entirely about a rock-paper-scissors dynamic and always has been, and that's not the problem with RE really), and
  • To the extent it is easily punishable, it still remains an extreme disservice to the newbies it was mostly added to assist (it stunts their development by making them dependent on a panic button during a crucial phase of developing their skills in a game they are unfamiliar with, and that tool is a great liability to them at higher level play and yet will be difficult to unlearn, I suspect).
Any one of those I would not find too obnoxious on its own but the full package can be a tough pill to swallow at times. It just feels stilted and not a good fit with the typical pacing and weight of Soulcalibur movement and move-countermove calculations. I would disagree with Leonhart insofar as I feel the "randomness" factor is something I could live with--and as others have pointed out here, there's actually a fair bit of nuance which mitigates that complaint some. It's the disjointedness of the whole thing that I find I have trouble adjusting too after so many years of experience with the traditional formula--and which, frankly I don't much want to adjust to because it feels so antithetical to the game I love? Meh. It's a small thing in an otherwise technically solid game, but it's definetly the most noticeable blemish, imo.

Talim CE has become really good, she can spamm it, no risk since can turn back before the third strike, and also recover some HP if it hits, i don´t know if it is new or not but just realize it.

Back